Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why won't he nurse well?

I am so confused! My baby has hit this phase where he will not nurse right, he just starts getting squirmy and throwing himself around (he's @ 4mos) and pops on and off in a fury for a few minutes before just refusing to eat at all. He is my 3rd baby, I nursed them all and never had this trouble, I don't know what to do! I'm afraid he isn't getting enough to eat, as he only nurses good for less than 5 minutes before starting getting fussy! He was starting to get kinda finicky a few weeks ago, and when we were at the pedi (checking for thrush... I thought that may be why, but he doesn't have thrush....) we talked about it & she mentioned that it is not uncommon in babies his age b/c stomach gasses etc. when they are eating can make them uncomftorable, which makes them do that.... she said it would pass, but it has gotten so much worse. I don't know that he has had a decent meal lately..... He looks healthy and is gaining weight, so I'm not panicking, but I'm worried.... What do I do???

Advertisement

homeschoolingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Why won't he nurse well?

I am not sure mama I hope he and you both are able to fix this how about contacting your local LLL?
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Missah78
Banned
seller

My Mood:

OMG I just came here to post the same thing. Only my ds is 3 months and this has been on going with her. Her pedi who is very pro bf'ing said some babies just don't nurse well and you can't FORCE them to nurse...there has to be another way!

Just letting you know your not alone! Only my dd is loosing weight!
Missah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missah78 View Post
OMG I just came here to post the same thing. Only my ds is 3 months and this has been on going with her. Her pedi who is very pro bf'ing said some babies just don't nurse well and you can't FORCE them to nurse...there has to be another way!

Just letting you know your not alone! Only my dd is loosing weight!
Wow...I'm so afraid he's going to boycott nursing.... I have no idea what to do... He will take a bottle though he's just had maybe a handful in his little life... but I don't want to loose the bf bond this early I hope it works out well for you (and us too!!!)
homeschoolingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
~Bug~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I too came to post this exact same thing. DD is 5 months and since last Wednesday has refused to nurse well, going more than 7 hours during the day without nursing. I took her to the doctor and she doesn't have an ear infection. Her throat is a little red so maybe the sore throat is bothering her?? But this is going on 4 days now. My milk supply is in serious jeopardy. I'm pumping occassionally to try to keep it up.

When she does nurse she throws her head bad and cries if the milk doesn't come right away.

Three times (only 3x in 4 days) I've given her the bottle of milk I've pumped and she guzzles it! What gives? This is the same little girl who has pitched a fit every other time we've tried giving her a bottle.

I'm worried about my milk supply more than anything. I feel like it's a constant battle to keep it up as it is and I can pump very little now. She more than 18 lbs so she's got fast stores to last until Christmas but my milk won't last much longer like this.

I'm calling a lactation consultant tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolingmama View Post
Wow...I'm so afraid he's going to boycott nursing.... I have no idea what to do... He will take a bottle though he's just had maybe a handful in his little life... but I don't want to loose the bf bond this early I hope it works out well for you (and us too!!!)

Danielle
Mommy to to DS (2 years old) and DD (1 year old)
EDD - Oct 2008
~Bug~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
GraemesMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can I join the party?

DS is crying right now, so I"ve gotta go feed him, but we've been having similar issues about fussing at the breast even though I know he's hungry, and not being patient to wait for the let down.

Please update us if any of you call a lactation consultant.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
tjcjlc99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dd3 did this something similar around the age most your babies are. she would suck little sucks, then just pitch a fit. so id usually either give up and try later, or hold her head there until i got a letdown, and then she was fine. i figured maybe shes being impatient w/ the flow. i hope all your babies will start to nurse nicely soon again
hugs
Old 06-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
GraemesMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Are any of the rest of you using bottles occasionally? I have...we've not seemed to have trouble with nipple confusion at all, and he willingly went from breast to bottle. But I recently left him with my MIL for a day trip, when she fed him from the bottle the whole day, and it's been since then that DS has acted this way. Maybe that is the problem for me. It definitely seems like he is impatient waiting for the let down. It happens more often as my supply is a little less in the late afternoon/evening time. He eats fine overnight, though.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
~Bug~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocosmommy View Post
Are any of the rest of you using bottles occasionally?
Up until a few days ago when this started, DD had only had 5-6 bottles her entire life and hated every one of them. Only now will she even take a bottle, so I hesitate to do so.

Danielle
Mommy to to DS (2 years old) and DD (1 year old)
EDD - Oct 2008
~Bug~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
mommyto7littlestinkers
Registered Users

My Mood:

mine does that she is 3 & 1/2 months and all mine have i think it is the age they go from nursing all the time for long periods of time to being finished in a matter of minutes every 3-4 hours.Its because the older they get the more nosy they get and they can drain the breast quicker, as long as they are happy between feedings i wouldn't worry to much.mine is very nosy she will let go to look around or watch the other children alot during the feeding.mine nurses alot at night when there isn't anything moving around to look at.