Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
PrettyBird
Registered Users
seller

Why are so many pediatricians outdated?

We are military and DD has seen a different ped every time. The younger ones tend to be the most breastfeeding friendly and up to date. I have had some older peds give really outdated advice. For instance at DD's 2 month appt the lady told us holding DD up so she could push down on our lap with her legs would make her bow-legged. It sounded fishy so I went and did a lot of reading everything said that was an old wives tale. She also told us to start DD on cereal at 4 mos (very outdated advice). One ped actually told me to pump extra to cure an oversupply and engorgement (after that I stopped taking bfing advice from doctors).

So, do pediatricians not have to have continuing education? Why do so many get away with giving really outdated advice? Why aren't they required to be more educated about breastfeeding. It is so frustrating when you feel like you have read more than the doctor.

Advertisement

PrettyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 AM   #2
LovelyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why are so many pediatricians outdated?

I agree it is a bad feeling. I don't know if they have keep up to date but I suppose not. It seems to me doctors are spoon fed information from companies that want them to sell products ( medicine, lotion, ect...). Maybe not all of them but most. I just don't think mainstream health care is even interested in natural health and living. It just doesn't help their economy, but the younger ones are coming up in an age of holostic revival so thats why they are more informed in different areas.

I'm swaggin now!! Come join me
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Niknak22
LovelyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Maybe because they're never confronted with their bad information? Luckily I really like my pediatrician. I think a lot of times when doctors give out bad information, people either don't know better & take it, or go home and look it up and decide it was wrong. But very few are armed and ready or willing to debate it then and there, so the doctor is never called on it.

I mean, it's the doctor's responsbility to educate himself, not his patient's responsibility! But if he (or she) has NOT kept current on info, or has passed along old wive's tales for the last 20 years or whatever, who is there to point that out?
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
erin_brycesmom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Maybe because they're never confronted with their bad information?
I can assure you, that's not it.

Speaking for myself, I have confronted numerous pediatricians and I also read about others doing so on a regular basis all over the internet.

I avoid pediatricians like the plague now. Even the newer drs are giving out horrible advice especially regarding breastfeeding and solid food - ANYTHING nutrition related. They spend most of their time dispensing advice about parenting which they have poor knowledge on. This advise is seen as medical advice which it most certainly is not.

I have seen so many pediatricians over the last four years and have yet to find a decent one. The last one I saw was highly recommended and I waited months to get in with her, she was also the head of pediatrics at this hospital. She actually told me that I "HAD" to turn my son forward facing because he was over 20lbs and 1 years old. I told her that it was safer to keep him rear facing and she insisted that I was wrong because he was "too big" to rear face. SHe wouldn't let it go either. Ridiculous.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
OwensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_brycesmom View Post
I have seen so many pediatricians over the last four years and have yet to find a decent one. The last one I saw was highly recommended and I waited months to get in with her, she was also the head of pediatrics at this hospital. She actually told me that I "HAD" to turn my son forward facing because he was over 20lbs and 1 years old. I told her that it was safer to keep him rear facing and she insisted that I was wrong because he was "too big" to rear face. SHe wouldn't let it go either. Ridiculous.
Thats my big Ped beef. They frequently tell parents they can FF children at or UNDER 12 months. They will tell people to FF 9 month olds if their legs touch the seat back which is VERY outdated and false information.

The AAP actually recommends that children RF till the limits of height and weight on their car seat which can be anywhere from 18 months to over 3 year old for some kids. They should NEVER tell people to FF a baby under 12 months.
OwensMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
PrettyBird
Registered Users
seller

I really should speak up more to them but I get tongue tied. Last time mine was just reading from a paper all these stupid things like "introduce whole milk at one year", "don't go in the room while they are sleeping at night", etc. Didn't even bother to ask if we were going to continue breastfeeding (we are, DD needs milk from a human not a cow thankyouverymuch!), or if we coslept (won't bring that up to the Dr. anymore).

Ugg and I cannot believe that about the carseats. That is just plain NEGLIGENT to give advice like that!! They are not carseat techs.
PrettyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My word...we are pretty mainstream on some things (not doing completely natural way), DS sleeps in his room however we go in DS's room all the time just to check on him and sometimes just watch him for a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBird View Post
I really should speak up more to them but I get tongue tied. Last time mine was just reading from a paper all these stupid things like "introduce whole milk at one year", "don't go in the room while they are sleeping at night", etc. Didn't even bother to ask if we were going to continue breastfeeding (we are, DD needs milk from a human not a cow thankyouverymuch!), or if we coslept (won't bring that up to the Dr. anymore).

Ugg and I cannot believe that about the carseats. That is just plain NEGLIGENT to give advice like that!! They are not carseat techs.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
opheliabliss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I could vent for days about ours!!
Lucy Hope 08/15/09
opheliabliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel ya mama!! I have yet to find a decent pedi. Our last one insisted that I give dd vitamins from age 6months, demanded I stop bfing at 12 months (well she actually started on me before that but that was the last time I saw her), advised that I should give dd eggs at 8 months old. Ugh...good thing I don't see her anymore. I'm really thinking of getting a family practitioner, no pedi's here will take my delayed/selective vaxed kiddo...cept one and they aren't taking new patients.
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our last ped told me 1) DS HAD to sleep in his bed starting TONIGHT or else he would become an awful child 2) It is BAD for him to still BF, he MUST stop right now 3) DD (who was 9months old) can stop BFing now because this is the perfect time to switch to formula 4) Co-Sleeping is the most dangerous thing to do and I NEED to put the kids in their beds tonight and LET them cry because if they are crying they are just playing not really upset!

Yeah, that was the last time I ever saw her! Oh and she didnt have any kids!