Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #111
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:
Re: parents of autistic children

just wanted to post the correct info on that book I reccomended awhile back, here it is:

It's called "Parenting your Asperger Child"

sub title is
"Individualized Solutions for Teaching Your Child Practical Skills"

by Alan Sohn Ed. D. and Cathy Grayson M.A.

this has been a GOD SEND to us. Matter of fact I am re-reading it this week because my ds has taken to manipulating big time to control his environment. It's been really difficult between that and the change from summer break to school the past 2 weeks (never mind that I am in baby having mode right now )

If anyone wants advice, help,...just ask!!
I advocate for my ds through the school system and while I don't know everything, my ds is almost 10 and we are learning right along side him each and every day

Advertisement

beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #112
beautiful8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengmommy View Post
I LOVE this book. Reading it has taught me SO much...including the fact that *I* likely have Asperger's also. Ds just started a sn preschool and is in the process of getting eval'd. They've so far said he *may* qualify for services in social, play, motor, and sensory areas. Eating seems to be our biggest hurdle at this point.
o my gosh isn't that amazing?

my dh and I are the same way, my dh is FAR worse

I tell him all the time his autism is showing (it's in jest obviously, but we both giggle about it because he really truly is in many ways...)
Old 09-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #113
beautiful8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
We have been using the Methyl B12 with Kearnan for closing on a year now. It is amazing!!! Just after his fifth birthday we met with the DAN! DR and started treatments. At the time he was 3yrs behind his peers in speech, and a year to two years in self care, socialization ect. In just 6months with the Methyl B12 he went to only 6 months behind his peers. These days his speech is just about where it should be. IT is true that he tends to be more in the here and now then thinking of other times ect (does that make sense?). You can have a pretty normal convo with him he just doesn't really get the less concrete things. But he can make up stories and tell them and when he plays with toys he uses his imagination and they talk to each other ect. He is mostly understandable when he talks now. Unless he is particularly tired or upset, but he is understandable about as much of the time as other 5-6yr olds. It is amazing. His therapists and everyone who knows him are jsut so impressed with his progress. And he has been doing better in other areas as well, partially because of the other supplements we are doing.

what is this?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #114
apmommatnt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey mamas, I am glad I stumbled across this post...my ds is 15 months now and they are looking at several different spectrums from Global Developmental Delay, to autism...He receives therapies from EI every week (mostly play therapy) and we are on the waiting list for OT/PT. We are at the cusp now where we need to decide wether we want to have an MRI done. I have 1 month to decide when to set the appointment, it is a toughy for me. I don't want to do anything unneccessarily, since he will have to be put under general anesthesia...so, I think we are going to wait until it is a bit more definitive, possibly around 18 months or so.

Has anyone else had the MRI? What are your thoughts, I am really in need of some feedback here. Thanks mamas!

Also, for moms whose sons/daughters did finally get a diagnosis...what are some precursers I should keep my eyes open for? Symptoms and such? Thanks again for all your help!
apmommatnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #115
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well Kearnan had the MRI when he was two. He did not get general anesthesia as I wouldn't allow it. Too many risks to be worth it for an MRI in his case. of course every situation is different and for some kids an MRI may be very important for their health. In Kearnan's case I knew that the chances of learning anything from it were small and not worth the risks of the anesthesia. As it turned out he didnt' need the anesthesia anyway. He had a bunch of tests at the childrens' hospital that day and one of them was a sleep deprivation EEG. So he was up late the night before, up very very early in the morning and not allowed to sleep before the test (which was supposed to happen at 6AM but didn't happen until 8AM because they lost the woman who was supposed to perform it, just one of a dozen things that went wrong that day. ). He had his MRI and ABR schedueled for 10AM. We didnt get there till 11 because of the problems with the EEG. So he hadn't had more than maybe an hour of sleep in the past 12hours, and not enough before that either. I was originally going to let them go ahead and do it, because we were concerned, but then I was told that I wouldn't be able to go with him if he was under general anesthesia, and considering they had already lost an adult employee for two hours I didn't trust them not to lose my son somewhere in that hospital. It turned out not to matter (though I seriously pissed off the anesthesiologist who went as far as calling me a bad parent for not agreeing with her), he fell asleep as soon as the anesthesiologist left so the tech said we shoudl just try it with him asleep. THey put earphones on him playing white noises and left him covered with his fleece blankey and he never even woke up. He made it all the way through the ABR as well. HE didn't wake up till they did the blood work an hour later. So it is possible to do a MRI on a small child without general, but you have to use a few tricks to get it done. I'm glad we did it that way, and it turns out I am glad we did it. The MRI showed evidence of brain damage correlating to the time he had his MMR vaccine. The pedi neuro says that the vaccine caused encephalitis which caused lingering damage and his autism symptoms. OF course in the long run that doesn't matter much. Having that info answers some questions, but it doesn't change his treatments. There is nothing specific that we can do knowing that that we couldnt' have without it, and it wasn't going to do any more damage if we never found out. So totally not worth the risk of anesthesia, but fine under the circumstances we had. The pedi neuro told us going in that he didn't expect to see anything on the MRI at all, but they do them to rule things out more than anything.

I can't really help you with symptoms. With Kearnan it was pretty obvious what was going on. He was normal one day and the next he wasn't. It's noticeable when a child who could speak in full sentences suddenly can't communicate at all and spends all day screaming this unearthly scream. We knew something was not right. But autism is a spectrum and there are so many symptoms, and some of them are normal behaviors that are just extreme in kids on the spectrums, like lots of kids occasionally flap their hands, but for some kids it is constant and a stimmy. Lots of kids spin in circles, but for some kids it is something more. So it's hard to say. Have you looked at some of the websites with the checklists on them? Really though 15months is very young for a spectrum diagnosis. Some of the symptom's necessary to differentiate between a global delay or a spectrum disorder wouldn't be apparent yet at that age.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #116
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful7 View Post
what is this?
Methyl B12 is a vitamin injection. Kearnan is defficient in b12, probably partially because of his very extremely self limited diet, and partially because he just can't process oral b12 properly. B12 is also a methyl donor. In children with autism it allows the veil to lift for lack of a better way to describe it. It helps them open up and understand what they are hearing, and learn from it. Kearnan has made tremendous leaps while on it. But I notice if we miss a week of shots he doesn't backslide as far as his speech goes, but he becomes more easily distractible and has a harder time following directions. Usually he can follow a simple series of directions like "go to your room, get your blue shoes, put them on and come back here." If we miss the shots the directions need to be broken into shorter steps like "go to your room. Get your blue shoes. PUt on your blue shoes. Come bakc to the living room." with him needing to complete each step before the next direction is given. He just can't seem to keep it all together as easily when we forget his shots. But his improvement has been dramatic. We jsut got his speech eval back (we need one each year to keep the insurance paying for his feeding therapy, we put it through as speech and feeing, but we only do the feeding). Last year he was moderate to severly delayed rating 3yrs behind his peers (or in the speech path of a 2-3yr old, he was 5 at the time). His new review was not totally completed because in many areas he never actually hit a ceiling measure, so they were artificially lower than they should have been. He is now listed in the normal to mild delay. He is 6months behind his peers putting him in the 5-7yr old speech range and he is 6yrs old. His biggest problem is with pronunciation of certain sounds, his vocabulary is actually more like a 9yr olds. He also is struggling with putting the ed at the end of past tenses, but that is it. Other wise his speech is normal for a boy of his age. That is tremendous improvements without the benefit of speech therapy. He is also doing much better at self care and social interaction, some from the b12 shots and some from therapy and other supplements.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:52 PM   #117
beautiful8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Methyl B12 is a vitamin injection. Kearnan is defficient in b12, probably partially because of his very extremely self limited diet, and partially because he just can't process oral b12 properly. B12 is also a methyl donor. In children with autism it allows the veil to lift for lack of a better way to describe it. It helps them open up and understand what they are hearing, and learn from it. Kearnan has made tremendous leaps while on it. But I notice if we miss a week of shots he doesn't backslide as far as his speech goes, but he becomes more easily distractible and has a harder time following directions. Usually he can follow a simple series of directions like "go to your room, get your blue shoes, put them on and come back here." If we miss the shots the directions need to be broken into shorter steps like "go to your room. Get your blue shoes. PUt on your blue shoes. Come bakc to the living room." with him needing to complete each step before the next direction is given. He just can't seem to keep it all together as easily when we forget his shots. But his improvement has been dramatic. We jsut got his speech eval back (we need one each year to keep the insurance paying for his feeding therapy, we put it through as speech and feeing, but we only do the feeding). Last year he was moderate to severly delayed rating 3yrs behind his peers (or in the speech path of a 2-3yr old, he was 5 at the time). His new review was not totally completed because in many areas he never actually hit a ceiling measure, so they were artificially lower than they should have been. He is now listed in the normal to mild delay. He is 6months behind his peers putting him in the 5-7yr old speech range and he is 6yrs old. His biggest problem is with pronunciation of certain sounds, his vocabulary is actually more like a 9yr olds. He also is struggling with putting the ed at the end of past tenses, but that is it. Other wise his speech is normal for a boy of his age. That is tremendous improvements without the benefit of speech therapy. He is also doing much better at self care and social interaction, some from the b12 shots and some from therapy and other supplements.

well, can you get this vitamin from certain foods?

I just signed on to becomea juice plus distributor...and my ds is one of the next ones to start taking it. I know it has pretty much all you need in there, I am assuming that the b12 is in there too....

btw, in case you have never heard of juice plus, it is supposed to reprogram their metabolism's making them want to eat the foods they otherwise reject. At least thats what I have heard...
Old 10-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #118
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful7 View Post
well, can you get this vitamin from certain foods?

I just signed on to becomea juice plus distributor...and my ds is one of the next ones to start taking it. I know it has pretty much all you need in there, I am assuming that the b12 is in there too....

btw, in case you have never heard of juice plus, it is supposed to reprogram their metabolism's making them want to eat the foods they otherwise reject. At least thats what I have heard...
Normal people can get it from foods, and even people who are defficent can usually get it in a vitamin or sublingual dose. But some people cannot absorb b12 orally. This seems to be a problem for Kearnan. It was explained to me like this. Ideally you would get your B12 from food, that is the optimal source, however if you are not getting enough from food the second best source is the shot, after that is a pill or sublingual. So because he can't get his from food the shot is the best place. And in children with neurological disorders who need the methyl donors it doesn't seem that the food source is enough.

I've never heard of juice plus. I will look at it, but since Kearnan won't accept anything but orange juice to drink I don't know that we can do it. The zinc is supposed to help him be able to actually taste his food, and the B12 makes him more receptive to trying new things. I do think it is helping, he is definately trying alot of new foods in therapy. He is even eating some of the just tomatos fruits at home now so that is a huge step for him.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #119
beautiful8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh it's not something you *eat* it's a capsule that has the equivalnet of 15 fruits and veggies in it that you take ach day...AND they have a gummi version for little kids

They say it can reprogram your metabolism....seriously.

Dr.Sears is a spokesperson for the product. I have been on it for a few months ( I had HORRIBLE m/s with my last baby and it helped me tremendously!!) now as have a few of my ADD & ADHD kids and my autistic son is going on it next...if youwant more info PM me
Old 10-27-2007, 12:03 AM   #120
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

in case your questin wasn't answered about what a DAN! doctor is...

http://autism.about.com/od/alternati...s/f/dandoc.htm

Micah also has a great DAN doctor. She is in Florida, but we live in WA. when we started going to her, it was only about an hours drive. Now we have phone appts and are supposed to fly back once a year. (but it's not necessary). We have had such tremendous success with her and Micahs progrees is steadily gaining. I HIGHLY recommend looking into finding one.

Tags
autism, potty training