Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #11
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you have your baby pricked, probed, and cut right after birth?

My babies were not born in hospitals. They were handed to me and not touched until I decided to get up and get on the bed, and then my dh held them for a second. the midwives didnt touch them at all except to listen to their lungs before they cried.

also..be very aware that very few doctors will go to the trouble of doing a true penile block for a circ. I'm glad that some of you said they got "numbed". Very few hospitals will go to the trouble. and Sugar water doesnt count either.

Advertisement

bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #12
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

its not a slice like pp said, its a small prick only.
you can talk to your dr and let them know you want the baby circ and you want the area numbed, be there with him so you can make sure they do it as you want it done
they will do the hep b..? shot right after birth pretty much, i dont have this done til my kids go for their 2 week check ups.
i dont remember what else they do right after but talk to your dr now so they can write this stuff into your file and when the day comes to have the baby, refresh their memory with your wishes for your birth and baby
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelMommy View Post
They don't slice the feet to check for jaundice, it is a quick prick. Just to get a drop of blood (a drop or two is all they need!)
^^ yeah that.. DD#3 was jaunidce and was pricked a lot. She peaked at 19.4 and was in the billy lights for 2 days.
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #14
PriscaMae
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkinflame13 View Post
They slice their feet to check jaundice? What else do they do? What is the purpose of the foot slicing? Do they do anything else like that? And what about the immunization shot? What is that for?
They do a heel stick using an automatic lancet. It is a tiny blade inside a plastic applicator. You push the button and the blade does a quick poke (it is very similar to what diabetics use to get blood to check their blood sugar). The nurse should poke the side of the heel where there are fewer nerve endings.
The immunization is for hepatitis B. If you chose to not get this right after birth you need to be SURE of your hep B status. Michigan pays for this shot for all babies born in the state because a baby died! The mom was hep B positive and no one knew. If you are negative I think you can wait on that shot (or not get it if you are not having your child immunized).
PriscaMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #15
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelMommy View Post
They don't slice the feet to check for jaundice, it is a quick prick. Just to get a drop of blood (a drop or two is all they need!)
Not where we went! It was a slice! I had to bring her back in so they could check it *again* and I saw them do it!

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #16
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscaMae View Post
They do a heel stick using an automatic lancet. It is a tiny blade inside a plastic applicator. You push the button and the blade does a quick poke (it is very similar to what diabetics use to get blood to check their blood sugar). The nurse should poke the side of the heel where there are fewer nerve endings.
The immunization is for hepatitis B. If you chose to not get this right after birth you need to be SURE of your hep B status. Michigan pays for this shot for all babies born in the state because a baby died! The mom was hep B positive and no one knew. If you are negative I think you can wait on that shot (or not get it if you are not having your child immunized).
You guys must have had *good* doctors!

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #17
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

both my boys didnt have their feet sliced to check for jaundice. They didnt even have a prick. The only prick was 2 days after I had them, I had to go back to the hospital so they could do a foot prick for the blood samples ( its like a chart where they take 8 drops of blood )
Both were circed although one was botched but they put some numbing stuff on the penis before they cut the skin.
Both also got a shot within about 12 hours of being born.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #18
tawnia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always forgo shots in the hospital...well actually we just forgo shots until about 4-6 months.

My boys have been circed (daddy's wishes), but my OB is seriously the most gentle surgeon ever. She always does a block for pain. As she says, "Would you want surgery done without it?" (BTW, I also thought it would be a ped. dr. who would do it, but it's usually the OB, because you have to be a surgeon to do the procedure in the hospital.)

The jaundice check isn't bad. I wish I'd taken the whole jaundice thing a little more seriously. I thought sunshine when we got home would always be enough. My last little guy wound up pumpkin orange and back in the hospital at 6 days, though. Then you have more foot slicing than a mama can bear.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #19
erin_brycesmom
Registered Users
seller

Actually a significant portion of circumcisions are performed without any numbing. You will need to check with the specific dr who will be performing your son's circumcision to find out if they will be using anything. My first son was circ'd and they did use something but when they were trying to take my second son away to be circ'd (years later), I asked the dr and he said he does not use anything to numb. Surveys have been sent out to drs and the outcome was that MOST OBs do NOT use any anesthesia at all. We know one thing for sure - there are a significant amount of drs of all kind who do not use anesthesia for circumcision. Check this out:

Quote:
They found that 71% of pediatricians, 56% of family practice physicians, and 25% of obstetricians used anesthesia (Table 2). Of those who chose not to use anesthesia, 54% cited "concern over adverse drug effects," and 44% responded that "the procedure does not warrant anesthesia."[31]
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/453637_4

If this is accurate, then if you have a Ped doing the circ, there is a better chance that anesthesia will be used. Still though, almost 30% of peds don't use any . 75% of OBs do not use anesthesia for circs. This makes sense for my experience because the dr who was going to do my 2nd ds's circ was an OB.

I would ask specifically what kind of anesthesia will be used as well because there is pretty good evidence out there about what works well and what doesn't.

Anywho, I'm opposed to circumcision but thought I'd answer the question anyhow. If I was going to do it, I'd make **** sure that proper anesthesia was used. And honestly, I'd just forget about concern over any other poking or prodding because if you are going to get your ds circ'd then what is the difference if they experience a foot pricking?

Last edited by erin_brycesmom; 06-11-2007 at 11:21 AM.
erin_brycesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #20
laytonsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my son in the hospital but had NOTHING done on him. No circ, no shots, no tests whatsoever....we even declined the hearing test that they offer. Do your research and do what you feel is best for your child.