Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #11
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pediatrican suggests supplementing

I wouldn't. We had a very similar situation where DD gained just under 2 pounds between her 6 M and 9M checkups. She dropped from the 50% percentile to the 20% percentile. My pediatrician just told me to maybe add some more fat to her diet with cheese and yogurt, and to make sure I am feeding her as much as she wants to eat, and stop the portioning. She did not tell me to supplement, though. DD did grow three inches in that same time period, and went up to the 75% in height, from 50%, so they weren't concerned about malnourishment. We just assumed all her calories were going toward height, not weight. The growth charts Doctors use are generally made by Formula companies, and it is completely normal for BF'ed babies to slow their weight gain from 6 M on. The growth charts do not account for the slowing of growth. Think about it...The composition of your BM changes around that age, and the composition of Formula does not. Just try to make sure DC is satisfied, and maybe add some more fat to DC's diet, but I don't think you're needing to supplement. It sounds like you're doing a great job!

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

This happened to arabella at nine months also. She had a growth spurt and grew a couple inches but hardly gained any weight. She was pretty chubby from birth so she thinned out. Dr suggested formula and I ignored her.
She was perfectly healthy and doing great. She just takes after her parents
bellamama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #13
surprisesarefun
Registered Users

As long as she's not losing weight, I wouldn't worry about it. Pediatrician's lately seem to be looking for an excuse to get mothers to supplement or stop nursing all together.
surprisesarefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #14
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

If she's peeing and pooping and seems satisfied, I'm sure she's fine.

DS gained very little from 6 months to 12 months and dropped from the 75th %ile for weight to the 50th. He's stayed in the 50th since then. Our pedi didn't say anything except "it looks like he's finally found his spot on the growth curve."
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Yeah i SOOO wouldn't supplement either that's a SURE way to STOP nursing. I also agree they are looking for ways to get moms to stop they try to scare us.

My dd was the same way she didn't gain EVEn an ounce from 6-12 months no kidding and then all the sudden she put on like 4 pounds in just 2 months. She's VERY active always has been NEVER EVER still. LOL I would just go by diapers and how she acts NOT her weight. Also after researching this a ton I've found that it's very common for bf babies to do this they don't get fed too much when they nurse on demand, also they aren't getting a lot of fat they don't need. Your dd is bigger than my dd at that age. My dd just hit 20 lbs at her 18 month appt. I think now that she's 21 months she mIGHT be 21lbs. LOL

Hang in there you're doing GREAT and doing what's best. Doctors aren't taught much about breastfeeding so to them anything they can count makes their lives better but NOT your babys'.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #16
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DITTO to what everyone else said. Also, a bowl of oatmeal a day really does wonders for your supply too and mothers milk tea. Also, if your LO is really active, then that could be a reason for weight loss as well....and you might wanna get her iron checked. nooooooo formula, tell that dr. where he can shove that artificial crap
Old 06-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #17
nadjarea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsMommy View Post
If she's peeing and pooping and seems satisfied, I'm sure she's fine.

DS gained very little from 6 months to 12 months and dropped from the 75th %ile for weight to the 50th. He's stayed in the 50th since then. Our pedi didn't say anything except "it looks like he's finally found his spot on the growth curve."
exactly

a peeing pooping happy baby is generally a well fed baby. I'd tell that dr to stuff it and find another one.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #18
Michelle8903
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone. Your responses have helped a lot. I knew that I shouldn't supplement but I guess I needed some reassurance that it was the right choice. Kyla's my first so I can't really claim that I always know what I am doing. They did check her iron levels (routine at 9 month check) and they were a-okay so no worries there.

I tell ya though, I would kill for her metabolism.

Bye Bye formula, I love my string bean!
Michelle8903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #19
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS2 actually lost a few ounces between 6 and 9mo. Now, I did have problems with my supply and was already supplementing, but I didn't change anything I was doing. He was an active, healthy, growing baby! Then between 9 and 12mo, he gained 5lb!!! Why? Because I finally gave up on trying to bring back my milk and switched the rest of the way to formula at about 11mo. Ick. Yeah, it does make babies gain weight, but it's not necessarily best for them.

Once he reached toddlerhood, he ran it all off.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #20
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missah78 View Post
Remember breastfed babies grow slower than formula fed babies. Most docs only have the old growth charts that were based on formula fed babies. BF babies gain weight quickly the first 3 months or so and then gain slow...it's just what they do! Doesn't mean anything is wrong with your supply! check out www.kellymom.com

this exactly... our ped actually told US not to worry because dd only gained 4 oz from one visit to the next. She's now 10 months and has thinned out a bit like my oldest dd. Genes determine how big your child is going to be, if you're feeding your lo healthy and doing all you can correctly.... then maybe you're just bound to have a tall, thinner baby
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote