View Poll Results: How old is too old for practicing family bath/showers
I don't believe in family showers/baths ever 5 7.14%
family showers/baths are fine as long as everyone is the same sex 13 18.57%
1-2 11 15.71%
3-4 14 20.00%
4-5 19 27.14%
6-7 18 25.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
Green~Mammy
Banned

Re: S/O how often your children bathe...how old is too old for a family shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbehaven007 View Post
** I wanted to add.. the only time where it was an issue was when My dd was just about walking age.. she was in the shower with daddy ..and slipped.. and yanked his junk.. daddy went screaming and it broke her heart..LOL... now they kinda just jump in with whoever is in there.. and my son is going to be 5 in august.. he is super smart.. and really only asked one time about the differ in our private area.. I told him ..and he moved on.. he wont shower with others.. * like his cousin his age... but he will jump in with me or daddy .. * and as far as us being naked.. we are VERY open in this family .. I dont feel they have to feel ashamed of their bodies.. ya know.. so sometimes .. he will put only undies on and hang out on the couch b4 getting dressed... or walk in stark naked and say he is going take a bath.. and we never made a big deal of it.. so I guess it is just natural.. and my dd could go naked all day .. she loves it.. (3) we need to move to the woods and let them just go freely.. HHAHAHAHA

OMG your poor DH but it made me chickle We feel the same way we want our kids to be comfortable in their skin, my DS has asked about my body and I just answer his questions no big deal. He is always shedding his clothes as soon as we are home or our visitors leave i will here "Mommy can I take my shorts off!" and then later he will be down to just underpants. The baby roams naked in the mornings to air out.

Children are at their most primitive when they are this young and while My DH and I have to teach them how to function correctly in society I LOVE that they are so carefree too.

Advertisement

Green~Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #12
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm, I don't know. The kids bathe together at almost 5 and almost 2. I have bathed with DD recently, but usually not DS anymore. DH isn't real comfortable with DD seeing him naked. I go to the bathroom while DS is in the tub, but that's about it.

To be honest, for me it's more that the tub is the one place I get a few minutes to myself than anything else!!! lol

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #13
debdebdebby13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD who will be a year old on Friday ** takes all of her baths at home with me (she takes lots of baths at Grandma's too, but those are just her in the tub). I don't think I'll mind bathing with her ever, we'll stop if she ever wants to. DH on the other hand, doesn't mind be naked around her, but I think he'd feel awkward if he bathed with her. Of course he'd give her a bath before we did all our baths together. If we have a boy some day I think I'll bathe with him too but I'll probably stop around age 3 or 4 depending on his behavior. He can takes baths with daddy as long as he wants! To me past a certain age its a gender appropriateness thing.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #14
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I voted 6-7 but only because you didn't have older options.

I think family showers/baths are great, and I really enjoy bathing and showering with Henry. We will do it until he decides not to. If thats 6, 12 or 18, that's cool with me. It is not unusual for me, my mom and Henry to all shower together. Its just not a big deal to me.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
AmandaMacK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The boys 2 and 3 shower with one of us, preferably dh since he's skinner and they can fit into our one stall shower better than I lol. I guess until they feel the need not too or dh gets uncomfortable it's fine. Saves on water cus they're not throwing it out of the tub lol
Old 06-12-2007, 06:40 AM   #16
KV Boo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I choose 1-2.

My husband will not take a shower with the baby(10 months old) he doesn't think it's right no matter what age they are for children opposite sex of parents to do that. I usually shower/bathe with them till there 1-2 years old. Right now the baby takes a shower/bath with me every night it's just easier that way.

Mommy to Tatiana 12 years old
Stacy 10 years old and Gabriella born August 3, 2006 My little baby girl!!
KV Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #17
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didn't vote because I plan on continuing to shower together until it just doesn't work anymore...however old they may be. Ds1 has asked me a couple of times where my pee-pee is...but I address it very simply and he goes on about his business.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #18
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As long as everyone is comfortable with it I see no problem. We routinely practice family baths and showers and Im sure itll continue until the kids are at least 6 or 7, if not older (it also depends on the kids reactions).

Now we are getting gaurdianship of a 5 yr old in July and she wont be joining us in family showers (at least not with DH) but thats only becasue she isnt our child. However she did routinely join us in family showers when we had her at 3 and younger (her mama didnt mind). However she does and will continue to bathe with DS (17 mo).

Growing up, we always took our baths with dad.. I continued to bathe with Dad till I was about 4-5 and got way too curious for him. But my little sister was seriously like 8-9 and still bathing with dad. We always had an open door policy with the bathroom and it was just normal to see each other in the nude.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #19
laytonsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynmama View Post
We're pretty much openenly naked in front of our kids. My parents were the same way. No one is embarrassed about it and it doesn't seem to bother anyone.
Same here. I voted 6-7. My DSS who is 9 showers on his own. I think by 2nd-3rd grade kids should shower on their own. But, that's JMO. My parents did family showers with my brother and I until I was about 5.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #20
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

I shower every day and there was no option of showering together opposite sex as long as we are comfortable.
I still shower with DS and he screams and cries if I try to take a shower without him. Hes a little slow for his age because the verbal dispraxia holds him back but its just a bonding thing for him. He stands there and soaps up real quick then the rest of the time he just wants to be held and relaxes with his head on my shoulder.
I wouldnt stop it for the world till he decides he doesnt want to.