Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #21
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Re: parents of autistic children

davis is only apraxic (well what i know) but its like a little bird it drives me nuts. if its junk food he will eat it no problem
the only things he eats are fries, hotdogs and pasta. idont know how he doenst have anemia (i test him for that) . he only drinks OJ no milk. he use to like choco milk and now can stand it. OH AND NACHOS FROM TACO BELL! he wil eat it with the beans. but if i buy the beans and stick em in nachos he wont eat it LOL he drives me bonkers. i just let him eat his pasta everyday and not worry about him

Advertisement

SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #22
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom22girlz
Does you oldest hardly ever eat? Megan is tall and skinny I am amazed how she can live on snacky foods. I give her health snack foods but seems like if it involves a fork and spoon forget about it.

Rachel
She goes through stages. She sometimes eats just enough to live and other times she eats more than I do!

But she is skinny due to being on meds up until 2 months ago when we saw a DAN! doctor who has put her on suppliments.

Yes, that arguing bit is horrid! And the tantrums are insane! She is getting better about those in the past couple of years but I use to have to put her into her room and hold the door She would get me so angry I was afraid of losing control of myself and hurting her. She would scream bloody murder, kicking and screaming. Hitting windows, doors and throwing toys. She did that for 30 min. one time and all I could do was hold the door and pray for her to stop and hope she didn't do any damage.
keegans_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #23
Mom22girlz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does any other parent here hate weekends? My dds schedule is all screwed up because of the weekend. I actually dred the weekends with my dd. I had a thought yesterday that I can't wait until she grows up and moves out.

Rachel
Mom22girlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:29 AM   #24
LittleHobbitsMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are hoping to get a diagnosis tomorrow for DD age 4. She definetly has sensory integration issues, but there is also something more we can't put our finger on yet. My parents have been visiting and DD is beside herself most of the time, it's so sad and hard to deal with. I don't think she has hugged or kissed them yet, and they have been here a week. I put her vest on her tonight when she was really losing it, and she calmed down within minutes...it's got to be hard for our kids!!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #25
Mom2Mia
Registered Users

Ours has got to be the fact she HAS to have the last word in an arguement! She hates to be touched when she's upset and have seen her scream bloody murder........IN PUBLIC!

That's Emma......to a T!

Anyway - here's a link for Natural Cellular Defense. You can also Google it and find a lot of articles and info on it. I"m starting the kids on it in the next 2 weeks so I'll keep you updated on if we see improvements or not. I've talked to another Mom whose son is severe aspergers and she says this has been a miracle for them.

http://www.windersight.com/
Mom2Mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #26
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

The above post's first sentence? THAT is Tiffany! Last word, can't stand to be touched when upset and yes, she has screamed bloody murder in public and everywhere else. Yikes!

Anyway, I am about to take her and her sister to the DAN! doc after I pick them up from school. We are finding out the results of Tiffany's hair test and claire's blood and hair tests. I am a bit nervous to see as it will tell us alot about why they are this way and hopefully how we can help them out.

Keep your fingers crossed it won't be too difficult! I want my quiet good girls back!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #27
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Ok, back to report the findings of the hair test!

Just as I had suspected with Tiffany, high levels of Mercury! She also has abnormally high levels of aluminum so we are going to Home Depot today for a water filter as the most aluminum comes through drinking water but also is in some baking soda's and deodorants.

She has an extremely, (off the charts in fact!) level of Manganese which can cause depression, manic episodes, anxiety, forgetfulness and such.

She starts chelation (heavy metal detox) in 3-4 weeks after we get her low levels of essential minerals up as the detox can strip the body of these as well as the toxic metals.

Claire is not as high in mercury, which makes sense as she was born AFTER 1998 when mercury was banned, so she won't have to go through chelation but she has some abnormally low levels of cobalt and selenium and also zinc. The first two can greatly affect your mood and she has a HUGE disorder with her emotions so I am hoping that will balance that out for her! It's also coincides with others within the autisim spectrum to have abnormally low levels of cobalt. These people, along with those who are experiencing dementia or altzimers's (sp?) have high levels of aluminum and she is also experiencing that too.

So, we are busy working on leveling out their abnormally high and low levels of these metals and essential minerals. They are having a blood test today to get a more comprehensive look at their B vitamin deficiency and other issues that may be hidden that a hair test cannot detect.

I am excited to get such results as this can mean the correction of the autisim spectrum for both girls!
Old 05-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #28
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not a parent of an autistic child but I am a special education teacher. When I was in grad school I worked as an aide at a special needs private school and I was a one-to-one aide for a 10 year old girl w/ autism. HEr autism was pretty severe. It was recommended that I read Temple Grandin's book "Thinking In Picutres" to help understand this child and it really did! Temple Grandin is autistic herself and said she was the type of child who would be rocking and screaming in the corner of the room, barely verbal. Now she's a PhD in animal science and invented that machine that "squishes" autistic people. I used to sandwich my student in the gym mats and sit on it I know that sounds awful, but she loved it and would take my hand and bring me to the mats to do this for her. Anyway, the book helped me understand how she related to the world and it gave me new perspective when working with her. I highly recommend it.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #29
keithsmom03
Registered Users

hey, how is everyone doing? im hanging in there. been a very trying week for us. keith has been a mess. he learned how to spill his milk out of his bottle onto his toys and the floor and no matter what i do to try and correct it it doesnt work, and when i take the bottle away its like his whole world just fell apart. i did however have a great experience this week. i went to kohls, as i have been looking everywhere for a "squishy pillow" you know those ones with the beads in it that feel really wierd. and i found one, a cute ducky one in fact, and i gave it to keith. his face lit up, he grinned and said ducky. and has not put that ducky down for the 2 days he has had it!!!!! i have NEVER seem him so attached to something, not even his cars, which he is systematic with. and it was great to see his little face light up like that.

anyways, on a side note, someone had wrote about what is the hardest thing for you to deal with as far as behaviors. mine would have to be keith's hitting, punching, kicking, and being physically harmful to himself. that and the fact that no matter what i do i have to tippy toe or i could set him off. how do you deal with that?

also, the echolalia, when you are trying to correct them, how do you deal with that? this kid can go on for 10-15mins with the same thing and it gets really old after the first 5mins. redirecting nothing works.

oh and does anyone else's kid look like they are trying really hard to understand you at times but you look at them and can tell by the look on their face it just didnt "click"?

heather marie
keithsmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:40 AM   #30
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Heather Marie- Re-directing can sometimes be difficult. With Tiffany we have to give her plenty of time to finish up what she is doing and then we can change the activity. This is something my DH can't understand, has NO patience for and therefore it causes a huge problem between him and Tiffany. Then it starts an arguement and everybody who knows anything about Asperger's syndrome is: YOU NEVER START AN ARGUEMENT WITH AN ASPIE KIDS AND WIN!!!!! They just don't back down and they don't quit! LOL

Oh anyway, we are getting along. At least she is good at taking these suppliments and I am hoping that in another month we can start the chelation and I pray it works! Mothering magazine had a success story of an autistic child who was brought back to normal after chelation therapy and I am really praying this works!!!!

Tags
autism, potty training