Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #121
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: parents of autistic children

Hello ladies,

I didn't see this group until after I posted on the general parenting forum. My GP and the ENT are both concerned that my 20 month old may have autism. We are getting tubes put in Friday to help with his hearing. However, Benji still has some signs
doesn't point at anything
doesn't bring me stuff
is oblvious to all other kids (except his brother some times)
doesn't follow any directions
hasn't caught onto any signs or made up any of his own

About the only thing he did do that they asked was he plays peek-a-boo.

Any advice, things to watch for. I saw the reference for the asperger's book would that be good for me as well, any other suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #122
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haven't read all pp ...

Today Show just had a segment on Autism today. Specifically, "diagnosing" or intervening at a younger age (before a year even) which I thought was great. They had the founder of Autism Speaks and a couple other guests.

FYI if anyone wanted to visit the todayshow site to see what info they had.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:10 AM   #123
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
Hello ladies,

I didn't see this group until after I posted on the general parenting forum. My GP and the ENT are both concerned that my 20 month old may have autism. We are getting tubes put in Friday to help with his hearing. However, Benji still has some signs
doesn't point at anything
doesn't bring me stuff
is oblvious to all other kids (except his brother some times)
doesn't follow any directions
hasn't caught onto any signs or made up any of his own

About the only thing he did do that they asked was he plays peek-a-boo.

Any advice, things to watch for. I saw the reference for the asperger's book would that be good for me as well, any other suggestions?
some "red flags" would be at

9 months, not babbling
12 months, not pointing to things
18 months, not responding to "look!"
18 months, no imaginary play

LMK if you need more info... Here is some great websites that might help you out:

http://www.autismspeaks.org
http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/index.php
http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer
Old 10-31-2007, 01:24 PM   #124
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for those sites. I onlyl knew of the autismspeaks one. Benji does babble a tiny bit, and did at 9 months but doesn't do any of the other things. Thanks so much
Old 11-02-2007, 01:20 AM   #125
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Thanks for those sites. I onlyl knew of the autismspeaks one. Benji does babble a tiny bit, and did at 9 months but doesn't do any of the other things. Thanks so much
Old 11-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #126
SoCalMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

WOW!!! Hi everyone. I wanted to say hello and add a little "About Us".
My son is 27 months now. From the time he was 3 weeks old, I *knew* there was something just not right. He had this intensity that I always felt was just wrong. It just progressed and progressed. Everything else seemed to be on track except his speech. And he had no emotional self-control, it seemed. Along with no self-soothing techniques.

One dr. lead me to another to another to another....none of which were conventional doctors. The pediatrician dismissed me at every turn. I ended up with an appointment at For OC Kids for an evaluation. I was given the diagnosis of autism: "He's low on the spectrum, but not the lowest". I was devastated. I honestly wasn't expecting it. I knew there was something, but I have no idea what I was expecting.

BTW - I was around 32 weeks pg at the time! And I was alone when the dr. told me. It was surreal.

Luckily, we live in a state that has the Regional Center. So we got hooked up with services with the next several weeks. A tutor comes to the house 2 hours M-F and works with him. At first it was difficult to listen to him screaming and protesting, but I knew it was best (and I was also relieved to have someone else having to deal with his screaming for a bit).

I was also inspired by Jenny McCarthy's appearance on Oprah and immediatley started Kage on teh GF/CF diet. It has definintely been a great thing. I also did a homeopathic yeast detox. That was a rough few weeks, but it was really great.

I've gone a step deeper and he is now on the SCD diet. And I see improvements in his speech all the time.

We are preparing to move to Prescott Valley, AZ. Does anyone have any idea where I would pursue services in that state? I can't seem to get the Regional Center to answer any of my questions or help me out.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #127
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does anyone know of any sites that talk about autism and the best visitation arrangements? I am in the middle of deciding upon custody arrangements and want to do what would be best for our children.

TIA
Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #128
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Does anyone know of any sites that talk about autism and the best visitation arrangements? I am in the middle of deciding upon custody arrangements and want to do what would be best for our children.

TIA
I can tell ya what doesn't work. Split visitation, in fact, I am beginning to believe that any sort of extended (more than 3 days) visits could be bad. Dd is 10, we got our dx AS about 4 years ago and I have never been able to hash out a good visitation arrangement with her dad. She completely regresses after beimg there and it takes awhile to get everything back online.

I just wanted to shine a littel ray of hope at everyone. My dd was given an AS dx 4 years ago and we had some real hard times after that. The school wouldn't do what I was asking for and they tried to change her dx to all sorts of inaccurate things. She was failing everything, homework was a nightmare and she was never to class on time. She was in a special day class and basically forgotten about by the school. Not even allowed to have lunch with other kids. Then we switched schools, got a one on one aid for the class, and viola!! She has all B's and everything else is falling into place. She doesn't actively seek out friends, she is content to just talking to other kids. But she is actually happy about school and wants to be there. Things are really looking up for her. So there is hope and it will get better.

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #129
apmommatnt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

UPDATE : Since I last posted, we have the referral (damn HMO's) to see a Developmental Ped, they pushed us through to be seen on the 15th since we decided to go forth with the MRI...Tristan has an appointment on the 18th of this month. I am still feeling both apprehension and anticipation. Since he is showing signs of "possible" absence seizures, concerned with his pituatary, they prompted us to schedule the MRI. I am not sure what we will gain from this procedure, but, I hope whatever it is, it is helpful. Tristan goes back and forth..some days are better than others (as even with an atypical child) so, it is hard to be concrete on a diagnosis. He is not yet 18 months, so, they are waiting to give any type of diagnosis till he progresses, or doesn't. Lets see...here is what he is doing:

PROS

Still a smiling fool - doesn't really laugh, but will reciprocate smiles!
Playing peek a boo (YES!)
Kinda pointing...he points to his tray when he wants more food LOL
Signing "All Done" and saying "Ahh daaa" (when prompted)
Says MAMA- DADA- JUJU (for juice)
Walking (badly - he falls a lot and prefers crawling still) but walking
His pincer grasp has FINALLY started to show, so for now, no more raking food.

CONS

He is MAJORLY sensory seeking (oral input) he sticks EVERYTHING in his mouth
Stimming...where do I start. He sways back and forth ALL the time, especially when watching TV. I try to get through to him sometimes "Tristan, honey, come here bubbub" and it's like he is somewhere else. He arches his back...does or has anyone else kiddos done this? I have tried to research it but nothing comes up. Carts, he arches, head back in carts. Chairs, etc. I think it may be SID...When laying on his back, he will arch up, kick his legs and tilt his head back..he has done this from a very young age. He will play with toys that sing and repeat them over and over and over. He puts things up to his ear and down, up to his ear, and down. He has JUST started visual stimming, staring closely (like touching with his eyes) a toy that lights up. WOW..there is more too.

If everyone can just keep us in their thoughts for his test. He will be under general, so I am a bit nervous about that. Thanks so much. And, chime in, it's nice to know that there are others out there.
~Jenn
Old 01-10-2008, 11:52 PM   #130
Dire Wolf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hello, my name is Temma, and my 10 yo dd Dori has Asperger's Syndrome. We got our dx when she was almost 7 so you are way earlier in the game than we were. Now the difference with AS vs. ASD is verbal language skills. Dori has always spoken very well. She just doesn't get the whole social thing. So the talking issues that everyone is talking about are foreign to me. However, the pp's comments about toys does sound very familiar to me. In fact, Dori still does this to her little light up keyboard. Dori doesn't arch her back in chairs but I can always tell when her clothing is bothering her, she hand flaps. There are some great group forums out there where there are people that have probably been through or are going through the same steps you are. Go to Yahoo groups and look there, I have signed up with 2 groups there. O.A.S.I.S. is another place that may have more help for you. That stands for Online Asperger's Syndrome Information Site. Sorry I don't have more, but I hth! And my thought s will be with you and your son.

Wife to Karl, mother in our blended home.
Ask me about the Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autism, potty training