Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Getting soaker soaked/compression leaks.. advise?

Even with our new Kiwi Pie Zzz cover

I am washing in wool wash containing lanolin, and then using lanolin spray every 2-3 uses to freshen it up a bit. Patting it in, then letting it dry completely before using again.

Is there anything else I could be or should be doing? We're already using heavy wetter fitteds and while they are wet in the morning/after a car ride, they are not sopping/drippy/drenched.

More lanolin? Less? Ideas? The various covers we are using, which are all doing it, are:

First Class Baby wool
Luxe pull-on
Kiwi Pie ??? wool
Kiwi Pie Zzz
Graceful Baby Designs

in a few circumstances this has caused bleeding from the wool. I've fixed that w/vinegar and then rewashed/relanolized.

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #2
Diapersewingmama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Getting soaker soaked/compression leaks.. advise?

Just one question, do you still do a full lanolizing treatment every 4-6 weeks? I found this on llamajama site http://www.llamajama.com/products/ar...php?article=14

It seems they suggested that the spray only acts like a booster between lanolizing but if you are then I really don't know what else to tell you. Maybe someone else will have some other suggestion.

New Innovative One Size Diaper
Diapersewingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Emma S
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

with all my wool I do a wash with the lanolin containing wool shampoo, and then a seperate overnight soak in a full lanolin treatment (I use laninosoh(?) the stuff you use for sore nipples when breast feeding which is 100% lanolin, or you can buy pots of pure lanolin) I dissolve it in hot hot water (A big glob) with a bit of baby shampoo, then add to a lanolin impregnation treatment in a bucket and leave for at least 12 hours - sometimes 3 days by the time I get round to it. Wring them out in a towel and dry. Sometimes they are a little sticky, as I tend to go heavy on the lanolin, but that wears off quickly, and they definately dont leak. I have bought things which have been pre-lanolised, but they have not held up, and so I have given them another soak in this heavy duty mixture and they have been fine.
This has worked on Luxe pull ons, Kiwi pie side snap wool wraps, knitted woolys, fuzbaby and rumpknits

emma xx

www.thehollowoak.co.uk
www.hyenacart.com/thehollowoak
Emma S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
klindsey82
Registered Users
seller

Are you sure its your wool and not the fitteds your using underneath? I'm still such a noob, but it sounds like your doing everything right in your treatment of your wool.

oh, and I have read that no matter what you use for wool, its not good for long car rides because of compression leaking.

and one more thought- do you use prefolds? or just fitteds? I saw a link the other day to some prefolds that have a hidden PUL layer that is supposed to help with compression leaks, they were called beatle something or others.. on the HC.

GL and hope someone has some more advice for you
klindsey82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
with all my wool I do a wash with the lanolin containing wool shampoo, and then a seperate overnight soak in a full lanolin treatment (I use laninosoh(?) the stuff you use for sore nipples when breast feeding which is 100% lanolin, or you can buy pots of pure lanolin) I dissolve it in hot hot water (A big glob) with a bit of baby shampoo, then add to a lanolin impregnation treatment in a bucket and leave for at least 12 hours - sometimes 3 days by the time I get round to it. Wring them out in a towel and dry. Sometimes they are a little sticky, as I tend to go heavy on the lanolin, but that wears off quickly, and they definately dont leak. I have bought things which have been pre-lanolised, but they have not held up, and so I have given them another soak in this heavy duty mixture and they have been fine.
This has worked on Luxe pull ons, Kiwi pie side snap wool wraps, knitted woolys, fuzbaby and rumpknits

emma xx

i think you need to be doing a full lanolization. when i wash i use the wool wash w/the lanolin in it...but i also use about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the lanisoh lanolin melted in HOT (i put a cup in the microwave for about 30 seconds) water with a bit of baby shampoo...shake it up then add it to the water before immersing the wool.

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13

Last edited by myajdw; 06-10-2007 at 01:53 PM.
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd get a little bottle of pure lanolin (Northern Essence) and squirt a bit in your sink then fill with warm water and wool wash and swish around with your hands. I usually add some of the spray kind after I take the wool out of the sink in the wetzone! No leaks!
Old 06-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oooh, no I hadn't been doing that! Just washing with wool wash that contained lanolin and going on about it.. lol

I will definitely give that a shot.

I think I will try to stick to the BPs for car rides.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
Emma S
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If I had been really crafty I would have said "no, wool does that" and then offered to buy your kiwi and Luxe off you

emma xx

hope they work for you, if not, you know where I am!!!

www.thehollowoak.co.uk
Old 06-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*giggle* I won't be selling that kiwi, but we're almost out of the 2 mediums I have and I'll try to remember to PM you first
Old 06-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
Emma S
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That would be fab. I am in the UK and always miss the stockings as I am always asleep!!
emma xx

www.thehollowoak.co.uk