Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
kflynnr4219
Registered Users

New to breastfeeding...Tips?

Hi guys! I am expecting my Lo on the 19th of this month and have so many breastfeeding questions! With my first son I did not get to have that experience ( it is a long awful story) but this time I plan to really try and do this. Do any of you ladies have any advice for a first timer? I know about the golden hour rule and the basics on how to get him to latch but that is it. Any advice or ideas would really be appreciated!

Advertisement

kflynnr4219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: New to breastfeeding...Tips?

My advice is, don't give up. Even if you are latching right, it will still hurt at first...it took me two months with my first before it stopped hurting when he nursed. But it does get better! (Not trying to scare you, it just took me by surprise and I thought I was doing something wrong when it still hurt. I asked my mother-in-law, who is a nurse, if maybe I had thrush or something because nursing was painful, and she said no, that's normal, it gets better.)
What's the golden hour rule? Somehow I've managed to nurse 5 babies without learning that one!
Old 05-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
kflynnr4219
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRXB View Post
My advice is, don't give up. Even if you are latching right, it will still hurt at first...it took me two months with my first before it stopped hurting when he nursed. But it does get better! (Not trying to scare you, it just took me by surprise and I thought I was doing something wrong when it still hurt. I asked my mother-in-law, who is a nurse, if maybe I had thrush or something because nursing was painful, and she said no, that's normal, it gets better.)
What's the golden hour rule? Somehow I've managed to nurse 5 babies without learning that one!
The golden hour rule is having the baby latch within and hour of birth and be skin to skin with them for that hour as well. It's what they told me at the "birthing" class.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

It doesn't hurt for 2 months for everyone. I mean don't be afraid - it will hurt some at first, but not necessarily horrible pain, and not always for long. My advice would be to go to mom's group at your local hospital for lactation support. Most hospitals offer it, and you find out when it is and then try to go every week or as much as you can until you feel comfortable with nursing. You can talk to other moms, nurses and/or lactation consultants there and make sure all your worries/fears/questions are being resolved as they come along. You can also weigh your baby before and after nursing so you'll know how much milk LO is getting.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRXB View Post
Same! It always took me way more than the quoted 2 weeks to get through the nipple pain. I have never had a baby with latching issues, but for some reason my body just takes longer to adjust. Don't worry if that is you too!

Have a pump on hand to help with engorgement.

If you are nervous about milk transfer since you are used to bottle feeding and seeing how much they are consuming, a scale is helpful. I didn't use it after each feeding session to see exactly how much they were eating, but weighing them every few days and seeing weight gain was very reassuring to me. I think a lot of people fall into the trap of assuming that a cranky baby is as hungry baby and then start supplementing when it is not necessary. If you see that healthy weight gain, that can help you stay away from that as well.

Good luck! You can do it .
Old 05-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
kflynnr4219
Registered Users

Do you guys mean a regular scale or do they make ones for this? I know my regular scale doesn't do onces. And thank you ladies for the advice!?
Old 05-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have four babies and have breastfed each one. With every one, nursing was painful for an amount of time, and I was always surprised because I figured I should be "used to it"! But every baby is different and you both have to learn the process.

With my first, I believe she was so small (5lbs) and just didn't have a good latch and it was a stressful introduction into motherhood. With my fourth, I thought something might be wrong even though he was gaining weight, and he ended up getting diagnosed with both a tongue- and lip-tie (trust your instincts). Take advantage of local resources; I made an apt with my hospital's lactation consultants to help diagnose our nursing issues, which is how we picked up on the ties (he needed minor surgery to correct them).

I actually wouldn't bother with a scale because it might get you obsessing about the numbers, and really you should just be paying attention to whether or not he's thriving. I felt awful when my daughter's pediatrician told me she had poor weight gain and I should give her formula because she was small; I didn't feel comfortable with her advice and it turns out it's just her pattern of growth. Not every baby fits the growth averages and certainly not "x amount of ounces per feeding."

One of the things I struggled with and didn't understand at first is that your body makes milk based on supply-and-demand, but that when your baby goes through a growth spurt, he or she will want more but your body has to up its production, which takes a bit of time... so while your baby might get fussy and seem like he isn't being satisfied, it's only for a short time.

Really, you need to relax and not be hard on yourself! It doesn't always come easy even to "seasoned" mamas. Don't rush your baby, try to empty each breast, and don't obsess about it but I just try and make sure to nurse on both sides at each feeding (or start with the side that wasn't used previously). I've said a number of times, "babies can at least count to two!" If I don't offer the other side, my little guy knows.

I wouldn't bother with expensive nipple creams, as expressing a bit of breastmilk and letting it air dry on your skin helps. Breast milk truly is liquid gold!

I also believe co-sleeping and nursing go well together, but perhaps that's another subject entirely.

All the best! My fourth is now almost 9 months and I'm so sad he's getting so big... he might be our last. I LOVE nursing my babies and do it for as long as possible. My first self-weaned around 18mos but I nursed the next two til' after 2 years. I believe it's made a big impact on their overall health and well-being.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflynnr4219 View Post
Do you guys mean a regular scale or do they make ones for this? I know my regular scale doesn't do onces. And thank you ladies for the advice!?
A baby scale. You can find them on Amazon in the $30 - $40 range.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
Darkfyre
Registered Users

I would make contact with a local La Leche League before birth. I went to a meeting or 2 before and it was such a relief to have a knowledgeable resource available when I ran into problems. The leader gave me encouragement and phone contacts for lactation consultants. Don't be afraid to ask for help. This is a new skill for you and baby. If you are having a hospital birth look into the available resources and know how to access them after birth. The book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is also a great resource to have. Lots of knowledge and tips.
Darkfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
tgalicia
Registered Users

Be patient and give it time.
tgalicia is offline   Reply With Quote