Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toddler beds, when and why?

DD went into a toddler bed at 2, she had trouble climbing so we needed something short. She always slept fine in her crib and had no problems switching.

DS on the other hand, total opposite! Hated his crib, never slept in it for more than 2 hrs. Switched him to a twin at 17 months and for the first time ever he STTN! Poor kid just hated his little tiny hard mattress! Sleeps great in his twin, and even goes to bed voluntarily at 19 months!

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Subbing! We're debating what to do with DS. He's 14mths and cosleeps with us most of the time, he can get down off our king bed easily (as long as he's watching what he's doing lol). I like the crib though because it keeps him contained, but I imagine by 18mths I'll be able to trust him a lot more (or should I say, know what he is capable of, lol)... we're trying to decide whether we should go straight to a twin (or probably a full-sized) or if we convert the crib to a toddler bed...
Old 06-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #13
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We switched DS when he was 17 mo only because I was preggo and we wanted to make the transition earlier in my pregnancy so his whole work wouldn't change right when I had DD. I am not sure when we will switch DD, she sleeps through the night so I am a little scared it will mess that up. I am thinking about 18 mo we will give it a shot unless she seems ready earlier.
Leilani '10
mom2riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:

my dd is 20 mths old and might be switching soon as she can now climb out.
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #15
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I switched my DD at a little under 2 years old to the toddler bed, cuz she kept climbing out of her crib then couldn't get back in. I was getting up 2-3 times a night to put her back into her crib, then I'd still find her asleep on the floor in the morning. Then I made her crib into the toddler bed and she went back to sleeping through the night, cuz she could get out to play for a bit and knew it, but she could get back into bed to sleep. KWIM? It just made sense for us at that time. My MIL thought we should switch her at 15 months old, but I said no, cuz she wasn't ready. She was just fine in her crib still. KWIM? I figure that my kids will tell me when they are ready for stuff. Same thing goes for potty training.

ETA: DS is only sleeping short spurts in his crib lately, but sleeps great in our bed. I wonder if he needs a bed sooner than later. Maybe once he is like a little over a year old we'll consider it.

Last edited by Jewelgurl137; 06-13-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Jewelgurl137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #16
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

13 months for each of the boys For ds1, I thought he was ready and felt like it'd be more comfortable than what we were doing. For ds2, he started climbing and I was afraid he was going to hurt himself.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #17
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds crib turns into a toddler bed and we switched him around 18m or so, because I wanted him in a bed he could get out of and come into our room in the middle of the night..needless to say I still get up and get him
Old 06-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #18
HBuehler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think we took some pics before we had got the paint on it...the kiddos decided to color it themselves!
I decided to use the portable bed rails instead of wooden ones because of more ventilation with all the mesh screening.Now my little guy has his removed on the bottom bed..but DD will not get hers removed no matter how much she complains.
Will do some searching and post the pics for you.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:36 PM   #19
mondoowolfe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No toddler bed for dd#1. . . BUT she never crawled out of her crib or minded it so we made a BIG production about it for her birthday and she loved it because we called it her "princess bed". . . and she switched when she was THREE. Plus, she's a wild woman in bed so we got her a full size so that she would be less likely to fall out and we could use it for guests if we needed to.
mondoowolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #20
DiaperDiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

switched my son as soon as he started walking. i had a toddler bed and a crib set up and he picked the toddler bed