View Poll Results: Were You Spanked & Do You Spank?
I was spanked and I do spank my dc. 101 42.44%
I was spanked and I do not spank my dc. 97 40.76%
I was not spanked and I do not spank my dc. 33 13.87%
I was not spanked and I do spank my dc. 7 2.94%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #91
mommaliberal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spin Off Poll: Were you spanked & do you spank?

I answered I was spanked.. but it was only once and the threat of it happening again "scared me straight". lol I don't spank my kids.

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #92
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinhomewithmy3 View Post
Sorry to pick on you, but I don't get it. This is basically saying that if your child is playing with another child and the other child does something that your child doesn't like, it's okay for your child to hit the other child as long as he explains why afterwards? Kids follow our examples and this is the example that you're setting.
Neither DH or I were spanked and we do not/will never spank. We frequently use natural consequences, like if my 2 yr old keeps running out in the street (just an example), he has to go inside immediately. After repeating the process a few times, even a 2 yr old gets the point.

Let me tell you as a child when I was spanked I KNEW WHY. My parents told me why and spanked me and sent me to my room. They are children not adults and must be taught consequences. "Natural" consequences don't work with every child or every family.
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:18 PM   #93
DiaperDiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so since their is scripture that says to partake of the blood and flesh of Jesus for communion are you gonna go dig up his grave and act like a cannibal?? why are some versus up for interpreation, but others are strictly literal. In the bible the shepards used their rods to guide their flock and keep them safe. That is how I interpret the scripture. that we are to use discipline to guide our children to make the right choices. sorry but i cant imagine Jesus giving someone a spanking.. should we not try to be more like Jesus was? I think you are manipulating scripture from the bible to support YOUR beliefs, not to follow the example of Jesus or to carry out God's will.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #94
DiaperDiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinhomewithmy3 View Post
This is another thing that I don't get about spanking. If you start out using spanking as your discipline technique when kids are little, what are you going to do when they're too big to spank? Teenagers cannot be appropriately spanked, IMO, and they need discipline & guidance, too.
i think they think if they hit their kids now they wont need discipline later in life but seriously, i agree with you 100%. If you cant handle your kids without physical force you will be in quite a prediciment during the teen years. they will learn to hide things from you out of fear, instead of listening to you because they trust you.

as my husband says it takes a pretty stupid person to get outwitted by a toddler. and if you cant get them to listen without physical force and fear, then you have been outsmarted. Spanking is the easy way out, and sadly, it only gives temporary results, and everlasting fear and resentment.

for those who say "well i was spanked and im okay" well, notice how HALF the people who were spanked dont spank? so oyu want to pay those odds with your children? i guess 50/50 chance that you might ruin your relationship with your kids and their emotional well being is a risk you are willing to take. shame shame.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #95
mandalynnne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was, but I'm not spanking my DCs

WAHM behind TMD

ISO nothing! My girl is mostly pl'ed!
mandalynnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #96
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm amazed by the percentages as well. i was never spanked as a child and have complete respect for my parents, they basically did GD and the only punishments I remember was having to sit in the "naughty chair", I think its a lot about teaching your child respect. I will never hit my son.