Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
milk sub - for cake

I've searched and searched and can find nothing this a.m.

I would like to know if I can sub soy milk for reg. milk in a cake recipe or just find a good recipe!

I have searched and I can find chocolate but I'd prefer yellow or white or something not carrot/ chocolate (Though chocolate is MY first love... ) I only have soy on hand and cant buy anything this week so I cant go get a mix.

Can ya'll help?

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
nadjarea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: milk sub - for cake

so as far as I know, you can just use soy or rice in place of milk. or use for 1 cup milk, 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons of soy or rice margarine

I've got a couple of recipes for cake dairy free, refined sugar free and pretty much taste great....I'll post them if you want let me know...

Checkerboard birthday cake, carrot cake, decadent chocolate, orange with carob glaze, tofu chessecake,
Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh - I'd like to see the one for the checkerboard cake okay - and the chocolate too - any help in the frosting dept?

thanks so much.!
Old 06-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
nadjarea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay: Checkerboard Birthday Cake (from Healthy Kids by Marilu Henner)

3/4 cup soy margarine at room temp plus extra for greasing
2 1/4 cups unbleached flour
2tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup plus 1TBS soy milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups unprocessed cane sugar
3 large cage-free eggs
1/4 cup grain sweetened chocolate chips, melted
1/8cup unsweetened chocolate, melted
Chocolate frosting (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three 8 in round cake pans. Line the bottoms with wax paper, grease the paper, and dust the pans with flour.

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Put the 3/4 c soy milk and vanilla in a small bowl. in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the 3/4 c soy margarine and the sugar for at least 5 minutes, until nice and creamy. lower the speed to medium low and add the eggs, one at a time. Reduce the speed to low. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk mixture. Beat until smooth.

Spoon half of the batter neatly into a ziploc bag, trying to keep the batter to one side of the bag at the bottom, as if you were filling a pastry bag. Add the melted chocolate and remaining 1 TBS of soy milk to the remaining batter. Spoon into another Ziploc bag. Cut off one inch from the corner of each bag to create an opening. pipe a 1 1/2 inch wide band of chocolate batter around 2 cake pans. Squeeze a 1 1/2 inch wide band of vanilla next to each chocolate band. Add enough chocolate to fill in the center of the two pans so that the whole cake pan is full. in the third pan, repeat the rings, but start and end with vanilla. When assembled, the cake will have a checkerboard look.

Stagger the cake pans in the oven on two racks. Bake for 20 minutes. Test the cakes with a toothpick. It should come out almost clean. Cool on wire racks for about 10 minutes. With a thin knife, loosen the layers and invert them onto a wire rack. Remove the wax paper and cool.

Place one layer with the chocolate on the outside on a cake plate. spread with 1/2 cup of the frosting. Place the layer with the vanilla on the outside on top and frost. Top with the third layer and finish frosting the cake.

Chocolate Frosting:

3/4 cup sucanat
1/4 cup unbleached white flour
3 TBS unsweetened cocoa
1 cup soy cream
1 cup soy margarine at room temp
1 TBS vanilla extract
1/2 cup grain sweetened chocolate, melted and cooled

In a medium saucepan, stir together the Sucanat, flour, and cocoa until well blended. Slowly stir in the soy cream and continue stirring until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens and boils. Reduce the heat to low. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool completely. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the margarine at medium speed until creamy. Slowly add the cooled soy cream mixture. Add the vanilla and melted chocolate and blend well. You may have to refrigerate the frosting a little for a stiffer, more spreadable consistency.

Decadent Chocolate Cake (from Healthy Life Kitchen by Marilu Henner)

1 cup boiling water
3 oz dairy free chocolate
8 TBS soy margarine
1tsp vanilla extract
1c sucanat
2 eggs separated
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup soy sour cream
2 cups minus 2 TBS unbleached all purpose flour, sifted
1tsp baking powder

Chocolate Frosting:
5TBS soy margarine
3/4 cup non dairy semisweet chocolate chips
6 TBS silk soy cream
1 1/4 cups fructose
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
Pour boiling water over chocolate and soy margarine; let stand until melted. stir in vanilla and sucanat, then whisk in egg yolks, one at a time.

Mix baking soda and sour cream and whisk into chocolate mixture. Sift flour and baking powder together and add to batter, mixing thoroughly. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Stir a quarter of the egg whites thoroughly into the batter. Scoop remaining egg whites on top of the batter and gently fold together.

Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the edges have pulled away from the sides of the pan and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes; unmold and cool completely before frosting.

Place all frosting ingredients in a heavy saucepan over low heat and whisk until smooth. cool slightly; add more fructose if necessary to achieve a spreading consistency. spread on cake while frosting is still warm.

Hope you'll like them!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

THanks so much! Ill let you know how it turns out after the party!
Old 06-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
BelovedBird
Registered Users
seller

Yes. We do it all the time, (orthodox jews) because of seperation of meat and milk. You can more or less sub. any liquid for milk and it will be fine. I've used any kind of juice, soy and rice milk, even water if you have nothing else, just use a bit less.

HTH
Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can sub soy, rice or almond milk and almond milk is the BOMB. It adds really good flavor!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
lilybug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Almond milk sounds interesting. dh has lactose intolerance and so many recipes call for milk (he doesn't like soy or rice milk in recipes) so I think I'll try almond milk next. Thanks for the suggestion!
lilybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #9
ChoiceSoaps
Registered Users

I would think that the recipe should be fairly forgiving. I typically substitute a lot in baking recipes--substituting all or most of the liquid with other wet ingredients (like pureed veggies--one of the few ways to get ds to eat them!) or used mashed banana and pureed pineapple and leave the sugar. I just guess at amounts and make sure the batter seems to have the normal consistency. It's always worked out just fine.
ChoiceSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #10
ribbit
Registered Users
seller

I vote for almond milk. Original is the best, imo, the vanilla is a bit sweet. So much better tasting and less heavy/chalky than soy milk. Even my non-veggie hubby prefers almond milk to cow milk.
ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote