Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #21
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mommies who vax-did you get the chicken pox vax?

My older 2 are selective/delayed vax. They are all caught up now except for varicella.

I will not give them the cp shot unless they are 11 and have not had the virus already. If they have not, then we will vax. They are currently 7 and 8.

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #22
Mom2Gray
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecat1974 View Post
We didn't, our plan was for him to get the cp vax if he didn't get it on his own by age 10. HOWEVER, that was before we found out about the tendency towards shingles on DH's side of the family (it is HORRIBLE!), so we will probably get it at his next appointment.
I'm not sure how common it is, but I know a family whose kids (all 3!) got shingles from the CP vax. She wasn't even told that was a possible side effect!
Mom2Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #23
mommaliberal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My older three all had the vax with no ill effects. (knock on wood)
Old 06-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #24
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

My oldest got it because it was just easier for us for her to get it (dual military meaning she was in child care an awful lot and it was just easier to avoid the hassle of paperwork and pushy people)... not to mention I wasn't in the mindset to look further into vaxes. My second got it after much deliberation. Our third did NOT get it because we've finally decided it's just not worth it. Like a few others, if she hasn't gotten it by a certain age, I may decide for her to get it. Until then, I hope nature takes its course. This next one will be on a delayed vax schedule that will not include Varicella.

I think I'd be much more open to it if it wasn't made with aborted fetal cells though.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #25
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecat1974 View Post

Where did he have shingles??

DH had shingles (On the inside of his leg. OUCH!) last September and DS still didn't get CP, nor did he when one of his classmates got it. Of course, we were still bfing at the time and I had a very mild case when I was a wee child... In DH's family shingles tend to be VERY bad, which is why I was contemplating reversing my decision on that particular vax but if he could end up with shingles anyway... then what would be the point.
Somewhere on his arm. That's where the nerve damage was. I'd have to ask her again, but I think it was like on his left arm, between his elbow and wrist.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:07 PM   #26
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2hamish View Post
yeah... Hamish was vaxed for everything. Don't flame me please, I've done the research and I am not convinced "not vaxing" is a good thing for us. He had no issues after any of his vaccinatons, has not had any of the things vaxed agianst. Both my sister and I had horrible CP when we were older (I was 13 and she was 21) and my mom has had shingles twice on her spine (back) She is immuno-suppressed and I can not risk for Hamish to bring something that some ppl are saying is "minor" into our home. Likewise we get the flu shot each year. Both of us are teachers and encounter waaaaay too many bugs as it is.

I feel like I just climbed out of the closet for saying this but, I did vax H. and I would again were we to have another one.
I had my DD vaxed against chicken pox and everything else that was available also, and I will likely get my DS vaxed as well for cp. DS had his 6 month boosters yesterday and I asked about the cp vax, and the nurse told me that it's been around for 30 yrs and they've been following people who've had it and if they see immunity starting to wear off, they will give boosters. Maybe it's a different cp vax than the ones the OPs were talking about?

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:04 PM   #27
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

I got them for my son when his sisters got theirs. We had to pay 20 dollars or something but I thought it would be best to protect them all. I talked to all the girls' doctors about.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:41 AM   #28
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will never vax one of my kids again the the CP vax! And I am very pro vax!
The vax started about 10 years ago and when DD was a year old I was asked to have it done I said no we will not two new ones considering one was MMR. So I delayed it til 15 or 18 mos. I forget I would have to look.
To this day I regret it! And now them finding out they need the boosters. I am sorry but I am sooo scared of my DD getting as an adult now!
I will do my best for future children to get CP and get the immunity that way.
HTH
Old 06-14-2007, 01:44 AM   #29
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife View Post
I think I'd be much more open to it if it wasn't made with aborted fetal cells though.
Did you know that more than just that vax uses them . That was one of the reasons I had for no future children't having the cp vax.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:46 AM   #30
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
I had my DD vaxed against chicken pox and everything else that was available also, and I will likely get my DS vaxed as well for cp. DS had his 6 month boosters yesterday and I asked about the cp vax, and the nurse told me that it's been around for 30 yrs and they've been following people who've had it and if they see immunity starting to wear off, they will give boosters. Maybe it's a different cp vax than the ones the OPs were talking about?

I don't think a CP vax has been around that long. If it had I would have been vaxed against it...trust me!
There are boosters for it to!
Sounds like either the nurse was confused or lied to you on purpose.