Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
Shanna
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Last ditch effort, ** pics added in last post**

So my normal washing routine wasn't cutting it since we moved (cold rinse, hot wash, cold rinse w/ vinegar) I'm still getting a leftover pee smell.

I cut out the vinegar, no help.

I rinsed cold and soaked overnight, in plain cold, and in borax, natta

I rinsed cold washed hot w/ dishwashing liquid, nope

I've stripped multiple times in between all these. I've stripped the washer, and rinsed the dipes until there's no suds (that's the definition of stripping right?)

Now my AIOs are totally losing their effectivness and leaking right through. Not wicking around the legs, totally leaking through the PUL. Seriously, I'm thinking how insane is it to have to use a cover w/ and AIO!?!?!

So yesterday I rinsed, washed, rinsed 3x til no suds, Then put 2 capfuls of bleach on hot wash and added the dipes back after agitation. line dried. they were only 3/4 dry before nightfall so I tossed them in the dryer to finish up.

STINK! Now they smell like pee stink and bleach. I actually sent DD over to the grandparents in a posie b/c I don't want major type A, anally clean Grannie to smell her "clean" diapers.

So boiling is the only think I can think left to do (we don't have a dishwasher). So, do I simply boil in plain water? For how long? Anything special I need to know? Any other ideas I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Shanna

Advertisement

Shanna, loving wife and Mommy to Tanner 7-03, Jenna 4-05, our sweetheart in heaven, and Nathan 1-08. Check out my ETSY shop nicely stocked with wetbags for diapers AND kitchen, "unpaper" towels galore and fun burlap accessories for the home!

Last edited by Shanna; 06-10-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Shanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
curious_george
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2hamish
seller

Re: Last ditch effort, need boiling help

So my normal washing routine wasn't cutting it since we moved (cold rinse, hot wash, cold rinse w/ vinegar) I'm still getting a leftover pee smell.

I cut out the vinegar, no help.

I rinsed cold and soaked overnight, in plain cold, and in borax, natta

I rinsed cold washed hot w/ dishwashing liquid, nope

I've stripped multiple times in between all these. I've stripped the washer, and rinsed the dipes until there's no suds (that's the definition of stripping right?)

Now my AIOs are totally losing their effectivness and leaking right through. Not wicking around the legs, totally leaking through the PUL. Seriously, I'm thinking how insane is it to have to use a cover w/ and AIO!?!?!

So yesterday I rinsed, washed, rinsed 3x til no suds, Then put 2 capfuls of bleach on hot wash and added the dipes back after agitation. line dried. they were only 3/4 dry before nightfall so I tossed them in the dryer to finish up.

STINK! Now they smell like pee stink and bleach. I actually sent DD over to the grandparents in a posie b/c I don't want major type A, anally clean Grannie to smell her "clean" diapers.

Ok... how much dawn did you use? How many dipes are your washing in the load? Sometimes I have to cut the load in half and wash a "mini" load on the lowest water level to beat the ick out of the dipes. I usually use like three swirls of dishwashing soap (like three times around the agitator) and do at least three cycles on super hot. You can add boiling water into the hot water in your washing machine to boost the temp... that worked for us. Try to wash no more that 10 dipes in the machine to make sure they have enough room to swish/swirl etc...

What kind of detergent are you using regularly? How much, do you think it is enough? How does your machine wash the rest of your clothes?

I hope this helps. I don't know much about the background of your dipes... or your story but I can offer and my Use the dryer to dry your dipes, b/c it can "reseal" small holes in the PUL where there's stitching. When in doubt you can re-waterproof the PUL with the camping clothes waterproofing spray (don't use the shoe kind b/c it may cause yellowing)

To sum it up... super small loads, probably more detergent/dishwashing liquid, and then dry them in th dryer. I've never had problems with using a dryer with PUL pockets...
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. -- Sir Francis Bacon
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

we don't have pee smell issues, i do hot wash, cold rinse, second cold rinse. i also add about 8 drops of tto and 6 of lavender eo to my hot soapy water before i toss the diapers in.

you should try some tto, and that is actually alot fo bleach, flip your diapers inside out if theyre pockets and check the pul..
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

When you say "pee stink" do you mean actual urine odor, or ammonia? Is your water hard or soft, and what detergent are you using?

If it's actual urine odor, I think you're not using enough detergent, especially if your water is hard, and some Calgon or other water softener would help that.

If ammonia (which is what I assume you mean), I think I'd try adding boiling water to a HOT wash with some water softener, no detergent, and the hardest agitation possible a couple of times and see if you get any suds that way. Rinse, dry and see if that cures the problem. You might also want to switch detergents (if you haven't already), even the best can start to build up after a while.

Boiling will probably help, but if the problem is as persistent as it appears to be, I'd suspect that you have a LOT of buildup, and getting as much of it out in the wash beforehand as possible should enable the boiling to be more effective. HTH
Old 06-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Shanna
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the water here is pretty hard. That's why I quit the vinegar. I think that's why our betta died too,

I usually use a bit less then the bottom line on the scoop and I use Cheer. I tried Sun back in Vegas and didn't like it at all, and Tide irritates my kids skin. I'm fairly limited to the major brands, being in a very small town.

I did two swipes around the washer w/ the dish detergent.

I definately get suds when I wash, but it wouldn't seem that there's a ton of buildup b/c it only takes me 2 or 3 rinses at the most to get sud free water. Unless you mean ammonia buildup?

I usually do dry in the dryer, but b/c of the stink issue (plus I just put up the clothesline) I thought airing them out in the sun might help.

The main culprit are AIOs (when is our primary stash), so I can't check out the inside. My AI2 shells are a little smelly too, so I kinda think it's everything, although those aren't leaking a bit ( heart fanciful fannies).

I'm in an apartment, so unless there's something you can add to soften your wash water, I'm out of luck w/ that.

I had eight diapers in the last load at hand. If I'm washing many more I usually use medium water level so I'm sure there's plenty of room for agitation.

I'm off to set every pot I have boiling and wash in plain hot plus the boiling water.

I'll post my results in a bit!

Shanna, loving wife and Mommy to Tanner 7-03, Jenna 4-05, our sweetheart in heaven, and Nathan 1-08. Check out my ETSY shop nicely stocked with wetbags for diapers AND kitchen, "unpaper" towels galore and fun burlap accessories for the home!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
Shanna
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OK, I just emptied four pots of boiling water into the wash and I'm getting some suds going on. Should I repeat/continue to hot wash w/ boiling water until I get no suds during the wash cycle?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
Shanna
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure how well you can see but

Here's the suds during the wash:

Here's a pic during the rinse. The bubbles around the sides are less sudsy and more like agitated water:

And after the rinse, still some soap residue, but not too much?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna View Post
OK, I just emptied four pots of boiling water into the wash and I'm getting some suds going on. Should I repeat/continue to hot wash w/ boiling water until I get no suds during the wash cycle?
I would. The really hot water and agitation is going to do a much better job of getting the soap out than warm or cold rinse water will. You can add Calgon, Rain Drops, or a couple of other brands of water softener to your wash routine (I have found usually Calgon at every grocery store I've shopped in, and I don't live in a high population area) it's not cheap, but you don't need much, either. The water softener binds up the minerals that make water hard, which keeps the minerals from binding with the detergent, and depositing in fabrics, and causing stink.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

After I boil I do about 3 washes, hot wash cold rinse, hot wash cold rinse, hot wash cold rinse....that seems to clear up most stink issues. But this is the exact reason I stopped using AIO's... they get too stinky too quickly.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote