Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
saweetmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wool and wooden toys

Call me a noob if you want, if you must lol For as long as we've been natural (years), I never saw it until now. I love the idea, though, I'd love to start making some of the wool toys myself, but.. what's wrong with the cute colorful plastic ones out there? I thought what we had were educational enough, without the fear of my child getting excited, throwing a wood toy, and it hitting one of my other children lol

Anyone care to explain it to me? Thanks in advance

Advertisement

Proud Army Wife & Mom to 6 glorious children

*Visit my parenting blog Crazy Adventures in Parenting* Ebay feedback BW feedback
saweetmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wool and wooden toys

Well first off plastic is toxic.

As far as sensory is concerned..plastic will always feel like plastic. But wood and wool are natural occuring materials so they hold body temperature and vary in texture. Natural toys let a child decide what the voice sounds like, what they want to do with it, etc.. Most plastic toys are only able to be played with a certain way. Natural toys can really open up a whole new world of imagination. The child plays the toy instead of the toy plays for the child. There is a wealth of info on this subject if you do a search.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
motherdragon926
Registered Users

Some people are also concerned with the chemicals that could leech off plastic toys, esp if your baby/child is mouthing them. Also, the production of plastic uses petroleum and is damaging to the environment.

Having said that, I do have some plastic toys (mostly gifts) and we do keep the ones that don't have batteries. Things like legos or his play kitchen that are still good for imaginative play. (Though I would LOVE a wooden play kitchen! They are just so $$$$$)
motherdragon926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:

I was whining to my family about all the plastic toys we have so someone bought us this wooden toy set. DD immediately grabbed the toy hammer and broke it in half. Lol. SO I'm not real sure anymore what I want!
maggie_may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
themom
Registered Users

I love wooden and cloth toys! I'm not totally against plastic though. We have some plastic food and of course legos and things. I just like how classic natural toys are.
themom is offline   Reply With Quote