Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
MamaPajama79
Registered Users

My Mood:
PTing help?

My DS turned 3 in February. He's not yet PTed. In fact, he's never even gone on the potty. Sometimes he'll sit on it, but he's never actually gone. Here's my problem. For the longest time, he'll tell me AFTER he goes in his diaper that he needs to be changed. Well, for the first time today he told me he had to poop and was walking around all funny. So we calmly went into the bathroom, I took his diaper off and tried to sit him on the potty, but he started screaming and kicking. I even put a stool under his feet, and he was on a potty seat. So, off he came, and he promptly pooped in his pants. He's no better when I put him on his little potty either. Though, he does like to stand at the potty and aim for the water, even though he's never gone.

What can I do to help him not be afraid?

Advertisement

Last edited by MamaPajama79; 06-06-2007 at 09:25 AM.
MamaPajama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: PTing help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPajama79 View Post
My DS turned 3 in February. He's not yet PTed. In fact, he's never even gone on the potty. Sometimes he'll sit on it, but he's never actually gone. Here's my problem. For the longest time, he'll tell me AFTER he goes in his diaper that he needs to be changed. Well, for the first time today he told me he had to poop and was walking around all funny. So we calmly went into the bathroom, I took his diaper off and tried to sit him on the potty, but he started screaming and kicking. I even put a stool under his feet, and he was on a potty seat. So, off he came, and he promptly pooped in his pants. He's no better when I put him on his little potty either. Though, he does like to stand at the potty and aim for the water, even though he's never gone.

What can I do to help him not be afraid?
My dd wasn't PTED till she was 3 1/2. I was a single mom adn lived with my family who insisted she be sat on the potty every 1/2 hour. Needless to say she would scream and cry everytime we sat her on it. It wasn't that she couldn't, it's that she just didn't feel ready. I have a friend who had 8 kids and she said they will let you know when they're ready. She was right. My dd decided one day she was going to do it and it only took 3 days for her to go from diapers to fully trained.

Till then we took her in with us while we went and showed her how we went and that she could be a big girl too. No pressure, just introduction. I'm sure a lot of people will have other ideas but this worked very well for her and I plan to do it with our son too

Mandi
Old 06-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

with dd, i invited her to go with me to the bathroom and said, "one day when you're ready, you'll tee-tee and poo-poo on the potty like mommy and (insert name of hero or older, respected freind or relative)". let peer pressure work to your advantage, for a change!
after a week or so, i started randomly asking if she wanted to sit on the potty, and eventually she did it. no pressure, make it fun, motivational M&Ms for potty deposits (although this did create the problem of her never wanting to leave the bathroom, lol!),
tee-tee was easy for her, but poo-poo required lots of patience because she felt scared.
My ds wanted to sit to tee-tee, so we had to teach him to "point it down", but if yours likes to aim, let him shoot some cheerios in the toilet, or "water the flowers" in the back yard!
Hope it helps, mama.
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Inkdboy
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My son now has been potty trained during the day for 3 weeks..
He's almost 2 1/2, Same scenario as yourself I would place him on the potty and he would kick and scream...would never pee.. I was at my wits end.
One day he had a Diaper Rash and I decided to go nakey for the day.
He had two accidents, and once he realized what it was then he started going on the potty.
Now he will go on it without telling me. Pee and Poop.
So if you have an area in your house or even being outside in the yard.
Let him streak...Lol that just might kick start it
Inkdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

buy him undies and put them on him. When I 1st did this w/ Andew, he peed in them 2 times, down his leg and didnt like it. We are on week 2 of pt'ing and he pretty much stays dry now, even overnights! I put him on the potty every 10 mins, and sometimes when its time to go, he will tell me that he will go himself. He turned 3 on May 1st. Consistency is key. Once you stop the routine, it will all crash.
The boy I sit for turned 3 in November and he's NOWHERE near ready. Doesn't tell me when he has pee or poop in his pull up, and doesnt care. I tell him "you are supposed to tell me when you have to go" and he says "Oh". His mom isnt consistent and I finally told her today "you have to keep on with it because otherwise everything I am doing here is just a waste of time". She wants him in preschool in the fall, and he will be 4 in 4 mos. Its ridiculous to me that he's not trained yet.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
southernmom2three
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Eden just turned 3 last weekend. PL is so frusterating, even when they are 100% ready. Eden has been pooping in the potty since March. Pee has only happened twice. She screams and cries whenever I ask her to wear panties for the day. One day I insisted. She cried for 30 minutes even with her brother and sister cheering her on. That day she stayed dry the entire day by holding it. She didnt have any sort of movement (bladder or otherwise) for 10+ hours =(
So....I guess she is not ready. Im going to try again this weekend. Im hoping as she gets more familiar with the panties thing she will relax and start trying to pee not just poop, in the potty. My plan is to try like every 10 days or so for the entire day, maybe even two days and then evaluate wether or not she is 'ready'.
Good luck. Its not fun is it? However when they are ready it happens so fast. My older 2 kids were trained in a weekends time,it was so nice!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #7
MamaPajama79
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaRhi View Post
buy him undies and put them on him.
Been there, done that. He would just tell us he peed, pull them off, and be on his merry way.
MamaPajama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Inkdboy
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPajama79 View Post
Been there, done that. He would just tell us he peed, pull them off, and be on his merry way.
Thats funny..Gotta love kids.
So I'd say let him run naked around the house, but he might think its neat with a stream of pee shooting out..
Inkdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
AmandaMacK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS1 will be 4 next month and has been potty trained (cept nights) for almost 2 mos. He would never ask to go, want to sit, and would just scream and hollar. We did naked waist down and he got the hang of it and only had 2 accidents. DS2 who is 2 does great naked waist down but still needs dipes for naps, night, and when we go out. I would try that approach and let him decide when he is ready. Pushing him will only result in regression (happened with us). I wouldn't worry too much he's just 3.