Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #31
newmom91403
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: pacifiers--what do you think?

I used pacifiers with both my girls because they were using me as one after they were definetely done eating. It never interfered with their eating. I was also lucky 1st dd gave it up on her own at 9 months and 2nd dd only seams to use it to chew on now that she is teething.(definately do't want to be used for that purpose!)

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #32
Pookie2804
Banned
seller

My Mood:

We had all of our children on the pacifier/binkie at the hospital and all were EBF (for the first 6 months and then self weaned at over a year) and we never had any problem with nipple confusion or anything the whole time we were BF..my children would not take a bottle.. but would take a ninnie go figuire
Pookie2804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #33
Pookie2804
Banned
seller

My Mood:

oh and about being swaddled my youngest HATED it at the hospital they drove me nuts telling me i needed to swaddle him he would scream and scream
Pookie2804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #34
momma2three
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: pacifiers--what do you think?

Each child is different. I didn't know any better with my 1st and he had a pacifer that the hospital gave him since like the moment he was born. He was an awesome eater and I had no problems breastfeeding him whatsoever...no problems nursing, etc. It was a true miracle that I had no breastfeeding issues, in general (not because of the pacifier), I had no clue what I was doing, but everything went like a dream (minus the 3 days of engorgement when the milk came in...LOL). My 1st used the paci all the time until he was 4 months old when I took it away (so he didn't get addicted and *need* later on..not a fan of the 2 yo with paci, JMO) My 2nd used a paci right away too. I just needed a breaks at the hospital, she was wearing me out and the paci really calmed her. She nursed no problem as well. The only issue I had was 2x in the whole 10 months I nursed her I got a clogged duct. My last wasn't at all smooth. I'm so glad I was an experienced nurser! In the hospital, despite the lacation consultants help we could not get my daughter to open wide enough to get a good latch. She was getting something (so she wasn't starving), but I was in extreme pain, like I've never felt. The lactation consultant kept hiding the paci from my daughter and the nursery people would get mad. I thought maybe she shouldn't have a paci, due to our issues. The hospital was using the soothie paci's and they are small. After a frustrating and painful feeding in the hospital, I got the *idea* to buy a large bulb paci, obviously not for newborns (it was for 0-3 months though so it wasn't gigantic!) and used that with her for a day and she learned to open her mouth with that after that first day and she was nursing just fine after that! I kept using it religiously for another month and it really fixed our nursing problems.

Wow, so sorry this is forever long. My husband has been gone since 6:30am and still won't be home for another 3-4 hours, guess I just needed to chat with someone over 4

Paci's didn't hurt any of my nursing experiences and actually fixed one, so I give them a But I realize, every child is different, so you never know....
Old 06-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #35
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

I didn't read the other posts but I'd say give it a try. Some babies like to suck for comfort. There's nothing saying dd will take it anyway. None of mine took them well.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #36
funkymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad for this thread b/c so often I feel guilty about using a paci, even though it helps DS. We started on it in the hospital b/c my nipples might have just fallen off without it. We've realized DS just likes to suck. His hands were in his mouth from the start (even in the u/s's), more so now that he's discovered them.

The thing that drives me crazy is using it at night. He'll fall asleep w/out it, but when he wakes up later for comforting and takes the paci, then he'll spit it out before he's fully asleep and start all over again. So, at night, I try to get him back to sleep w/out it, but it doesn't always work that way.

Last edited by funkymama; 06-09-2007 at 08:04 PM. Reason: eta
funkymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #37
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:

When we had our son at the hospital we were all gun ho about not giving a paci, to not cause nipple confusion... Well three days after we had him we had to!!! He was just always wanting to suck... He is a sucker big time, and will chew on his hand.. He is 6m now... And I still nurse him full time, and he takes his paci when he wants it.. Now he can put it in his own mouth!! But I would just do what you feel is right at 6weeks I doupt she will have any nip confusion... Sounds like you are just need to do what you feel is right!
TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #38
jaimegrrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

You sound just like me! I was also very anti-paci in the beginning, and then when my dd was about a month old we had a night where she stayed up all night and would scream if she wasn't attached to my breast - and it only got worse the longer she stayed up because she became more and more tired! Then at about 7:30AM, I had her on my shoulder rubbing her back and she just started sucking on her hands and fingers. It just kind of hit me that that was all she wanted, something to suck on! I know this seems silly, but I actually felt guilty for "denying" her this basic instinct. So, we broke open the one package of pacis I had in the house (a gift from a baby shower), which were silicone nuks, I boiled them, and eventually, she decided they were a good idea. She was asleep within 10-15 minutes! My daughter definitely knows the difference between the binkie and the breast though, and if she is hungry, she will definitely let me know! The binkie is still no substitute for mom, and that was probably my biggest concern. I know that it is hard at first to give them a paci when you are so set against it ... I probably felt just as guilty for letting her have it as I did for not letting her have one for so long if that makes any sense! You just have to do what feels right for you and your baby!
Starting the addiction all over again!! ISO: Grovia WOODLANDS print (shell or AIO), Swaddlebees/Blueberry DINO party and ELEPHANTS prints, Best bottoms HEDGEHOG cover/AIO, OBV wipes, Aden & Anais BOYish burpy bibs and swaddling blankets...
jaimegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:33 PM   #39
GiannasMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dd wont take one AT ALL
GiannasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #40
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Both BFd boys had pacis & they did fine & it didn't interfere at all.

DS#1 I didn't give him one until he was about 4-5 months old & I only did it for trip on airplane (traveling from Japan to US & back & throughout US, etc several times). Took it away at just over a year. It was easy peasy.

DS#2 had it from day 1 in the hospital... he still nursed like a champ & never had any issues. Anyway, he is almost 17 mos & still has it but only at night. We plan to take it away after our move.

While DS#1 probably could have done w/o it, I am so thankful that we used one w/DS#2. I'd have gone mad w/o it. We didn't depend on it & have it in his mouth every waking our - that bugs me. He nurse on demand & if we were doing something & he wanted to nurse, he nursed, but sometimes he just wanted the sucking action & it had nothing to do w/the breast or eating. I'd slip the paci in & I could actually do something. I am NOT exaggerating by saying I would have him latched on for hours & hours & hours if we didn't have that paci. I'd take it out if he didn't clearly need & I could tell if he needed to eat or wanted just to suck. I also always offered the breast first. Generally, this was after he had eaten & fallen asleep.