Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Amers411
Registered Users

What is your reason for choosing the type of diaper you use most?

I am so new to CD that I don't even have them in my hands yet!! I'm curious about why someone would use pockets over AIOs, prefolds over flat or fitted etc. There seems to be sooo many varieties and options that I can't see the forest through the trees so to speak. I am waiting on a couple of different brands of pocket diapers as the ease of use coupled with the choice of absorbancy appealed to me. So I understand the benefits vs. drawbacks tell me why I might want to try a fitted with a cover or a prefold with a cover instead. Thanks!

Advertisement

Amers411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
mikkismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is your reason for choosing the type of diaper you use most?

I really use all the dipes in my stash all the time and for specific reasons. I love pfs because they're so absorbant. I use them at night with no leaks. And I use them around the house to go coverless so my dd's bum can get a little air.
But I do like to have pockets around because they're easy for dh to use and because they're trim and will fit under her clothes for outings.
I don't use AIO because they take too long to dry and are too expensive for me.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
nikkiof5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The biggest thing to me is fit. Absorbency is important but if the fit is wrong and my LO isnt comfortable, I dont care how absorbent they are. Id rather change her every hour and have her comfortable than have her diaper just not fitting her right just so that it soaks up more. KWIM?
nikkiof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use fitteds mostly during the day right now because I needed something with natrual fiber for my DS because he gets a rash if he is in synthetic for too long.

I use PFs when its laundry day or without a cover when he needs a little air and its hot out.

I use my pockets (with a liner) for outings because they are soooooo trim fitting under his clothes.

I am not a fan of the AIO because they take forever and a day to dry and I just don't have that much for patience hehe.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
LindusandGrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At the moment it's a combo or Fit and daycare friendly. which means maily pf's me and BG's for daycare.

Don't like my lack of punctuation or spelling? Don't read my posts.
"Home is what catches you when you fall. And we all fall."
LindusandGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
foxflame88
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I first learned about "today's cloth" I first started out with AIO, as they worked just like a sposie. With more experience trying other things, I have changed my entire stash to pockets and AI2 because it cuts drying time in half, being able to remove the absorbant layers. I also find them to be less bulky, and therefore, more comfortable.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I use prefolds and wool or bumgenius. I use the bg because they are one-size and will fit both Sara and the next baby, they fit for a very long period of time making them worth the money, and they fit Sara so trimly. They go under jeans with no problems. Prefolds and wool are our mainstay. The wool breathes well and is cute and stands in for clothing and we never have to worry about how bulky the diaper is because the wool always fits over it without a problem. The prefolds are absorbent, very soft, can be customized for each kid and each kid's needs, and they are so easy to wash. No little folds to hide poop or stink, dry faster than fitteds, and can stand up to years of abuse. They will go from kid to kid without a problem. I'm saving Sara's prefolds for our next baby.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #8
My2punkins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For us its mainly about the weather. Summer is fitteds and wool mostly, Winter is AIOs. My son wears more AIOs and pockets because they work better for him now, but he has fitteds and wool for breathability in the heat. Dd tends to get more rashy in PUL so she wears less of it in the heat, more in the colder months for under clothes, etc.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #9
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS wet straight through and got rashy with prefolds and covers, same with fitteds. We have to use pockets. In addition, he racted to suedecloth, so his pockets have to have fleece or athletic wicking fabric inners.

We were using Fuzzibunz, but DS outgrew the PL in the rise, and the XL were WAY too big for his measurements. We wound up with Happy Heinys because they have a super long rise, and so does DS!

Each child is different, so what works for one child may not work well for another (even in the same family!)

Good luck! For me it was really trial and error.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #10
amjbmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love the durability and simplicity of prefolds... I feel I get a big BANG for my buck with PF's. I have a few Kushie fitteds which are working great for a nightime diaper (with a trifolded PF as a doubler and a pro-wrap cover) no leaks so far and my lo sleeps 10hrs straight. I'm actually looking around and getting opinions/reviews on fitteds since I'ld like to add some to our stash for dh... so far Bum Genius bamboo fitteds are on my list as well as MEOS and Sandy's. I like the idea of one size since I have a feeling there's another lo (or 2 ) in our future.