Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: pacifiers--what do you think?

All three of my boys were bf and took plugs (what we call them round here ). I love them. I WISH my dd would take one! She did for a short time, but usually only in the car. By 6mo, she stopped. What's really crazy is that my 3rd DS didn't take one until he was 6mo! Anyway, as long as breastfeeding is well-established and you're offering the breast first, you should be fine!

Advertisement

ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #12
KarenK
Registered Users

I don't even want to think about how it would have been without binkies in our house! LOL

I'm all for them.

Sewing is my therapy.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
Priscella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first son got a binkie straight from the hospital. I didn't know better, then nurse just pushed it in his mouth. Lukily it didn't bother our breastfeeding relationship. But he had a very high need to suck. So we always used it as last resort. He would want to suck so I would try to nurse him but then he would just end up throwing up all my breastmilk becuase his tummy was sooooo full, so the binkie worked for us. Though he did drop it by about 4-5 months old.

DS2 never took one, he is know 3 months old. He went through a little crying bit at night and I couldn't deal w/ it so I put a binkie in his mouth and pop right out it came, he wants nothing to do w/ it, he likes being held better.

So everychild is different.
Doula and CBE In Training (CBI)
Priscella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #14
jsnichols1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is EBF and has always took a binkie just fine. She's 9 weeks old and has had it from the start.
jsnichols1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with everyone here. Binkies aren't a bad thing and have served their purpose in our home without hurting any breastfeeding relationships or doing away with comfort nursing when it was needed. You gotta use your gut as to when to use one and when to nurse. No biggie.

Our first son rarely took a binkie and I definitely felt like a human pacifier. Our second one loves them and I thank the high heavens he does. lol! But Our first DS was always about 25th percentile for weight and the one that loves binkies is in the 90th for weight. Go figure!
Old 06-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #16
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

Both of mine took them. dd1 actually didn't nurse. We used it to build up her suck strong enough to nurse. dd2 uses one but not a whole lot. Manily when she is getting sleepy and cranky and wants to suck. I comfort nurse some but not a whole lot b/c of my toddler. Its just not fair to dd1 for me to have the baby on the breast all day. So some times it can be a life saver. She is more into teething toys now though.

And since we are on the topic I'll share this pic.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #17
Mommyof2boys
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
My 2 ...

Used judiciously pacis can be a good thing. You need a break too. I do allow my babes to comfort nurse - but not 24 hours a day!

Besides, I have an almost 4 yo who sucks his thumb. It's a nightmare! He won't give it up. We had him cut back to nap and bedtime before the baby was born and now he sucks his thumb ALL THE TIME! I wouldn't mind so much but it's begun to interfere with the way his teeth line up and his jaw development. UGH!!!!!!!!!! A paci can "disappear", we are not going to remove his thumb. (Beating head while thinking of large bill for orthedontist ...)

JMHO
EXACTLY! Which is why we kinda "forced" it on both of our sons in the hossy...Both have (had) a strong urge to suck..and like PP said, you can't take their thumbs/fingers away later, but you CAN take the paci!
Mommyof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #18
Isabellasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My ds will not keep them in his mouth and wants to suck all day long. He is only 7 weeks and has not used them a whole lot, I wish he would. My dd used hers and we just took it away at 6 months and it worked great. I think that they are a good thing for the occasional use and as long as you take it away early enough.
Isabellasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #19
RetroBaby
Witty title here
seller

My Mood:

I WISH that my baby would take a paci. My first 2 used them and it was a wonderful calming tool and they both weaned from them very easily. New baby DS wants nothing but the boob. Every couple days I try to give him a binky and he gags on it and acts very offended. I've honestly tried since birth to get him to take one but he is a die hard boob man. *Sigh* well, maybe AF will stay away because he nurses every 45 mins.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #20
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my babies have been paci kids and neither one have had issues. My daughter definitely needed hers all the time which in turn made it hard to get rid of it..but DS only tends to want his when he's sleepy, I suppose for a comfort measure...I wouldn't worry about it. If you start seeing that she's getting confused, just get rid of it..