Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2006, 09:08 AM   #11
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O -- eating out frugally

We aren't too frugal with this one but here's how we do it.

We try to only go *expensive* when we don't have the kiddies. With an 11 1/2 yr. old boy it's like 3 adults now. We prefer National Coney Island (great salads) and family friendly restaurants (Red Robin, Chili's, Applebees, ect) when we have the kiddies. Fast food is a rare things.

We all always order water instead of drinks. Never dessert or an appitizer. DD always shares. Coupons on occasion (depends on where we are headed). for Christmas I buy restaurant gift cards and stuff them in our stockings, I just used my last one last Saturday night.

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We ONLY frequent places that we can go for under a $20 bill... for example

Uh, our favorite restaurant costs us $7 for 3 people ($10 with tip included). Tres Amigos is the restaurant. DH and I order 2 tacos each, DS orders 1 and our meal comes with soup and chips and salsa!!! We end up stuffed to the gills!

Our other favorite, Azteca, costs us $15 with tip included.

We only go places where an appetizer is included (even if it's just some bread). Otherwise DS has a fit. We always order water with lemon to drink. Very rarely have we spent more than $20, if we do it's $25. Once a year we go to Johnny's Italian Steakhouse for our anniversary and that is a $50-$60 bill

Last edited by ewebabymama; 06-22-2006 at 11:53 AM.
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:23 PM   #13
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No drinks, use coupons and eat on kids eat free nights. We have been able to go to Denny's with a coupon a eat (a family of 3) for $7 plus tip before.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
stopka7224
Registered Users
seller

Kids eat free at O'Charley's every day I think. Not sure we don't eat out. Also we have a CiCi's pizza buffet. It's like $5 per adult and $3 per child. You can't go wrong there. I am not a big buffet fan though.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #15
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

We're HORRIBLE at this. Dh LOVES to get appetizers.
But we're trying to get better. We went to Olive Garden about a week ago and just got the soup and salad (we went during lunch time) so it was only 5.95 each (but we got an appetizer lol).
Riley is still young enough to share whatever is on our plate. Sometimes I just order her like a plate of fruit or like a peice of chicken which is cheaper then a huge kids meal for a 1 year old that eats MAYBE 1/3 of anyway.
We hardly every eat dessert unless were at Bjs and then a Pazookie is a must have
Old 06-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #16
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

We rarely eat at a sit down restaurant, twice a year. Because we do so rarely we get appetizers and the works. However I take half of mine and set it aside to take home. When we eat out like that it is only dh and I.

If we eat out it is fast food which is always cheaper than us sitting down in a restaurant.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

We're not very good at this either...but I usually try to do what a pp said...see what dh is ordering and I decide what the boys get, then I try to pick something super cheap for me. Also, when it's feasible - I share my plate with both the kids...keeps me from over-indulging and saves on getting the boys something that may or may not get eaten. If we go to a fast food place, like mcd's or bk, the boys have to have their own meals because their appetites are blossoming! But, I try to limit our eating out...for 1) money and 2) health! (the reg. cheeseburger at mcd's is like 300 cal...seems like a lot to me for a 2yo! and that's not even considering the fat grams)

Dh has expensive tastes and a hefty appetite...always appetizers (even when the meal comes with bread or chips) and typically an expensive entree.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #18
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

Some of your prices are amazing. I would love to feed the family dinner for $20 when we go out. I am always thrilled when lunch costs under $20. Lunch last weekend at Culvers (really yummy new restaurant) cost dh and I $17, ds was not home and dd shared. Dinner generally costs us around $40 and lunch around $20, keep in mind dd shares but we do have a tween boy. There is one place dh and I go once a year (think fondue) and that's a touch over $100 (so worth it though). Usually twice a month dh and I have a nice quiet dinner (no kids) and that's about $50. I'm going to be honest and say that Friday and Saturday night we eat dinner out, Saturday and Sunday we eat lunch out and occasionaly on Sunday we also eat breakfast out. All the other times I cook. I spend about $100 in groceries every week (6-7 breakfasts, 5 lunches and 5 dinners) and about $100 out to eat (2 dinners, 2 lunches and maybe a breakfast). Wow, when I write it down it seems extreme. Shhh...don't let dh know he'd freak!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #19
Meleesa
Banned

Denny's does kids eat freeon Tuesdays and Saturdays

my girls often share a plate, again, water, not sodas or anything..
Meleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #20
Choose2bgr8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For a "date night" DH and I pick a restaurant. Get drinks (I usually have water) and share a meal.

If we have the kids we don't usually eat out to be honest. We only take the kids when we have a little extra to spare for the week.
Choose2bgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote