Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 12:05 PM   #11
nikkiof5's Avatar
nikkiof5
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,835
My Mood:
Re: Tell Me About Baby Hammocks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by susansabrina View Post
I have the happyhangup and I love it. I actually found mine at the thrift store of all places! My ds liked to nap in it when he was younger and now loves to swing/bounce in it. It is very well made and looks really neat hanging in our livingroom from an eye bolt in the ceiling. It is very light and would be easily packed away or traveled with. The lady who donated it swore by it and only donated it because all her kids had grown out of it. She told the thrift store people she used it like a crib for her kids but there hardly seems any wear on it at all.

My best friend has an Amby. I love her amby too. Although it is MUCH bigger and heavier than my happyhangup my DS still loves to nap in it. It is very well made too. Although heavy it is very easy to set up or pack away. My ds hates his packandplay and my DF has offered to lend me her Amby for a travel bed for a road trip in July. Yea!

I wished I had bought one of these when DS was born instead of a cradle swing. DS loved his cradle swing but he grew out of it so fast and the motors don't seem to last that long. Besides who knows how many batteries I killed in that swing.

So, if you have to hang it from an eye bolt how is it portable? Do I need to put an eye bolt in every room? I do like the LOOK of the happy hangup better than the Amby

Advertisement

nikkiof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
mom2riley's Avatar
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: We finally found the beach again!!!!
Posts: 4,573
My Mood:
Re: Tell Me About Baby Hammocks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiof5 View Post
So, if you have to hang it from an eye bolt how is it portable? Do I need to put an eye bolt in every room? I do like the LOOK of the happy hangup better than the Amby
I looks like it has a portable base thing also. Look at this pic http://www.happyhangup.com/purple%20hammock.jpg
__________________
Tonya Committed to my Soul Mate Brian and Proud Mommy To
Riley '04
Irelyn '06,
Leilani '10
mom2riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #13
susansabrina's Avatar
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,793
My Mood:
Re: Tell Me About Baby Hammocks....

You can buy a stand for the happyhangup like the Amby stand to make it truly portable. I put the eye bolt in the ceiling to hang a sky chair in for me to rock ds before I knew about baby hammocks. I love that the eye bolt will: hold an adult without problem, was super easy to install (make sure it is in a beam for support), cost about $1.50, I can put one in several rooms, I don't have to haul a heavy frame around, I don't have to store a frame, I don't have to worry about ds tipping a frame over, I can hang a baby up out of reach of a toddler, & I can vacuum easily under it becuase I have free floor space.
__________________
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume

Last edited by susansabrina; 06-14-2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: update
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:28 PM   #14
nikkiof5's Avatar
nikkiof5
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,835
My Mood:
Re: Tell Me About Baby Hammocks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by susansabrina View Post
You can buy a stand for the happyhangup like the Amby stand to make it truly portable. I put the eye bolt in the ceiling to hang a sky chair in for me to rock ds before I knew about baby hammocks. I love that the eye bolt will: hold an adult without problem, was super easy to install (make sure it is in a beam for support), cost about $1.50, I can put one in several rooms, I don't have to haul a heavy frame around, I don't have to store a frame, I don't have to worry about ds tipping a frame over, I can hang a baby up out of reach of a toddler, & I can vacuum easily under it becuase I have free floor space.
I love the idea. We have a vaulted ceiling in my family room. How do I find a beam there? Do you just screw an eye bolt into the beam? It'll hold?
nikkiof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #15
nikkiof5's Avatar
nikkiof5
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,835
My Mood:
Re: Tell Me About Baby Hammocks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2riley View Post
I looks like it has a portable base thing also. Look at this pic http://www.happyhangup.com/purple%20hammock.jpg
Thanks Tonya. I did see that. I guess that is what I liked about the looks of the Happy Hangup better than the Amby. No stand.
nikkiof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #16
susansabrina's Avatar
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,793
My Mood:
Re: Tell Me About Baby Hammocks....

You can use the Amby without a stand too. To find a stud in the ceiling you will need a ladder, stud finder, and a pencil. Put up the ladder so you can reach where you would like to put the bolt then start searching with the stud finder for a stud. When you find one you want to use take the stud finder and mark the edges so you can put the bolt in the middle of it. The easiest way to do that is to take the stud finder sweeping from the left and mark an endge then sweep in from the right and mark that edge. Now if your ceiling is really high take a measuring tape or a piece of string and measure down from the ceiling to a comfortable hanging height. This will be the length of chain you should get to make your hammock easy to access. Now its time to go to the store. Get a closed eye bolt (so the chain can't possibly slip off) with a 250-300 lbs weight rating (note the diameter so you can get a matching drill bit), a large metal washer to fit over the bolt, a piece of chain with the same rating (they should be available in silver, gold, maybe even white), 2 carobeaners or screw closed c hooks with the same weight rating (make sure they will fit over the eye bolt and close securely), and a drill bit to match the diameter of the bolt. Finally go home and drill a hole in the ceiling where you marked the center of the stud. If you miss try again and fill the hole with some drywall putty. If everything works right put the washer on the bolt then start screwing in the bolt. It will be easier to screw in with a large screw driver stuck in the eye of the bolt for leverage. Once it is in tight, but not denting the ceiling in, hook the chain to the bolt with the c hook or carobeaner. Finished! Yea! I know it sounds like a lot of work but it really is not and it is worth it.
__________________
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #17
churchofdisco's Avatar
churchofdisco
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ft bragg, nc
Posts: 34
Re: Tell Me About Baby Hammocks....

you can get a used one for a lot cheaper than new on ebay, but even brand new i don't think they are really that expensive, expensive to drop that much without any planning maybe, but it wouldn't be that hard to save up $250-$300 over 2-4 months while you were pregnant if it was something you decided you wanted. plus when you are done with it you can make about half your money back. just like with cloth diapers.

i don't have any personal experience but we sure as heck are getting one for the next baby. i have no problems splurging on something that will help my baby sleep for longer stretches at night. getting enough sleep can really make SO much of a difference as i'm sure any mom could tell you. i feel like it's an investment in the quality of sleep for mom then it benefits the entire family. lol.
churchofdisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #18
nikkiof5's Avatar
nikkiof5
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,835
My Mood:
Re: Tell Me About Baby Hammocks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by susansabrina View Post
You can use the Amby without a stand too. To find a stud in the ceiling you will need a ladder, stud finder, and a pencil. Put up the ladder so you can reach where you would like to put the bolt then start searching with the stud finder for a stud. When you find one you want to use take the stud finder and mark the edges so you can put the bolt in the middle of it. The easiest way to do that is to take the stud finder sweeping from the left and mark an endge then sweep in from the right and mark that edge. Now if your ceiling is really high take a measuring tape or a piece of string and measure down from the ceiling to a comfortable hanging height. This will be the length of chain you should get to make your hammock easy to access. Now its time to go to the store. Get a closed eye bolt (so the chain can't possibly slip off) with a 250-300 lbs weight rating (note the diameter so you can get a matching drill bit), a large metal washer to fit over the bolt, a piece of chain with the same rating (they should be available in silver, gold, maybe even white), 2 carobeaners or screw closed c hooks with the same weight rating (make sure they will fit over the eye bolt and close securely), and a drill bit to match the diameter of the bolt. Finally go home and drill a hole in the ceiling where you marked the center of the stud. If you miss try again and fill the hole with some drywall putty. If everything works right put the washer on the bolt then start screwing in the bolt. It will be easier to screw in with a large screw driver stuck in the eye of the bolt for leverage. Once it is in tight, but not denting the ceiling in, hook the chain to the bolt with the c hook or carobeaner. Finished! Yea! I know it sounds like a lot of work but it really is not and it is worth it.

Thanks! Im so gonna get one! Now, if anyone has one to sell, Im needing one!
nikkiof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #19
nikkiof5's Avatar
nikkiof5
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,835
My Mood:
Re: Tell Me About Baby Hammocks....

Anyone have any more info?
nikkiof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:02 AM   #20
autumnlily's Avatar
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,087
My Mood:
Re: Tell Me About Baby Hammocks....

I bought my Amby off of craigslist.

We used it off and on for 6 months. If you want to have a hands-on look at it or see it so you can figure out how to create a setup to have it hang without the stand...you are more than welcome to check mine out.

I'm hoping to get to use mine next summer - but would definitely let you "play" with mine to see if it is an investment you want to make.
__________________
Mama to Lucy 12/01/05 & twins Etta & Grace 04/01/08.
Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician since 2009
autumnlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.