Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #201
mommomoftwins
Registered Users

Re: parents of autistic children

I was so surprised to see this forum since I just came here to look at diapers, but what a wonderful surprise.

I have 4-year-old twins (boy/girl) and expecting our next baby boy in December. My sweet boy was diagnosed with PDD in May 2009. I had known something was "off" for quite a while, but my pedi and most of my family was quite insistant that everything was fine so I tried to let it go. That of course didn't happen and I started researching on my computer for hours and hours every night after everyone was sleeping. I had pretty much diagnosed him myself before we ever got the ball rolling for evaluations. I had to fight with my pedi for the recomendation (we've of course changed pedi's since then), but I won and we got an appointment.
We took him to a DAN dr before his diagnosis and started on the GFCF diet then. We removed soy first to do a test (don't remember which now) and within the first week he went from saying a 4 word sentence at the VERY most to saying an 8 word sentence. Talk about one happy, believing, converted mama. When his allergy tests came back he was allergic to every.single.thing they tested him for. We've removed all the 3-6's and get to have him tested again soon to see if anything can be added back in. He does have speech and ot and has been making some remarkable strides. His pre-k teacher says she doesn't think he'll have to be in the autism class for kindergarten next year.
Sorry that seems so rambled. We still have a long way to go, but the journey seems to be getting shorter and shorter. And for that my family is truly blessed and thankful!!

Advertisement

mommomoftwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #202
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Where would I find an emotions board?
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #203
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know for sure. This thread is pretty dead anymore, you could ask under special needs
Old 01-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #204
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

Hi, I'm brand new here. I'd just like to say I have a teenager with autism. He's 13 and its pretty high functioning. I've been through it all I swear! We are now urged by the psychiatrist to give 3000 mg of fish oil....studies show this can help a lot....will let you know if we notice any changes.
Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #205
JasonsMama1
Registered Users

Hello everyone. I just felt I had to comment. My son is now 4. He was dianosed on the Autism Spectrum last year, and he is also profoundly deaf, in both ears. It has been such a struggle for us, as new, young, first time parents to deal with this. You never think it's going to be your child, you thinnk this could never happen to me. And, when it does, it's devastating. We are having to many problems with speech, and communication and potty training. He's 4 and has no words. he signs only when he wants to and we've taken the total communication approach and nothing seems to be catching on. I think the deafness would be one thing, and then the Autism on top of it really, really interferes with the communication aspect. If anyone has any tips or helpful tricks that would help us out we are open to just about anything at this point. We did speech therapy, and OT and Aural Rehab for the past 2 years and I've seen no advancements. I don't understand what the point it. Thanks!

~Mother In Need!
JasonsMama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #206
turtlebutterfly
Registered Users

my 9.5 yr old daughter has autism
turtlebutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #207
BebeMaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsMama1 View Post
Hello everyone. I just felt I had to comment. My son is now 4. He was dianosed on the Autism Spectrum last year, and he is also profoundly deaf, in both ears. It has been such a struggle for us, as new, young, first time parents to deal with this. You never think it's going to be your child, you thinnk this could never happen to me. And, when it does, it's devastating. We are having to many problems with speech, and communication and potty training. He's 4 and has no words. he signs only when he wants to and we've taken the total communication approach and nothing seems to be catching on. I think the deafness would be one thing, and then the Autism on top of it really, really interferes with the communication aspect. If anyone has any tips or helpful tricks that would help us out we are open to just about anything at this point. We did speech therapy, and OT and Aural Rehab for the past 2 years and I've seen no advancements. I don't understand what the point it. Thanks!

~Mother In Need!
Hugs to you Mama! My dd is 6 and has Autism. I'd totally recommend keeping up with the therapy, especially if your ds seems to enjoy it at all. Is he also in ABA? (Behavioral Therapy?) That's where our dd made her greatest advancements! I'd talk to your doc about it, or ask the school.
BebeMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #208
Alorasmom
Registered Users
seller

When our son was diagnosed with Asperger's we had some genetic testing done and found out he can't excrete heavy metals such as lead, mercury etc. We started chelation with him and he went from verbal but repeating everything to being able to actually being able to answer questions and you can have a conversation with him now. I know it is a hot topic but if anyone has any questions i might be able to answer them.
Alorasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #209
naynaygoesrawr
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Does anyone else's lo try to sneak outside and succeed? What tips can you give me? My 4 year old knows how to pick locks from the outside and can get almost anything open. Im scared for his safety o.- and im at my wits end.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #210
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naynaygoesrawr View Post
Does anyone else's lo try to sneak outside and succeed? What tips can you give me? My 4 year old knows how to pick locks from the outside and can get almost anything open. Im scared for his safety o.- and im at my wits end.
There are alarms you can use, anything from super simple that just go off when you open the door to more complex. I am assuming he is too clever for things like sliding locks to be effective. An alarm probably won't keep him in but it will alert you that he has escaped. I was an escape artist as a toddler and gave my mom fits, especially when I almost drown myself in the lock behind our house.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

If he has sensory sensitivities the noise of the right alarm may be enough to deter him, or maybe not but at least it gives you notice. Wish I could be more help.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autism, potty training