View Poll Results: How old is too old for practicing family bath/showers
I don't believe in family showers/baths ever 5 7.14%
family showers/baths are fine as long as everyone is the same sex 13 18.57%
1-2 11 15.71%
3-4 14 20.00%
4-5 19 27.14%
6-7 18 25.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Green~Mammy
Banned

S/O how often your children bathe...how old is too old for a family shower

How old is too old for a family shower/bath? Does it matter if it is same sex parent child after a certain age?

My DS's are 4 1/2 years old and 12 months old. I shower with the baby routinely sometimes my 4 1/2 year old hops in but he prefers bubble baths. I also will sometimes hop in the bath with both boys if I am sweaty and want a quick rinse while washing them up before bed.

I was just wondering if you practice family bath/shower does it matter to you if the child is not the same sex and if it makes a difference if the children are the same sex as you. Meaning would you practice FS/B longer if they were your same sex.

Some mama's on another board I go to there DD have never seen either parent naked or there Dad naked or the mama's don't like the 1 year old DS to see them etc.

I thought it was odd because they are their kids and it is not like bathing and getting dressed are taboo/sexual things. We don't hide away when bathing and getting dressed. I don't strut around naked and neither does my DH but we don't make sure every inch is covered and we all shower together from time to time. So they thought I was weird.

Advertisement

Green~Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
nadjarea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O how often your children bathe...how old is too old for a family shower

I picked it's okay if everyone is the same sex, but really...I didn't mind until about this year...and before we had a great huge shower everyone could get in. Now our tiny shower can barely hold two let alone six. I don't mind the girls showering with me and the boys...probably until they are about five....or more mature...kwim? Same for dh.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didnt vote yet .. but I will choose 6-7 I dont find anything wrong with my son jumping in the shower with me.. we still have a family bath... yep.. all of us still get in a HUGE tub together.. wash up .. splash water and such.. not a big issue in our house... they can stop taking baths with us when they think they are to old for it... till then.. fair game.. BTW... the last time I showered with my own mom .. I was pregnant with my second dd... I was having contractions.. and she jumped in with me... no issue at all..

** I wanted to add.. the only time where it was an issue was when My dd was just about walking age.. she was in the shower with daddy ..and slipped.. and yanked his junk.. daddy went screaming and it broke her heart..LOL... now they kinda just jump in with whoever is in there.. and my son is going to be 5 in august.. he is super smart.. and really only asked one time about the differ in our private area.. I told him ..and he moved on.. he wont shower with others.. * like his cousin his age... but he will jump in with me or daddy .. * and as far as us being naked.. we are VERY open in this family .. I dont feel they have to feel ashamed of their bodies.. ya know.. so sometimes .. he will put only undies on and hang out on the couch b4 getting dressed... or walk in stark naked and say he is going take a bath.. and we never made a big deal of it.. so I guess it is just natural.. and my dd could go naked all day .. she loves it.. (3) we need to move to the woods and let them just go freely.. HHAHAHAHA

Last edited by mrsbehaven007; 06-11-2007 at 08:52 PM.
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to sometimes let ODS shower with me at times. He is very curious now though and he wants to look and "touch" when someone is naked. That just makes me uncomfortable, so we don't let him shower with us or see us naked anymore. Our babies are starting to get a bit curious about each others parts, so I'm not sure how much longer we are going to get away with washing them all together. I am very conservative about this area though, so I'm sure I'm just a bit paranoid!
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
haynmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're pretty much openenly naked in front of our kids. My parents were the same way. No one is embarrassed about it and it doesn't seem to bother anyone. We don't let the older ones shower together because they end up wasting water and playing around in the shower. DH is into conserving water and cutting our showers short, otherwise I wouldn't have a problem with them showering together. They are 9 and 6 and just aren't interested in each other's packages. DD2 showers w/me everynight. My kids are embarrassed to be naked in front of anyone who is not a family member, even their cousins who they are very close to. Is this wrong what we do?

Last edited by haynmama; 06-11-2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: naking
haynmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My daughter still showers and bathes with me. My boyfriend doesn't really shower with her anymore, but that's more so because she's a grabby curious kind of kid. She will poke us in the butt and announce "butt!" with regularity, so I don't blame him on his concern for his man parts. . She still sees both of us without clothes after showers fairly often so it's not like the nudity is taboo.

If we had a boy I'd say the family bath would be ended by his 4th birthday. At least with me.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
alasich
Registered Users

My Mood:

I voted 4-5 but it definitely depends on the kid. My ds is VERY young for his age. He is 4 but seems really innocent compared to his friends. And he doesn't really notice things (although he's really bright academically)--like I can buy a present for him while he's sitting in the cart at Target and he'd never notice. My dd is so not like that. I definitely think when she is 4 she will be too old to shower with her daddy.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't vote because I think it depends on the child. It kind of makes me uncomfortable that I remember showering with my dad... I was probably 7 or 8 at the time. It didn't bother me then, but now it's weird to think about. My parents were very open about nudity, but I was the one who was uncomfortable. I didn't want to be nude around my parents and I didn't want to see them nude either.

I am much different now. DS will be 3 in September and I can't take a shower without him jumping in. Yesterday he asked me to take a bath with him, and the only problem I had with it is that I am starting not to fit so well as I am getting bigger!

I think DS will be allowed to shower with me as long as everyone (in the nuclear family) is comfortable with it.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
Green~Mammy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelMommy View Post
as long as everyone (in the nuclear family) is comfortable with it.
That is pretty much how our family is as long as everyone is comfortable then it is fine, if I become uncomfortable or my son's then things would change.

Last edited by Green~Mammy; 06-11-2007 at 08:46 PM. Reason: our not are
Green~Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #10
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbehaven007 View Post
I didnt vote yet .. but I will choose 6-7 I dont find anything wrong with my son jumping in the shower with me.. we still have a family bath... yep.. all of us still get in a HUGE tub together.. wash up .. splash water and such.. not a big issue in our house... they can stop taking baths with us when they think they are to old for it... till then.. fair game.. BTW... the last time I showered with my own mom .. I was pregnant with my second dd... I was having contractions.. and she jumped in with me... no issue at all..

That's funny....I will jump in the shower with my mom. I could care less. We were raised like that though. Me, my husband, and our 17 month old always shower together