Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:
Bread recipes (not for a machine though)

I used to have a bread machine, but never used it and got rid of it. Anyone have an easy bread recipe that isn't for the breadmaker? And let me warn you I have a love hate relationship with yeast! I can never get the water just right. It is either too hot or too cold. Any tips would be great. And BTW we love WW bread, but white is fine too!Thanks so much!

Advertisement

Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:39 AM   #2
sstultz
Registered Users

Re: Bread recipes (not for a machine though)

I've made lots of different bread recipes, and finally came up with my own recipe which is now my favorite. It is a 1/2 white, 1/2 wheat recipe, but my kids love it and it slices great when cool.

2 Tab. Instant yeast (I use Sam's club Fleishmann's 1 lb bag yeast)
2 1/2 cups hot water (about 120 degrees if you check; hot, but not too hot to hold your hand in)
Pinch of sugar
Combine these three things in a small bowl and whisk to dissolve the yeast, then leave alon while you get the next ready.

2 Tab. Barley malt powder (helps w/ rising, but can be left out)
1/4 cup of sugar (can be white, brown, honey, etc)
3 c. whole wheat bread flour
2 Tab. gluten flour (helps w/rising, but can be left out)
Combine these in a large bowl and add your water/yeast mixture; whisk well so everything is well mixed and leave this bowl in a warm place for a while until the mixture puffs up about double; this is called a sponge (most recipes don't do this, but I really think it helps, having done it both ways). This usually takes about 1/2 hr or less. Now stir down and add:

1/4 cup melted butter, margarine, or oil (stir hot stuff in fast!!; or let it cool first or you'll kill your yeast)
1 Tab. salt
as much white bread flour as needed to make a smooth stiff dough (I never measure it!)

Now you knead, knead, knead, adding white flour as needed; it should be non-sticky, elastic (poke a finger in it and the hole pops right back out); I usually knead at least 10 min.; when it feels about right, cover it with a towel and go away for 10-15 min; I get my rising bowl greased and ready now. This is called a resting period.

Come back and knead just a few more times to be sure it is really ready and to get that super smooth baby bottom finish on top. Put upside down in your greased bowl, turn over to grease both top and bottom well; cover with towel and place in warm area until double in size. Punch down, remove from bowl and divide in half. Shape 1/2 into a long, flat rectangle, uses a rolling pin as necessary; roll up from narrow end tightly, tucking in sides and sealing seam by pinching the dough together. Place seam side down in a greased loaf pan. Repeat shaping for other 1/2 of dough. Cover with towel and let rise until almost double or desired size. Place in preheated 375 oven for 35 min. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire rack.

This makes pretty big sized loaves, bigger than 1 1/2 lb. If you want them smaller, just decrease the water to 2 c.; nothing else needs to be adjusted.

Have fun baking!! Let me know how you like the recipe!

Sarah

Last edited by sstultz; 06-23-2006 at 08:45 AM.
sstultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
mommyofsweetones
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's one of my absolute favorite white bread recipes and I'm not a fan of white bread normally. I have tried half white/half whole wheat and it turned out okay, but my favorite is just as it is written. You can make one loaf with just half of the recipe also. Give it a try and see what you think!

OUTRAGEOUSLY EASY BIG BREAD

2 packages yeast
¼ cup warm water
2 cups hot water
3 Tbsp. Sugar or honey
1 Tbsp. Salt
3 cups flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 cups flour

Pour warm water into bowl and add yeast, but do not stir. Set aside

In a large bowl, pour hot water over the sugar and salt and stir to completely dissolve. Combine 3 cups flour with water mixture and stir. Pour the oil on top of the dough mixture then add the yeast mixture on top of that, but do not stir. Top with the remaining 3 cups of flour and mix well. Dough should be pliant and moist, but not gooey. Cover with a damp towel and let rise for at least 45 minutes but not more than 2 hours.

Kneading is not necessary for this bread to turn out wonderful, but you can if you desire. Divide dough in half and flatten into a rectangular shape about ½” – ¾” thick. Roll the dough lengthwise and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with moist towel and let rise again for another 45 minutes or longer. Preheat oven to 375 and bake for exactly 23 minutes. Before the bread bakes, you can slit the top of each loaf a few times and brush lightly with some kind of egg substitute or egg whites, which gives the bread a slightly crunchier crust. Or, you can bake without and then spread a bit of butter on it after baking to give it a softer crust. You can also top with parmesan or Italian seasoning if desired. Enjoy!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, I will try both recipes. Dh is salivating at the mere thought of fresh baked bread, so I hope I don't let him down. I think I will get a food thermometer to make sure I get the h2o at exactly 120 deg, yeast really seems to be my downfall!! I will let you know how they turn out!!
Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
sstultz
Registered Users

Oh, I made a mistake in the recipe I gave you. I just noticed that I put 2 Tab. of salt, when it should really only be ONE Tab. of salt. I will edit the post too!!!

Sorry!!!

Sarah
sstultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tried the outrageous easy recipie...I'll let you know how it turns out! I'm excited. Mmmm, fresh bread!
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote