Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Allergic Reaction- HELP!

(**I accidentally posted this in the diaper chatter forum and didn't get much help- so I moved it here- hope that's ok.)

Please help me figure out what my ds is reacting to. He has these awful blistery looking bumps that start out puffing up then turn red and get itchy.

He first got them on his hips and butt where the elastic of his night trainer hit. It thought it was an FOE reaction. Then I switched to sposies pull ups because I only had the one night trainer. He had a really bad reaction that night too. Then I thought maybe it was a latex allergy (elastic in the trainer and pull-ups.) So I went to Wholefoods and bought latex free, dye free, fragrance free sposie pull-ups and he had the worst reaction yet!

So- even though it was all around his underwear area and he was only wearing sposies pull-ups at night, the next thing I suspected was detergent. Only because I had no other ideas! And I had recently changed detergents. So yesterday I went out and bought some All Free and Clear and I am washing all of his clothes in that just to be on the safe side. Do you think I need to run them thru multiple rinses to get all of the residue of the old detergent off the clothes?

But- he also is wearing wool shorties over his trainer every night. So it could be a wool allergy. And he is wearing Gerber cotton trainers all day and some of those I dyed. So maybe it is the dye.

Help! What kinds of things have you heard of kids having allergic rashes from?

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Allergic Reaction- HELP!

If the rash popped up right after the change in detergent or soon after I would say it is that. If the trainer or pull ups were being used okay before that. If it is all new I don't know what to say. Eliminate one thing at a time I guess.
Good luck!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It could be eczema. My daughter gets red blistery bumps along her thigh area where the diaper ends. If untreated, it can continue to get worse.

So...it might not be an allergic reaction at all. To treat eczema, use a dab of hydrocortizole cream twice a day on the area and all other times moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

If it starts to get better within a day or two, that was your culprit. My dd didn't get this until she was 6 months old, and it ocassionally flairs up.

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately it all started around the same time. He started potty learning right around the time I got a new detergent. That was when we tried a trainer with FOE and sposie pull ups and got wool for nights and dyed the cotton trainers. Argh.

I guess I am going to run all of his clothes thru a couple more rinses and eliminate using the sposie pullups and wool at night and the dyed trainers during the day. I just got some pocket night trainers that are microfleece and PUL- just like his dipes were. So I will use those for now and hopefully I can get it to clear up. Then try the dyed trainers again. I'll keep the natural sposies for emergencies and just stop the wool. He doesn't pee as much at night now that he is potty trained during the day.

Ugh- this sucks. I hate to see my baby all splotchy and not know what is doing it.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

first give him some benadryl to help the reaction go away, i would also bathe him
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've bathed him quite a few times since the first outbreak. I don't have any Benadryl though. I may try to get an appt with my naturopath.