Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #21
carleyc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you have your baby pricked, probed, and cut right after birth?

We did not do any immunizations at birth. Our hospital does not slice or even prick their foot to test bilirubin. They have a little thing that looks like a ear thermometer that they stick on their forehead to test it. It doesn't require any blood.

We did hsvr our son circ'd and they did numb it. He actually slept through the whole thing.

Advertisement

Last edited by carleyc; 06-11-2007 at 11:28 AM.
carleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #22
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

they numbed my first sons circ.. not the second.. neither of them cried at all during or after...

I didnt know they slice in their foot!?
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #23
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tharen had absolutely no testing or shots or anything done at the hospital. He was big and they wanted blood sugar testing (any baby over 8.5lbs, he was 8lbs 9ozs) my midwife knew I wouldn't allow it, she fudged his weight by one ounce on his records so they would leave him alone. At the hospital I deliver at they use a scanner to test for jaundice. It looks alot like the new thermometers that they rub across the baby's head. It isn't as acurate, but it is really all that most babies need. If the readings come back elevated several times in a row or the baby starts looking bad, acting strange then they order the blood test, but we got out without one. We also waved the PKU until 10days when it is actually acurate. Now Tharen did wind up needing a Jaundice test when he was several days old. He quit eating and got really sleepy the day after we brought him home from the hospital and I had to take him back to the ER. His bili was high because he wasn't eating enough to flush his system so we wound up having to do the test to see just how high it was. And he had lost too much weight. Luckily the LC was good and got him back on the breast with the help of a nipple sheild. I had to wake him every hour for a few days to force feed him, but he cleared quickly after that. Just a combination of him being sleepy from birth and my having large breasts and flat nipples that made it hard for him to latch. When it was too much work he just quit trying. Of course you wouldn't guess that by seeing him eat now.

ETA: We do not vax or circ at all so he hasn't had any shots since the hospital either. Though he did have to have a blood panel for food allergies at 12months.

Last edited by iris0110; 06-11-2007 at 11:36 AM.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #24
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscaMae View Post
They do a heel stick using an automatic lancet. It is a tiny blade inside a plastic applicator. You push the button and the blade does a quick poke (it is very similar to what diabetics use to get blood to check their blood sugar). The nurse should poke the side of the heel where there are fewer nerve endings.
The immunization is for hepatitis B. If you chose to not get this right after birth you need to be SURE of your hep B status. Michigan pays for this shot for all babies born in the state because a baby died! The mom was hep B positive and no one knew. If you are negative I think you can wait on that shot (or not get it if you are not having your child immunized).
we had the same done!
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #25
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscaMae View Post
They do a heel stick using an automatic lancet. It is a tiny blade inside a plastic applicator. You push the button and the blade does a quick poke (it is very similar to what diabetics use to get blood to check their blood sugar). The nurse should poke the side of the heel where there are fewer nerve endings.
The immunization is for hepatitis B. If you chose to not get this right after birth you need to be SURE of your hep B status. Michigan pays for this shot for all babies born in the state because a baby died! The mom was hep B positive and no one knew. If you are negative I think you can wait on that shot (or not get it if you are not having your child immunized).
Actually the hep b shot is no good if the mom is positive. If the baby is born to a positive mother they first need tested for Hep B, and then if they don't have it they need a different shot. If they get it during delivery giving the shot after birth isn't going to do a thing for them.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #26
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, dd was a FSBC transfer to a hospital so as per hospital rules, she had to have the heel poke. She had very elevated levels of billirubin so she got the heel poke every 3 hours for 5 days. Talk about torture. No vaccinations, no eye gel, nothing else besides the heel poke. Next baby, we will be HB so nothing. And if it's a boy, no circ. We also dont peirce our babies ears. I dont believe in routine cosmetic procedures done without consent of the person they are being done to.
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #27
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Like a PP said, do some research to see what is right for your family. I would say make a birth plan that outlines your wishes. I have one that I gave to my midwife on my first appointment with her at 19 weeks. She looked it over and let me know that there are some things that the hospital just doesn't do. Like walking epidurals are not done there, and eating during labor is not permitted at all. I also have on there that no shots of any sort are to be administered to the baby without prior consent from me or my boyfriend, as well as no bottles or pacifiers. I also put that the baby is to remain in the presence of one of us at all times as to ensure that our wishes are met. Although I also understand that there are circumstances in which our wishes cannot be met like if there are problems with the baby. But it's nice to know that our midwife knows and respects our wishes for our child.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #28
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkinflame13 View Post
They slice their feet to check jaundice? What else do they do? What is the purpose of the foot slicing? Do they do anything else like that? And what about the immunization shot? What is that for?
They dont actually "slice" the foot.. they use a small lancet designed for infants to prick the heel and then squeeze out the blood into a vial (similar to the finger prick done to check for anemia). Honestly they usually wait a day or two to check jaundice levels anyway.. its not a routine thing (at least were I had my babies) its only done if they look quite jaundiced.

Now when they do Newborn screening they also prick the heel and squeeze blood (quite a bit) to fill several circles to check for a whole long list of disorders. They did that in front of me with ds and I was a bit horrified, but on the other hand this is a test that MUST be done before leaving the hospital (the Ped cant do it) so i consented to it.

They usually give babies a shot of Vitamin K after birth as well as the first Hep B vaccine. Im pretty sure my babies both got Vit K, but not the Hep B (we're non-vaxing).
Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #29
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Heather...I know they tested for Jaundice on Landon but we didn't have to come back for anything. He was borderline on his color being close to jaundice, so they say, but everything turned out fine. I only mention that cuz we delivered at the same hospital. The circ went fine, though I wasn't there to watch it they brought him to me right afterwards and he was sleeping. Some of it was a blur b/c while they were stitching me back up and sent me to recovery daniel was with the baby doing that stuff then he came to be with me in recovery. They didnt' circ him the first day i think it was the day we left (day 3). I'd have to go back and look at all the papers. LOL
Old 06-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #30
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The lancet does actually make a little slice, not a prick at all. When you get your finger tested for iron or sugar(diabetic) it is a poke and not a lancet. The lancet takes out more blood and makes a larger opening. My son has scar tissues on his foot from the lancet. At 2 months he was really jaundiced still so we had his levels checked then.

My DS was born at home and we didn't have anything done. They do have a state mandated PKU test which we declined. IF we wanted it my midwife would of done it at home. At almost 2 months he was circumcised by a pediatrician. He got 3 shots on his penis before the circumcision. ONce it was time to clamp he didnt feel a thing. I'm sure he felt the first shots but that was it. He hasn't had anything done since then.

My dds were born in a military hospital and they didn't have anything done at the hospital either. I signed the baby out AMA and went home after 12 hours. I went back to the hospital at day 3 to have any tests done.

Nothing is mandatory!