Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
Colleeny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How old was your DC when he/she started talking in small sentences?

My little guy, Preston is 25.5 months old, and I still can't understand him very good. This is the extent of his vocabulary... CACKA (cracker), geez tick (cheese stick), bubbles, bowl, sis, Sheega (Sheena his sister's name), mem...mem(mommy or memmy), DADA, Deego (Blues Clues... I have no idea why he calls it that...but he does), BEESH (brush teeth) and thats about it that I can think of. He does a lot of chatter, but nothing that I can understand. He definately knows what WE are saying, because he responds appropriately when we talk to him.

I keep seeing other mom's posting about their children talking small sentences before the age of two, I am wondering if Preston is slow to talk or is this normal???

What does you DC say at this age???

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old was your DC when he/she started talking in small sentences?

My ds was a really early talker- lots of individual words and a few short phrases at 15mos. More sentences at 18 mos. and now that he is 25 mos. he talks up a storm. Says anything and everything. He is my only child and spends all day in daycare with 3 older boys who are models for him.

My cousin's third child didn't say much at 2 and she worried about her- even had her evaluated by birth to three. They said she was in the normal range. She is 3 now and talking just fine. They said that often little ones with older siblings don't talk as much as early because their older sibs will do the talking for them.

Don't worry too much mama- sounds like he is communicating some and understanding plenty. He'll do it all in his own time!

BTW- If that's him in your avi- he is adorable!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds turned 25months on the 1st of june, and hes just starting to put sentences together....lilke 3 or 4 words (usually asking where something is or where did it go(if he hides something, where is something) but thats about it. He talks ALL the time, but theres quit a bit that we still don't understand and he tries and tries.... I wouldn't worry to much yet mama

ETA: you asked what they say...ds will say
ball, watoo (water), doggy, Abbey (friends dd but all babies), baby, mama, dada, I dirdy (when he needs his diaper changed) where did it go (sometimes he adds where did the ball go, or whatever hes looking for, or if he hides something) there go, where dada, momey (money), monkey (not sure how he says this one, but it sounds more like mommy), dada ball, uh oh (when he drops something) grandpa, MAMA (for grandma--sounds different than mama--me), adam (my brother) I know theres more but I cant think right now what they are....but its also just me and him for the most part, or were with my friend and she has 2 older boys and than twins ds age and he talks to them

Last edited by LuAnn; 06-10-2007 at 09:45 AM.
LuAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dakotah started saying words very early - 8 months. By 16 months, she was saying small sentences. Now at 20.5 months, she has a huge vocabulary and can count to 15 in English, to 10 in Spanish and can say most of her alphabet. She talks all day long and knows way too many words for me to type on here. But I was a very early talker as well, and I'm home all day with her so I'm able to work with her and read to her throughout the day. My friend's 4 year old didn't start saying sentences til just recently but I think that has something to do with the fact that she never really communicated with him much and kept the pacifier in his mouth 24/7 until he was almost 4.
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My daughter was weird. She would learn words, say them for a week or two then stop saying them at all. She's 2 1/2 now and is learning new words on a daily basis. She hit her "sponge brain" period and her "mimic everyone" phase at like the same time I swear. She learned to say "Booty" in about 2 minutes thanks to my boyfriend.

As for actual sentences she's still 50-50 on that. There are some 2-3 word sentences that she's mastered like "more juice", but I can not for the life of me get her to say "more juice PLEASE" all at once. She a pro at saying "I wuv you day-did". So good that *I* get called David on a regular basis.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds is 33 months old and is using complex sentences. He started putting together small sentences at 16 months old at which point he also knew all of his letters and letter sounds and could count to 10.

Now, this is not "normal." In my opinion, there is no "normal" when it comes to toddlers. Each child is completely different. Most children "catch up" in all areas by kindergarten. But each child has different strengths. Some toddlers are wonderful with self-care skills at an early age, others are very musical, others are great with fine motor skills, etc. I believe each child develops each of these areas at different points.

It sounds like your ds understands well, and that is fantastic. The speaking will come in his own time!

HTH!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelMommy View Post
Some toddlers are wonderful with self-care skills at an early age, others are very musical, others are great with fine motor skills, etc. I believe each child develops each of these areas at different points.
Yep! I think my daughter is far too advanced in her physical abilities sometimes. She was crawling by 5 months old, walking by 10 months old, and climbing bookcases before she was 2. She can unlock doors, open them and let herself out (let me tell you that dual deadbolts are a godsend). She's been climbing into her high chair on her own before she was even 18 months old. It's insane!!
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my guys are just starting to put 2 and 3 words together at 19 months.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry. All kids are different. My oldest didn't hardly say any 2 word phrases until his 2nd bday (or after). It was pretty slow going. It started picking up...maybe around 27 months. He could do lots of single words - many many single words..but phrases or sentences were pretty slow. My 2nd has been much faster. He's been a lot like a previous posters child....lots of single words pretty early and sentences by 18 months. Not everything is understandable by 'outsiders', but those close to him can understand most of it and I can understand all of it. He'll be 2 in Aug.

Anyway, all kids are different...don't worry too much
Old 06-10-2007, 10:23 AM   #10
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not even 18 months and he hasn't shut up since Actually my DS has and always will be the biggest chatterbox on the face of the Earth My DD is 17 months and is still working on small words. All kids are different.
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote