Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Please Delete thread-comments are getting ugly!

Ok, we're fixing to have our second child in september and I know there are lots of things I do *not* want done! I had to have an emergency c-section with my first daughter and had no idea what I was signing away at.

I don't want her jaundice level to be checked right away! Is it dangerous to wait a day or so and see how she looks? I *HATE* the fact that they have to ~slice~ their feet! How inhumane!

I've already opted not to have the immunization shot right after birth!

What else do they do? Any other pricking? Probing? slicing?

I do want our son to be circumcised. I know everyone has their own strong opinions on that issue, I respect yours, please respect mind. But for those of you that ~have~ had their son circumcised, do they numb the area first?

Anyone that has any answers I'd really appreciate it!

Edited:

Hey mama's!
First off, I want to say thank you to all of you who have left posts..some nice informative....some others that were not so nice. Either way, this is what I'm thinking of at the moment, after doing research (and I will definately CONTINUE up until the baby is born), and hearing all that you ladies had to say.

As far as circumsion-that is staying the same..however I will search HIGH and low for a doctor that will numb the area first! We will not get it done until we have found someone who is willing to numb it...and sugar water doesn't cut it in my books! Again, I will restate...I know everyone has their own opinions on this matter, however, this is a decision my husband and I have made together and I ask that you will respectthat.

The hemp. B shot, he will not have.

The eye gook, he also will not have.

The jaundice test he will have only if after two or three days of breastfeeding he looks really jaundice. If they do the forehead thingy, then that's fine. Test all you want with that! But if they have to slice or prick or whatever to his foot, it will be after a few days of being breastfeed and good poopies!

He will be breastfed ONLY. No suppliments.

I would like to be able to give him his first bath. However, if I'm too tired and passed out the nurse may do that ~only~ after me saying she can.

The baby *will* room in with me, just like I did with my first child.

Again, I'm going to continue to research this stuff and talk to my doctor. Thank you for all your input!!

~Heather

Advertisement

Last edited by myall4him2; 06-14-2007 at 09:33 PM.
myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you have your baby pricked, probed, and cut right after birth?

We did not have any of the tests until later in the day or the next day. It is up to you. Just make sure you have a voice in case they are persistent that things are done their way. It is also helpful to have someone else (like your husband) to speak up to. I was so tired that it was nice to not have to keep arguing and they seemed to rewpect what my husband said the first time he said things.

We also had our son circ'd, and yes they do numb it first. My husband went with him when he had it done and was not at all upset afterwards. He said our son did not even cry before, during, or after.

GL to you mama. Hope everything goes how you want it to.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannondicarpo View Post
We did not have any of the tests until later in the day or the next day. It is up to you. Just make sure you have a voice in case they are persistent that things are done their way. It is also helpful to have someone else (like your husband) to speak up to. I was so tired that it was nice to not have to keep arguing and they seemed to rewpect what my husband said the first time he said things.

We also had our son circ'd, and yes they do numb it first. My husband went with him when he had it done and was not at all upset afterwards. He said our son did not even cry before, during, or after.

GL to you mama. Hope everything goes how you want it to.
Thank you so much for you comment! I'm so comforted by the fact that they numb the area for the circumcision! I'm pretty persistant, I *will* get my way with *my* child! I just want to hug him and nurse him and be with him right after birth. Let the poor kid rest!

Old 06-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

The only thing that I wanted done was the sugar check. All three of my dds were large all over 9 lbs. Two out of the three were kinda..umm.. lathargic I guess you would say. And it was bc their sugar was down a bit. It was only bc they were large. I did not have any gd. But by day two they were just fine.

GL mama!
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myall4him2 View Post
I don't want her jaundice level to be checked right away! Is it dangerous to wait a day or so and see how she looks? I *HATE* the fact that they have to ~slice~ their feet! How inhumane!

I've already opted not to have the immunization shot right after birth!

What else do they do? Any other pricking? Probing? slicing?
They slice their feet to check jaundice? What else do they do? What is the purpose of the foot slicing? Do they do anything else like that? And what about the immunization shot? What is that for?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jaundice usually doesn't show up until about 12 to 24 hours after birth, so that shouldn't be an issue to wait until the next day. I would also recommend the sugar levels... DS had low blood sugar and needed an IV for the first 24 or 36 hours.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkinflame13 View Post
They slice their feet to check jaundice? What else do they do? What is the purpose of the foot slicing? Do they do anything else like that? And what about the immunization shot? What is that for?
Yeah! It's like a little paper cut, but they don't cut it with paper! I think...*think*..the immuzation shot was for hepitisis (maybe the first one out of several over a period of weeks). I'm not sure what else they do, but I was NOT happy!

Old 06-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
PriscaMae
Registered Users

My Mood:

The jaundice test can be done with the same heel-stick as the state-mandated testing (if you have that where you are and if they can get enough blood). That is all done after 24 hrs. I had my son circ'ed and I assisted with one in nursing school. Yes, most docs numb the area. You should ask to make sure. Also, ask how long they wait after giving the numbing med (it doesn't work instantly; they need to wait like 5 min.). Ask if they give sugar water and Tylenol before the numbing shot; a very tiny bit (usually less than a 1/4 tsp) of sugar water has been shown to decrease pain in newborns. One dose of Tylenol (before or right after) will get your ds through the time just after the numbing medicine wears off.
I also asked who was going to do it, and how much experience they have. (When in doubt ask your nurse.)
Our ds did great. The baby in the one I assisted with slept through the whole thing!
PriscaMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
zacharysma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our son was circumcised. They did it on the second day and he went home later that day. I had a rough "vaginal" delivery with him so I was not expected to go home but really just wanted the hell outta there so I begged to be let home. They did make you wait so many hours after to go home.

Anyway, I worked in a hospital and saw this done. It is AWFUL, but seriously done in just a matter of seconds. It all depends on the doctor to. I thought my pediatrician would do the "cut" but in fact it was MY OB that did it.

Also, they did give tylenol before and after so he was a little drugged but no other meds that I knew of were given. He re-cooped fine. The hardest part for me was learning that I still had to retract the skin as he got older, until he was almost a year old or it could adhere again. I was not ready for that, and can't speak for every person but our experience was not that bad, my son lived, and he is 4 years old now. Something we have never regretted doing either.

You just have to talk to your doctor, your pediatrician and decide the best way to go.

Good luck mama!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They don't slice the feet to check for jaundice, it is a quick prick. Just to get a drop of blood (a drop or two is all they need!)