Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
misifer
Registered Users

Re: Mommies who vax-did you get the chicken pox vax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrferr View Post
CP vax is the one that I outright declined for my daughter. I lucked out because the doctor I had taken her to was in agreement with me that the vax hasn't been around long enough for all side effects to be known, or to know if it will even work as it's suppose to in the long run. I'd rather have my daughter get the chicken pox as a kid than have a vax and wind up with chicken pox as an adult when it can be deadly.

Exactly my thoughts. I have declined the CP vax and I will re-evaluate if my daughter is older and hasn't gotten them yet. Since you need a booster and it's more of a risk to get CP when you are older I decided to wait and hope she gets them naturally before she's 10 or so.

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:

We vax but we do not do the flu shot OR the chicken pox.
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #13
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We delay Vax on Chicken Pox mainly because a lot of the research out there was up in the air about what age it should be given at to be most effective, so we do wait until they are older and do not do it on schedule, the doctor was in agreement with me on delaying that one, and the WIC office was shocked that we delayed, however after I discussed the findings from respected medical journals, they don't question anything I do anymore.... unfortunately they are now requiring 2 doses by kindergarten here in Colorado, which made me a bit upset.

And, we always do the flu shot because I have 2 children in the extreme high risk group that if they caught the flu they would most likely be hospitalized for quite a while. DH is the only one that doesn't routinely do the flu shot, but that is because he isn't there with us when we go in to get it. And, he works 99% of the time by himself without others around so he has less of a chance of catching it than we do being at the school/ grocery store/ drs office etc all of the time.
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #14
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did not get it for my DD (now 5) and she got the CP at age 4.5. Had a very mild case and gave it to her little brother who was 14 months old at the time. He did well with it too. My 2 oldest were vaccinated and really exposed multiple times-neither of them got it but I hope the exposure improved their immunity to it. I will not give either of the older two any boosters.
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #15
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

We didn't vax for CP because: To get CP isn't a big deal IMO, the vaccine isn't very effective (many of the reported cases of CP here are in kids who have had the vaccine) anyway, and it wears off.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #16
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We didn't, our plan was for him to get the cp vax if he didn't get it on his own by age 10. HOWEVER, that was before we found out about the tendency towards shingles on DH's side of the family (it is HORRIBLE!), so we will probably get it at his next appointment.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #17
baconbitz
Registered Users

I did for son #1, but didn't for son #2. I changed my decision after researching it further (and a few things popped up after a few years of use that weren't well known before.)
Old 06-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #18
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
snip

Our friends did vax against it and her 3 year old Levi ended up with Shingles! He gave his 1 year old sister Faith CP. Their mom said the Shingles were horrid. They gave Levi nerve damage on his arm, he's 6 not and it's completely recovered, but it took about 2 years. With Faith, she got CP, was better in a week and that was it.

snip

Where did he have shingles??

DH had shingles (On the inside of his leg. OUCH!) last September and DS still didn't get CP, nor did he when one of his classmates got it. Of course, we were still bfing at the time and I had a very mild case when I was a wee child... In DH's family shingles tend to be VERY bad, which is why I was contemplating reversing my decision on that particular vax but if he could end up with shingles anyway... then what would be the point.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #19
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds is 2 and we do all/most vaxes, we have NOT got the chickenpox vax yet, and I will push it off until hes school age. I have told my dr no a few times now and he didnt even mention it at his 2yr appt
Old 06-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #20
curious_george
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2hamish
seller

yeah... Hamish was vaxed for everything. Don't flame me please, I've done the research and I am not convinced "not vaxing" is a good thing for us. He had no issues after any of his vaccinatons, has not had any of the things vaxed agianst. Both my sister and I had horrible CP when we were older (I was 13 and she was 21) and my mom has had shingles twice on her spine (back) She is immuno-suppressed and I can not risk for Hamish to bring something that some ppl are saying is "minor" into our home. Likewise we get the flu shot each year. Both of us are teachers and encounter waaaaay too many bugs as it is.

I feel like I just climbed out of the closet for saying this but, I did vax H. and I would again were we to have another one.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. -- Sir Francis Bacon
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote