Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #11
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Re: Non-Vaxers: How nice of my Mother.... (small rant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
My mom still mentions ever few months she worries about us not vaxing Jackson. But she does it in a loving way, she was told vaccines were best and to not giving them to your child was basically saying you didn't love your child enough to protect them. She trusts my judgement and knows I research every decision I make for Jack. She's just having a hard time going back and relearning everything. kwim?

I'm always open to reading information. So she sends me stuff sometimes. But she sends both pro and anti vax stuff to me.

I love my mom.
I love your Mom, too. I know my Mom means well (most of the time) but she just goes about it the wrong way. My Mom knows me well enough to know that we would NOT make this decision without a massive amount of research, and has said that she does trust my judgement. But then once in a while, she does crap like this.

Advertisement

tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #12
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Quote:
"First, persons have been concerned about the duration of immunity. Available evidence indicates immunity to varicella should be long term, probably life long."

Um... nope. Sorry. That's why there are huge numbers of 9-10 year olds getting it now. Because they gain lifetime immunity from the vaccine.

It would be nice if you could find literature that was simply factual (pro or anti). Not loaded with completely obvious lies. *sigh*
Oh, I know. That's why I didn't even bother to read through most of it. I have stuff to counter probably everything in that article. But, like I said, she wouldn't read it anyway, and would tell me that anyone could find anything to back up their POV if they really needed to.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #13
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's easier when your husband's on board though. DH asked today if we were going to give Jack any shots at all. *sigh* He won't research, or at least hasn't informed me of any research. I'm looking forward to the day when MIL finds out we don't vax. THAT will be the biggest fight EVER. He's a total mama's boy and we didn't speak for a month almost when MIL flipped because I stood up against Jack being circumcised. So, I can imagine this will go the same way.

He's 14 months, has already had CP and is still alive. I must be doing something right. lol.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #14
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Whoa, that site is a sad, bad joke, full of lies and misconceptions. It must be the government/pharmacy retaliation for the non-vaxing awareness that is spreading because of all the harm that has been done. I can't believe the misconceptions part and the bagging on naturopathic doctors part.

ETA: certified naturopathic doctors have to go to school for 8 years, just the same as any MD, and chiropractors have 10 years of schooling. This site totally discredits them, and it's really rude!

Last edited by MamaLove; 06-11-2007 at 04:56 PM.
MamaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #15
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Quote:
It's easier when your husband's on board though. DH asked today if we were going to give Jack any shots at all. *sigh* He won't research, or at least hasn't informed me of any research. I'm looking forward to the day when MIL finds out we don't vax. THAT will be the biggest fight EVER. He's a total mama's boy and we didn't speak for a month almost when MIL flipped because I stood up against Jack being circumcised. So, I can imagine this will go the same way.

He's 14 months, has already had CP and is still alive. I must be doing something right. lol.
Lucky for me, my DH is VERY on board with not vaxing. That must be hard on ya.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #16
alasich
Registered Users

My Mood:

Okay, I couldn't even get past misconception #1 on that list! They didn't point out that DEATHS from diseases had most definitely begun to decline.

1920 measles deaths: 7,575
http://science.education.nih.gov/sup...s-database.htm

1962 measles deaths: 408
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...ses&deaths.pdf

The vaccine was licensed in 1963.

I wonder what that number would be like today without the vaccine, since it declined almost 95% in 42 years pre-vaccine. Now, 45 more years later, it would be much lower.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #17
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lesson learned for next time: what grandma doesn't know won't hurt her.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #18
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had a pretty much knock-down drag-out fight with my MIL and FIL when we were just delaying vax with my older 2.

We haven't discussed the youngest's medical care with them at all My MIL has learned that she can't force me or guilt me into doing something I don't agree with.

I printed out reams of stuff for her and FIL back then; she too didn't take the time to read it. I finally cut off all conversation about it by telling her that if she couldn't make the time to read it and thought she knew better about my children's medical decisions then I did, who HAD taken months to research it... she could kiss my patootie. It went over like a lead balloon, lol, but she has shut up about it now.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #19
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
That's how I see it. Both my mother and my MIL are nurses and would FREAK if they knew we weren't vaxing. We're just not mentioning what we're up to.
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #20
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by togg_mama View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyrie View Post
That's how I see it. Both my mother and my MIL are nurses and would FREAK if they knew we weren't vaxing. We're just not mentioning what we're up to.
See my above post for that explanation. It's not something I normally share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasich View Post
Okay, I couldn't even get past misconception #1 on that list! They didn't point out that DEATHS from diseases had most definitely begun to decline.

1920 measles deaths: 7,575
http://science.education.nih.gov/sup...s-database.htm

1962 measles deaths: 408
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...ses&deaths.pdf

The vaccine was licensed in 1963.

I wonder what that number would be like today without the vaccine, since it declined almost 95% in 42 years pre-vaccine. Now, 45 more years later, it would be much lower.
Yep, I know. That research was included in all of the info I have already given to her. Had she taken the time to read any of it, she could have seen how off those "statistics" were. After several emails back and forth between us today, this is what I just sent back to her. Her last email to me was very hurtful and she all but accused me of not caring for my children.

Quote:
Mom-

I don't want to discuss it anymore with you. We haven't made our decisions based soley on internet reading. I've spent a lot of time doing research on this, most of which came from books that we bought, read at the library, or borrowed from others. This is our decison, and it's not, nor has it ever been, up for discussion. I didn't tell you we choose not to vaccinate because I wanted your opinion, or because I wanted you to convince me it is the wrong decision. I told you because if John and I were to die, our children would be in your care and I wouldn't want there to be any surprises. It hurts me, and upsets me, that you won't respect our decisions and let this go. I am days away from having a baby, and I don't have the time or the energy to discuss this with you again. I've already given you plenty of information to back up why we made this decision, and you chose not to read it. I appreciate that you are concerned, but we're not going to change our minds on this. So please, let me focus on what's happening very soon, and let this go.

Tara