Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
2N_MyArms_1N_TheOven
Registered Users

My Mood:
Mommies who vax-did you get the chicken pox vax?

This is my first post on the parenting board, but I have been on the pg board awhile
I do vax my kids but the CP vax wasn't offered when my oldest was a baby. Blake is 17 months but behind on his shots bc he was sick for when a few of the series were scheduled. My dr has never been pushy on those kind of things but the last 2 apts we didn't see the dr we saw the nurse practioner in the office and she is much more "medical" (example at 15 months my son was pretty much weaned from the bottle but I brought it to his apt bc he was due for shots and I wanted something to comfort him. She made a big deal about it whereas the dr has never said a word, she doesn't realize I dont even start my kids on a bottle until they are 12 months bc until then I nurse them. I figure the transition from the boob to the bottle is easier than the trasistion to a cup) I didn't feel like i could talk to her and get an unbiased opinion. I take my kids to a family dr, not a ped so they don't even offer it there I have to go to the health dept to get it done so i do have time to research the matter at least. There is so much conflicting info on the web that i don't know what to trust so I am curious as to what other mom's did? The CP vaccine is one that I have heard a lot of mixed things about so I am unsure as to what to do...if you do vax but declined the CP vax how come?

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

Re: Mommies who vax-did you get the chicken pox vax?

Well I got if for dd1. She got very very irritable and got red bumps on her chest and back. It cleared up in about a week. Nothing major but she was still not a happy child. I am still undecided what I am going to do for dd2.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We got it for our DD, DS isn't old enough to get it I think. We only got it for DD because Chicken pox here is soooo rare and I didn't want Liv to get it when she's older and have a really bad case...I had them and would have rather her had them too..
Old 06-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

I didn't get it for DD, and I won't unless she reaches school age, we send her to public school, AND she hasn't had CP. Even then, I might get a religious exemption. Had I done more research sooner, I probably would have declined or delayed a few of the other vaxes as well.

Why? Well, CP is a nuisance, not fatal except in a few extremely rare cases. I believe that natural immunity is stronger than artificial immunity, and everything I've read suggests that the CP vax is not very effective. Plus, DD was already getting 2 other shots the day it was offered. That was plenty for one day. My DD's family doctor, and the PA that I see are very strongly in favor of getting the CP vax, and both tried to argue with me about it. I still didn't do it. I respect their opinions because they are both parents of small children as well as healers, but they aren't the parents of my child. The CP vax just didn't make sense to me.

Whatever you decide, do your homework first, and stick to your guns. Remember if a doc or nurse is pressuring you to do something that you're not comfortable with, all you have to do is get up and leave.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The CP vaccines wears off and they are now suggesting it for other ages, I think Kindergarten is one (maybe?) and then around 10 years old. Not both, but one or the other depending on when your child's last shot was. I'd wait until middle school. That way your LO might catch it in elementry and be better off all together!

Our friends did vax against it and her 3 year old Levi ended up with Shingles! He gave his 1 year old sister Faith CP. Their mom said the Shingles were horrid. They gave Levi nerve damage on his arm, he's 6 not and it's completely recovered, but it took about 2 years. With Faith, she got CP, was better in a week and that was it.

Jack's had CP already, got it at 12.5 months. He might get it again though because it was a really light case. We don't vax for the most part (at most he'll get 3 vaccines and those will more than likely wait until middle/high school). We were going to see if he got it in elementary or middle school and if not, we'd consider the vaccine as he got older. But, of course, we were fairly certain he'd get it naturally by then.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
snookler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

W have been on-schedule with all vax except Chicken Pox and MMR. Since DH and I, along with nearly everyone I know, have all had CP without any adverse reactions other than the standard bumps and fever, It seemed safer to go without it than to test the unknown.
Just didn't feel comfortable with the MMR,
Old 06-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
eirbjorn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did delayed vax with DD, but by the time the varicella was "due" we had begun doing some vaccinations. I declined the chicken pox vaccine because there just wasn't enough information yet for me to make an informed decision, and I felt the risk of not knowing was greater than the risks I knew about chicken pox itself.
When she was 2 (?, maybe 3) she got chicken pox, I have no clue where, since she was never around anyone who had it, lol. My sister commented on how my DD's chicken pox was more mild than all three of her DDs' reaction to the vaccine
DS did have the vaccine because at the time I didn't know what I was doing and just went along with it all. He didn't have a reaction or anything with it. I will not be doing it with my next, either. The jury is just still out on its long-term effectiveness. If he gets older and doesn't get chicken pox, however, I might change my mind.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

CP vax is the one that I outright declined for my daughter. I lucked out because the doctor I had taken her to was in agreement with me that the vax hasn't been around long enough for all side effects to be known, or to know if it will even work as it's suppose to in the long run. I'd rather have my daughter get the chicken pox as a kid than have a vax and wind up with chicken pox as an adult when it can be deadly.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

o thknk my son got one of the chicken pox vax , never had the flu shot

Last edited by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox; 06-13-2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: eta~ it was the flu shot not chicken pox vax..hehe
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're delaying (probably stopping) any further vaxes. We dicussed this one with our pedi and she agreed that it would be better if DS got natural immunity to it, and if he hadn't had CP by 10yo, we would vax him then.