View Poll Results: Were You Spanked & Do You Spank?
I was spanked and I do spank my dc. 101 42.44%
I was spanked and I do not spank my dc. 97 40.76%
I was not spanked and I do not spank my dc. 33 13.87%
I was not spanked and I do spank my dc. 7 2.94%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:50 AM   #21
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spin Off Poll: Were you spanked & do you spank?

I don't feel this is necessarily an all NFL community and where all parents practice AP.......LOTS And LOTS of people come just to read the boards, just to cloth diaper and that's it. I'm sure there are other reasons......but when you see the site 'Diaper Swappers'...what does that bring to mind??? Swapping diapers for me and that's why I came....no other reason at first....I sure was awakened by a lot of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansMomma View Post
Yeah this confuses me sometimes too.
I hear people say this is an AP community, but then I see polls like this one and the spankers and the nonspankers are nearly head-to-head in the results, and I think that this is not really all that AP of a place. WHich is fine, I come here for the diaper addiction, not for my parenting stuff really.

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #22
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know, it's just that USUALLY people who are into CDing (enough to visit forums dedicated soley to the subject ) are into a more natural way of living. And generally people into a more natural way of living are into a more instinctual way of rearing their children, which leads to AP when they are babies, and that naturally flows into GD as they grow. I know not EVERYONE feels the same way, I was just surprised at how many people here aren't supportive of the phylosophy of GD thats all. Yes, this is a DIAPER board, but we also have a baby wearing section (which btw is VERY AP) a thrifty section a TTC section and a PARENTING section, all of which have nothing to do with CD. BUT all of which are closely related to CD, as is the NFL lifestyle. However discipine techniques do fall under the parenting spectrum......
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:25 AM   #23
mother4JC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephig View Post
I spank my dc, and I was spanked as a child. After I spank dc I explain why they were spanked and then give love to reassure that I still love 'em!
I completely believe the saying "Spare the rod, spoil the child"
Amy~Wife to: Josh and Mother to: Levi 2/13/00 Lillie3/29/06 Ethan 10/4/07 Evie 5/2/10 #5 Custom wet bags, Nursing Covers, & Wipes Cases, blankets, leggins, onesies I ACCEPT PP & RME Like my facebook page Threaded Thingy's **
mother4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #24
katmarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was spanked occasionally. I don't/won't spank my kids.
katmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #25
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I seen people mention that they believe in the "spare the rod" "spoil the child" bit.
Can you explain to me what *you*take that to mean literally?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #26
Geeki
Registered Users
seller

spare the rod spoil the child.

Sometimes, and I do agree with this. A child needs a "wake up".
Whether running in the street, or a tantrum going on... I think the longest SD did was 5 plus hours of screaming.

I see children behaving in stores, running around screaming, and then I see the parents trying to "reason" with a 2 year old. I dont know but my 7 year old can barely reason...no my 9 year old, she did it at 5 or so...but she's mature. A two year old isnt going to care he cant RUN in the parking lot because he's going to be run over, all he's going to care about is he WANTS to do it.

I've never beaten either of my kids, but I have spanked them. I've never used anything besides my palm of my hand, and never anywhere to cause damage to them. But then again, I've got people who normally hate children, and they love mine.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #27
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was spanked. I do spank. But it's very very very rarely and only as an absolute last resort when no other thing has worked.

And the actual Bible verse is Proverbs 13:24 "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him." (NIV version)

The verse is not at all about spanking. It's about using discipline. Not letting your child do whatever they want, whenever they want. Helping them learn how to become productive adults. Think of a Shepherd's rod. He didn't use it to hurt or hit his sheep. He uses it to protect them from wolves, and to direct them where to go. People who use this verse as a "see, it's okay to hit my kid all the time" excuse are completely wrong. And honestly, from Jesus' example in the Bible, I cannot fathom him spanking a child.

I am not 100% anti-spanking. But I'm far far away from being 100% for it.

Last edited by JustAugust; 06-08-2007 at 12:50 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #28
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

I was not spanked and I was always taught that any form of violence does not solve problems. As a result, I would never ever hit my child. I know some people say its not the same as hitting, but if you "spanked" another adult and then claimed that you were doing it for their own good, it wouldn't hold up. Either way, you hit them.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #29
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
I was spanked. I do spank. But it's very very very rarely and only as an absolute last resort when no other thing has worked.

And the actual Bible verse is Proverbs 13:24 "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him." (NIV version)

The verse is not at all about spanking. It's about using discipline. Not letting your child do whatever they want, whenever they want. Helping them learn how to become productive adults. Think of a Shepherd's rod. He didn't use it to hurt or hit his sheep. He uses it to protect them from wolves, and to direct them where to go. People who use this verse as a "see, it's okay to hit my kid all the time" excuse are completely wrong. And honestly, from Jesus' example in the Bible, I cannot fathom him spanking a child.

I am not 100% anti-spanking. But I'm far far away from being 100% for it.

me too... i was spanked as a child (and beaten, by my dad) and i honestly dont remember a spanking, although i know it happened. i was talking to my mom about it, and she said it didnt happen often. i will spank my kids, but it wont be the first reaction, if something else works first, then thats awesome, but if not, and for certain other things, then a spanking it will be. ive learned lots of other discipline techniques in my years of childcare, and im glad i know them, but im not against spanking occasionally. i am against spanking all the time, for every little thing your child does wrong, whether its spill some juice or something a whole lot worse. that is not good parenting, if spanking is the only way you discipline

and its nice to see someone who knows the meaning of the verse so many people dont

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #30
sageandquinnsmommy
Registered Users

I was spanked, and I practice Attachment Parenting and Gentle Discipline with my children. The fear lorded over me in my home growing up ruined any possible healthy relationship with my parents now. And I was only spanked a handful of times. It was enough.