Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
What's cooking Decmber 2017

I always like to read what's happening in your kitchens.

Trying a new recipe? Just making a usual dinner?

Share what's cooking in your kitchen.

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: What's cooking Decmber 2017

We have a problem. Almost all of the food in our chest freezer is coming out tasting and smelling like gasoline. I'm so upset about it. We had this problem earlier this summer and I took everything out, defrosted the freezer, and threw less-well-packaged items out, but the problem seems to be back and I can't stand throwing out food! I don't understand what is causing it, but we're leaving tomorrow until after Christmas, and when we get back I'm going to just start fixing everything I can from there in hopes that I can weasel out some good from it before it all goes bad. So today was chili, but it tasted bad so it's going in the trash
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am trying to cook using what we have instead of grocery shopping to fit recipes. Last night I made mini calzones using a tube of biscuits, meatballs, cheese, and pasta sauce. I plan to do this at least through the first of the year and see where we are at then. Two nights ago I made breakfast pizza. Tonight I think I will make nachos. Not sure about the rest of the week yet.

I've been getting the $5 holiday tubs of popcorn from Wal-Mart and I seriously could live off of popcorn recently.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
We have a problem. Almost all of the food in our chest freezer is coming out tasting and smelling like gasoline. I'm so upset about it. We had this problem earlier this summer and I took everything out, defrosted the freezer, and threw less-well-packaged items out, but the problem seems to be back and I can't stand throwing out food! I don't understand what is causing it, but we're leaving tomorrow until after Christmas, and when we get back I'm going to just start fixing everything I can from there in hopes that I can weasel out some good from it before it all goes bad. So today was chili, but it tasted bad so it's going in the trash
I'm so sorry! Throwing out food is the worst! That's such an odd problem. Any idea what's happening?
Old 12-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Well our freezer is in the garage and we used to hang the string trimmer above it, so I thought it was leaking gas which somehow got into the freezer? But then we moved the string trimmer and cleaned out the freezer really well, so now I have no idea. I was just reading online - maybe I need to empty the freezer and actually let it air out for a week or so before putting anything in it
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Well our freezer is in the garage and we used to hang the string trimmer above it, so I thought it was leaking gas which somehow got into the freezer? But then we moved the string trimmer and cleaned out the freezer really well, so now I have no idea. I was just reading online - maybe I need to empty the freezer and actually let it air out for a week or so before putting anything in it
Can you put baking soda in there? Like people do in their fridge?
Old 12-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Are you or the store you purchase food from using new packaging material? I wonder if it's off gassing?

I made chicken soup and a potato water bread and another loaf from a starter I'm experimenting with.

My eldest has come back with a voracious appetite so I'm keeping busy in the kitchen.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I attempted pretzels today. The recipes I found online all said to use a baking soda bath--either dissolved in warm water or boiling water. Turns out I can't stand the taste of baking soda. So I finally gave up on that step and just skipped to the egg wash and baking and they are SO much better. Not authentic, maybe, but at least they aren't gross!
Old 12-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #9
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
I attempted pretzels today. The recipes I found online all said to use a baking soda bath--either dissolved in warm water or boiling water. Turns out I can't stand the taste of baking soda. So I finally gave up on that step and just skipped to the egg wash and baking and they are SO much better. Not authentic, maybe, but at least they aren't gross!
I don't think I've made them that way. Is the bath supposed to make them shiny?

Did you make them salty or sweet?
Old 12-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #10
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I don't think I've made them that way. Is the bath supposed to make them shiny?

Did you make them salty or sweet?
I don't think so...I'm not sure exactly what it is supposed to do. But all the recipes I looked at said to do it. Then I looked at my sister-in-law's recipe (that I've had forever, and never actually made), and no baking soda wash. Should have started with that one!

I made them salty. The ones that turned out are really good, at least.