Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
? for moms of girls, do you put them in bikini's?

i am not sure how I feel about this. I have an issue with our societys sexualization of little girls, but personally when *I* see a baby girl in a two piece I just think its cute.

I do put my older dd (almost 8) in a two piece, but for totally different reasons. She has a gtube (feeding tube) and you cannot access it in a one piece without taking all her top off, which I say no way to! Not to mention that with the two piece I can get to her diaper and change her when needed.

I actually just bought a bikini for younger dd (19 months, see photo in O/T, should I keep it post) because I thought the suit was cute and well, I like her round little belly

So I am wondering about other mamas on here. Do you put your dd in a bikini? If so, up to what age? Why or why not?

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ? for moms of girls, do you put them in bikini's?

DD is 9 months and we got her a bikini over the weekend and she wore it at the beach on Sunday. It covered all over her chest but I see nothing wrong with that in babies or little girls. It's all in how they wear it to me.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:

All three of mine wear them. They are 5, 4, and the 9 month old just doesn't have one, she has a one piece. I don't see a problem with it. We are usually just with family when we swim.

Nikki
Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 2.5yo and 9 month old both have them, and I don't feel uncomfortable about it. When they get to be 4 or 5 though, I will probably switch to one pieces.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
MBC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is almost 6 months old. I actually don't like the look bikinis I think it makes them look too grown up too early.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
DiaperDiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think it doesnt matter what kind of bathing suit you put them in their are weirdos out there. you can put them in an oversized sweatshirt, wont change that! my mom never made me wear one pieces either. they were too umcomfortable. i liked the bathing suits with boy short bottoms because i HATE my butt hanging out my bathing suit and tht always happens with one peices.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a tankini (no tummy showing) is fine but a bikini no way not in this house at least until they are way older. My dd's would not feel comfortable in it either they are very aware of how much skin they are showing and wont even wear certain dresses Our family just does not feel it is appropriate. I also do not think it looks cute. Just my
ISO GMS & Wool:

Last edited by Shyla; 06-12-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope - I grew up not allowed to wear a bikini ever because my Mom always said she didn't want strange men staring at her little girl. (that wasn't the reason she gave me until I was much older) Her reasoning sunk in with me and as a result dd will never be allowed to wear a bikini either. I know that won't completely stop perverts from staring at dd but IMO it helps.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Exactly... I worry about creepy people staring at my dd's!

Celeste (almost 8) wears her bikini's out of neccesity as I mentioned above. i would rather a strip of tummy skin show than have her topless when she needs to eat or drink. I try to buy her modest ones, that cover as much as possible on top and have boy short type bottoms.

As an aside, I went to target to get her a second suit for summer (school takes the kids swimming everyday so we need two) and all I saw were halters and really skimpy ones. Like the ones with little triangles to cover where the breasts would be, if they had them. That IMO was too much, I would not be comfortable putting my child in those.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd's are tank style tops - we got them from Lands End.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote