Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to get DD to take a bottle HELP ASAP!

Have you tried a cup? My youngest wouldn't take a bottle either. We fed him w/a cup - sometimes it's easier to try w/a medicine cup, like the ones you use to give cough syrup. It's flexible & you can manipulate it a little. DS ended up taking this fine from anyone. He took to it right away. I had the LC show me this method. It was really amazing - he did this at only just under 2 weeks old when I had a medical emergency. We continued to do this later if there was an issue.

Once we got this method down & he got bigger we graduated to a bigger cup, beyond the medicine size cup.

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #12
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

My dd is the same way. I am having [I]some[I] luck the the Nuby sippy cup. I also saw at Wal-Mart today they have a pack that comes with 3 different tops/nipples that I might try.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #13
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

gota nuby cup and some dif formulas to try. I had the adiri when my dS was BF'ing. I am waiting on one i got from FSOT. Hoepfully it will be here monday.

i will keep you updated on my trials!! LOL

Thanks for the help mamas!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:19 PM   #14
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Has your husband tried different ways of holding her while feeding her the bottle? Some babies do best when held in the nursing position, others do better when they can't see who's feeding them. Try having him hold her facing outwards so she can look out the window or watch siblings while feeding her. Also, movement helps with some babies. Stand up and sway rather than sitting down. Maybe something like this will help?
A lot of babies won't take bottles and eventually they just alter their schedule--they may go hours without hardly eating while mom is gone and then make up for it when she's home by nursing like crazy. (unfortunately, that oftentimes means a lot of nighttime feedings!)
Kristin
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:39 PM   #15
melirod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So you are not feeding expressed breast milk? If not, it is probably more the formula than the bottles or nipples. I went through the same thing with DS a few mos back. He refused every bottle of formula I gave him. Then I pumped an eency bit of my milk into the same Playtex bottle I had been trying with the formula and he immediately took it. Can't say I blame him...have you ever tasted formula? NASTY! Can't possibly be as good as mother's milk. I am currently considering ordering some of these to introduce DS to a cup. http://www.babyzoop.co.uk/doidy.htm
Old 06-10-2007, 06:37 AM   #16
zoeh2003
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you pump from the empty breast for a few times your breasts will start to supply more milk than your dh demands. Remember it's supply and demand so even if you were to pump after she fed and got nothing after a couple days there would be some. Also you can try some galactogs like fenugreek to boost your supply so you have some the pump. I agree it is most likely the formula and not the bottle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
I wish I could pump from one side, but she drains both at each feeding. She drains me in 5 minutes flat. She is a power nurser.
I know what you mean about the bottle, but I just need to get out once in a while and she was 4 weeks early so spoons might not work.
I tired the cup, but no luck. I think it might be the flavor of the formula. Maybe i should set my alarm at night and get up and pump. She does most of her nursing during the day, and sleeps well at night.
Any suggestions on formula types?
Keep em coming mama!
zoeh2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #17
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I am going to try pumping when she eats too. I have tried fenugreek and I know it is supposed to make you smell, but MAN!! I reeked so bad I had to stop taking it.
Going to try some other formulas too. I only need her take a bottle once or twice a week, so it is not much.

thanks mamas!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #18
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

I was also going to suggest pumping about thirty min. after she nurses and eventually you'll start making more milk and it WONT hurt her supply at all. I'd DEF try to pump instead of giving formula. My Cousin pumps for her dd and she gives her a formula bottle once a week but she SWEARS that EVERY time her dd gets the formula bottle she can tell cuz she gets stomach aches and gas bigtime. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #19
mum0fthr33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD was 2 months early and it was very hard getting her on a bottle too for when she needed one. What I did was wore a bandana in my bra at night wrapped it around her bottle for feeds and put the bottle nipple as close to my breast as I could she did start to take it that way and I would slowly move the bottle away from my breast to more feedings that she took like that. Good luck momma.
mum0fthr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #20
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
HELP!!!

My dd will not take a bottle. I have 5 kids and work and cant always be there to BF her. I cant pump much cuz she is still nursing so much and i never get the chance. I have tried every bottle, every nipple, warm, cold, soy and reg. formula.
What have I forgotten? And BTW it is DH giving her the bottle and not me and she is 12 weeks old.
She wont take a paci either. She just spits everything out and then gags herself.

I am in desparate need of help......
This sounds exactly like my little one. I hope it works out! I have to get her to take a bottle by friday, since I am going out with DH for out anniversary...
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote