Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
tiredmommyof8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old was your DC when he/she started talking in small sentences?

All kids are different. I have 2 that could carry on perfectly intelligent conversations way before 2 yrs. I mean knock your socks of talking. They were also the only 2 that I had no trouble potty training. I have 2 that NO ONE could understand but myself and their siblings until they were 4 & 3. I have an almost 2 yr old that only says Momma & Kitty and points, grunts or squeals for everything else. We have tried using simple sign language with him too but he just laughs at us. He knows exactly what we are saying but chooses not to speak other than those 2 words.

Advertisement

tiredmommyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my daughter started talking EARLY and never shut up. lol. so i wont use her as an example.
however my neice has a very limited vocabulary.
by two years old she had less than 50 words and wasnt putting two words together (like mom, up! or car,go! etc) and was evaluated by Early Intervention.
their criteria is 50 word vocab and putting two words together by two.
it turns out my neice, aside from not ever being talked to by her mother, has a hearing problem. so not only does she not have an adequate vocab, but she also says what words she does have in a funny way.
if YOU feel like YOUR child might have a speech delay, PLEASE get them evaluated. EI is an amazing program that helps many children catch up.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
ThreeBunniesMoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My older two dd's started talking in sentences around 18mo.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #14
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is 2 yrs. 3months and her language capabilities have just exploded in the past 2 months or so. She said words before then, but now it seems like she can talk about almost anything (of course, not totally clear, but we usually can figure out what she's saying. So as far as sentences goes, I'd say soon after she turned 2. She was probably stringing 2 words together for several months before that but I don't remember, which is pretty sad since it was only a few months ago! (I'm not too good at recording in the baby book!)
Kristin
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #15
dkyle220
Registered Users

My ds is 27 months and is talk is very similar to your ds. He says some basic words and barely puts 2 words together. The words he does say, he doesn't say them all the time. He basically just "talks" when he feels like it. He understands what we say to him. His pedi has pushed on more than one occasion that he seek additional "help". She wanted him to go get hearing test and speech therapist...stuff like that. I don't feel that is needed at this point and declined.

He can say: mama, dada, sissy, bubba, gunter & fifi (forms of our dogs name), milk, help, no, stop, too high, nana, papa, bye, hi, hoe (for hello ) I think that's the extent of it. He "chatters" alot of which I don't understand, and on occasion he will say a word he hasn't said before and we won't hear it again for weeks. I think he just chooses "not" to talk.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #16
Colleeny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm...I have heard that boys are a bit slower with talking. I hope that he is just preoccupied with objects and stacking things! I feel a bit better reading some of these posts! I think I will see what my pedi says at the next visit. I just hope it is not a hearing problem or anything like that.

Thanks everyone for all of your support here!
Old 06-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #17
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS1 @ 12 mths old could look at a picture book and say everything in it and do complete sentences...... like " I wanna go outside " Grammy is over there "
" I wanna bite that " ect... ** I should add that he tested gifted this year **

and
DD.... at about 18 mths she could say as much as Gabe at a year

william 9 mths... only thing he knows is scream till he gets it

hes the smart one..LOL

My sil's girl is almost 2 and I swear I cant understand a word she says.. but you can tell she is smart... she knows alot.. just doesnt say much

*** Like you tell her to pick up the toys.. and she will .. or go get a diaper and she will .. she just doesnt talk much ..and when she does.. its greek..LOL
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #18
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleeny View Post
Hmmm...I have heard that boys are a bit slower with talking. I hope that he is just preoccupied with objects and stacking things! I feel a bit better reading some of these posts! I think I will see what my pedi says at the next visit. I just hope it is not a hearing problem or anything like that.

Thanks everyone for all of your support here!
nah .. I dont think it is hearing.. I think he would just rather do other stuff than talk..LOL.. I wouldnt worry mama... one day he wont shut up and you are gonna miss these days

OHH I wanted to add... my dd really didnt say much till she hit 12 mths.. then one day we were at Mc Donalds..and she said.. " D*ck dondals" and then .. "kickin nurgets" Me and my MIL almost died laughing up to that day .. she has only said stuff like.. " mama.. dada .. ball..ect."

Last edited by mrsbehaven007; 06-10-2007 at 08:54 PM.
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #19
jvozka
Registered Users
seller

My DD now 20 months says small sentences. She is a blabber! Her latest is everytime we see a school bus she goes "its a bus!" She will say I love you, no kitty stop! and someothers
Alea Rain 6/26/07
jvozka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #20
OwensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS was a late talker but super fast to develop after that. He only had 5 words at 23 months. By 25 month he was speaking small sentences. In 2 months and he learned 100+ words. I never had any worry about him, he has always done things at his own pace.
OwensMama is offline   Reply With Quote