Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
donuts4me
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question Is 22 month old ready to just start potty training?

Here is my story! A week ago my son came down with Bastitis. A penis infection. Then a few days later, his penis was a lot better, but still slightly red. So I took him back to the doctors and they gave me some creams. That night he cried and couldn't pee. He didn't pee for 5 hours. Then he did while crying. His penis has since healed but now he keeps holding his diaper and saying pee pee. He usually says this and I feel his diaper and he his dry. So I wonder if after that incident of crying while peeing, that he may know now what it feels like to really know when he's peeing. I am not saying he will be trained anytime soon. I just wonder what this means. I also think maybe he likes that he discovered what was down there! So I take his diaper off and he grabs his penis and says pee pee. I put him on the potty and he sits and then says done, without doing anything. Before and after his bath he kept saying pee pee. I hung out in the bathroom getting him dressed for bed. He kept grabbing and saying pee pee. His diaper was dry for 2 hourse before his bath and he drank a bunch of water and milk through out the day. I put him to bed them hubby came home right then (son was crying so DH went and got him). He had peed in his diaper. Which to me means he knew what was going to happen, that he needed to pee.

I know by any stretch of the imagination that this could be all coincidental. I have a 4 1/2 yr old daughter. But she didn't start training until she was 2 yrs 4 months. My son is smarter than she was at this age. So who knows.

What do you all think?

Karen

Advertisement

donuts4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Re: Is 22 month old ready to just start potty training?

iwould encourage him
seems he might be ready
take hi m to the potty when he says peepee
goodluck!
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
sunshineandlove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with everything Sandy said!

Happily cloth diapered 2 babies!
sunshineandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
earthybirthymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you can i'd let him run around nakie during the summer months. Sounds like he is getting the connection and after he wets a few times without a dipe he may get it even more. If after a day or so he's still not getting it, i'd put the dipes back on. Its what worked for my daughter at 24 months. HTH

earthybirthymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:15 PM   #5
Cadensmommy
Registered Users
seller

my son was PT at 21 months. it is possible! good luck!

Clarissa
Cadensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
Gloria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first DS was PT at 22 months and we stopped putting him to bed with extra protection at 26 months...it was one of those "i dont want to change sheets everynight" type things. I think it can happen!! My other DS is 26months and *almost* pt'd...he doenst care if he's dirty...LOL

If he's interested, which it seems like he is I say GO FOR IT!! I strongly agree with child led potty learning...so I say take his lead and go for it!!
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:11 PM   #7
mamato5angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS showed great interest in the potty at 18 mo. So anything is possible. Last summer his dress was longer shirts. It was so cute! He would be in the back yard playing and just lift his shirt and pee. He thought he was sooo special.
mamato5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:18 PM   #8
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, take his lead. But don't stress either way. My 26 m/o has been going on the potty for at least four months now, but he isn't out of dipes. If he says pee or poop I'll pull the diaper off and he'll go to the potty. Sometimes he goes, sometimes not. I praise when he does and say maybe next time when he doesn't. Use the easiest diapers you have so you can pull them off quickly- and go diaperless when possible. I've known lots of kids that learned by 22-23 months. Others were closer to 4. He'll let you know. GL!

Glad his penis is better- ouch!!

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:36 PM   #9
mommypooh
Registered Users

well if it makes you feel any better I have a 17 month old that is telling me he has to go. He goes in his diaper like 2-3 times a day and 5-6 on the potty. I say just sit him on the potty. my DS will say he has to go then tell me done get down without having gone and 30 sec later decide he needs to go so up on the potty we go again, and he will go. Sometimes we have to do this 2-4 times but he knows he has to go so that is a step in the right direction. Give it a shot if he goes great if not oh well. I keep my DS outside in swimming trunks a lot with a little potty seat outside.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:41 PM   #10
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthybirthymom
If you can i'd let him run around nakie during the summer months. Sounds like he is getting the connection and after he wets a few times without a dipe he may get it even more. If after a day or so he's still not getting it, i'd put the dipes back on. Its what worked for my daughter at 24 months. HTH
I have heard of this working before. I worked at a pre-school where the lady I worked with did it to her grand daughter. She was potty trained in a day.
marelle4381 is offline   Reply With Quote