Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #21
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok Seriously, get off my BACK!!

Quote:
hehe, i wouldn't leave my kids with my MIL either....ever....ever.....ever

LOL! Yay! I'm not alone! I mean I love my MIL and all. She is really nice, but she parents completely differently than I do, plus she has a tendency of not asking before doing things. She tries to force my DD onto the potty, give my DD a bath when one isn't necessary, lectures DD (tells her over and over how she is being bad and what she has to stop doing), and just plain takes over MY job as mother. I don't appreciate it, so she will not get my kids. The only ppl who get to watch my kids are my parents, my older sister, my younger sister (the one right after me in the family), and a very very good friend of the family who I call grandma. Sounds good to me.....DH on the other hand thinks it's not fair, but he goes along with it, cuz he knows that I'm the Mama and that is all there is to it.

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #22
heather_c
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I get it, too, but mostly from my ILs. I do not have any problems being the family weirdo. They have mostly stopped asking about it. My usual response is that cow's milk is for baby cows, and why should he received a sub-standard substitute when he can have the milk specially made for him?

Keep up the good job!!!

Last edited by heather_c; 06-08-2007 at 04:11 PM.
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #23
mum0fthr33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I heard this alot from my Dh and my MIL. DH wanted me to wean our son at 6 months because the boobs were off limits to him LOL My MIL would say how long are you going to BF him your only doing it out of your lazyness and convience WHATEVER there is nothing convient about having a baby attached to your breast all day long. So at 10 months I told them I had stopped breastfeeding and would pump in the middle of the night and give him breastmilk in the bottles when they were around and I would BF when they weren't around. My MIL was over one day when he had a bottle of breastmilk and said see how much he loves that bottle I bet he doesn't even miss that nasty breastmilk I said your right he doesn't miss it I left it at that rather then saying he doesn't miss it because he is drinking it right now
mum0fthr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #24
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately they will probably have an opinion no matter what you say. My ds was 25 months when he weaned... I just ignored the comments from my family and stopped answering their questions.... it really was none of their business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsiemomma View Post
I swear everytime I talk to my mom, my Grandparents or my great grandma....the one enevitable question comes up or I get their unsolicited advice...wean her. She needs to be off the boob now. What are you gonna nurse her until she goes to school?
She's only 20 months old, and if I want to nurse her until she's 4, THAT'S MY DECISION. So back the freak up and let me raise my own child.

Argh, I'm just sick of defending my choice to let my daughter self wean. Any ideas on how to get my family off my butt about it? Or is it just one of those things that they will always have an opinion on? Geeezzzz!!
Old 06-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #25
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Nothing makes me more sad than to see a teeny tiny baby in the car seat carrier/stroller with a bottle propped in his/her mouth. Babies should be held when fed - whether it's a bottle or the boob!

JMO.

I TOTALLY agree, it makes me sad to see a baby of ANY age with a bottle propped up to its mouth...... as well as the babies I see crying in carts and the moms are too busy shopping to try and soothe them
Old 06-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #26
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthydiva View Post
What would happen if you

a) told them how much it bothered you
b) ask them not to discuss their feelings about it with you
c) let them know that you felt it was rude of them to question your parenting

?

ED
If I did any of those things, it would start WW3 in our family...I have a family full of strong, stubborn, opinionated women who do not like to be told they are wrong and will fight tooth and nail when told they are. If I want peace, I don't want to say anything, my mom I can handle, my Gramma and Nene will never shut up if I say anything.
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #27
Meredith+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tell 'em everytime they ask, I'm adding another year.

It really will slack off eventually. And if you have subsequent children, you won't have to do it quite as much again. I was lucky enough to have an older sister who pre-shocked my family, so they were very matter-of-fact about nursing by the time I came along.
Meredith+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #28
-Blair-
Registered Users

Tell them you'll stop nursing her when an expiration date is stamped across your breasts.

Currently struggling with infertility (recurrent pregnancy loss).
-Blair- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #29
mamax3
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsiemomma View Post
If I did any of those things, it would start WW3 in our family...I have a family full of strong, stubborn, opinionated women who do not like to be told they are wrong and will fight tooth and nail when told they are. If I want peace, I don't want to say anything, my mom I can handle, my Gramma and Nene will never shut up if I say anything.
What could they say that would be worse than what they are now? I think you should tell them those things and provide some proof of the benefits of extended nursing and the normalcy of it. Tell them you will "wean" around 4 years and that's your decision... they need to hush about it and let you raise your child without adding to the stress of it. My family is a something like yours in that they pretty much buck at everything I do as a parent. I can shut them up really quickly by saying "Plenty of people do it and their children aren't dead, scarred, or sickos - I can prove it to you if you want, the benefits of ___ _____ ____" Then once they face the reality that they're not always 100% correct on everything, they stop. My mom finally stopped asking me when I was going to wean DD when we were out in public and another woman was nursing her 3 year old (or so) and I said loudly, "Wow I really admire you, I hope we can nurse that long," and Mom saw the pleasant conversation we had. **Lightbulb** it's not TORTURE Mom, it's natural!! So, I hope there is some way you and your family can agree to dissagree.... the comments are a PITA I know! GL
6 on the road

Last edited by mamax3; 06-08-2007 at 05:18 PM.
mamax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #30
-Blair-
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum0fthr33 View Post
I heard this alot from my Dh and my MIL. DH wanted me to wean our son at 6 months because the boobs were off limits to him LOL My MIL would say how long are you going to BF him your only doing it out of your lazyness and convience WHATEVER there is nothing convient about having a baby attached to your breast all day long. So at 10 months I told them I had stopped breastfeeding and would pump in the middle of the night and give him breastmilk in the bottles when they were around and I would BF when they weren't around. My MIL was over one day when he had a bottle of breastmilk and said see how much he loves that bottle I bet he doesn't even miss that nasty breastmilk I said your right he doesn't miss it I left it at that rather then saying he doesn't miss it because he is drinking it right now
OH ... MY .... GOSH!!!! I can't BELIEVE your MIL said that to you!

Currently struggling with infertility (recurrent pregnancy loss).
-Blair- is offline   Reply With Quote