Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Evaluation when we are about to move?

My son's preschool teacher has suggested that we get him evaluated for services because he is having behavior problems at school and a lot of trouble adjusting to a social environment.

We are in the house hunting process right now. We are not sure exactly where in the area we are moving to yet, but we hope to be in a new house by the summer. Should we start the eval process now, or will that mess everything up if we move to a different district? We live in ny state if that makes a difference, and if we did end up in a different school district it would be a better one. (I'm not sure how much the quality of the district has an effect on evaluation and services, but we are currently in the worst district in the state outside NYC).

TIA

Advertisement

marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would start the eval immediately. Everyone needs to recognize how to best help your child and implement a plan that assists him in his classroom ASAP. Could a new school recognize & adapt to his needs better - maybe/probably. But why should that stop anyone from taking steps to help him now?
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
I would start the eval immediately. Everyone needs to recognize how to best help your child and implement a plan that assists him in his classroom ASAP. Could a new school recognize & adapt to his needs better - maybe/probably. But why should that stop anyone from taking steps to help him now?
Yup. Start now.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Re: Evaluation when we are about to move?

Start now. Other districts will usually honor plans made or information discovered about your child.

Mama to 5: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and expecting someone new 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Start now, especially if you are looking into formal diagnostic testing which the school district cannot do. Most developmental pediatricians have waiting lists that are months out, and it make take more than one visit before you get a diagnosis.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Celeste View Post
Start now, especially if you are looking into formal diagnostic testing which the school district cannot do. Most developmental pediatricians have waiting lists that are months out, and it make take more than one visit before you get a diagnosis.
It may vary by state. Our school district can't DIAGNOSE, but our diagnosticians, school psychologists, and SLPs often use many of the exact same tests as a private neuropsychological evaluation, and here we are often more thorough than private evaluations. The only thing we don't do is medical stuff other than vision and hearing screenings, like blood work and things.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
elliebeebaby
Registered Users
seller

I agree. Start now. The sooner, the better. My daughter was in pre-school for the past two years on an IEP (individual education plan) for sensory/behavioral and speech. I had a lot of family members who were afraid she would be labeled for life. However, this fall she will enter Kindergarten free of the IEP (with some special assistance when needed for behavioral). That said, school districts can vary greatly. My son qualified for services for speech through our school district at 3yrs. He was seeing a private speech therapist prior to 3. She said he would never have qualified in some of our surrounding districts. So, make sure you do your due diligence if you do move. It can vary much more than I imagined.
elliebeebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
mekat
Registered Users

If he qualifies for an IEP then IEPs are followed by the new school district until they can establish a new IEP. This has been proven true for us in out of state moves as well as moves between schools in the same district.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekat View Post
If he qualifies for an IEP then IEPs are followed by the new school district until they can establish a new IEP. This has been proven true for us in out of state moves as well as moves between schools in the same district.
Yes, an IEP is a federal legal document. It is illegal for a public school not to follow an IEP. If it doesn't match with thier programs for whatever reason they still must follow it until they hold a new one to make any changes. There are some wonky rules about out of state evaluations, here they must meet our initial criteria or we must do testing, but still mist follow the IEP in the meantime.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Start now. Rather than wait for the new school to realize he is having difficulties and do something about it. If he comes in with an IEP he'll get services right away.