Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
mhibberd
Registered Users

My Mood:
Need help dealing with a screamer

My dd is 20 mon and she screams or squeals about everything. She is very intelligent and shows no signs of anything wrong developmentally that we can tell. She just chooses not to talk. There are even works that we know she can say, but does not use them to express what she wants/needs. It is sooo frustrating.

We did teach her some signs, but she has since learned words for most of those. Now she is lagging in using her words again and we are going to have to get back into signing.

The biggest thing really though is that this is how she chooses to communicate with DS. If he looks at her funny, she screams. If he gets in her way... does something she doesn't like... she thinks he's coming to take something from her... he sits where she wanted to sit... she screams about everyting!!!! And a lot of the time it is her way of showing excitement, like if DS makes a funny face, she'll scream, and he'll laugh. So most of the time he's practically encouraging it. And now HE is starting to scream about stuff to, and he's 5!! Like if you tickle him or play around with him... but he didn't used to scream though, that is new.

I just can't take it. DH and I are having problems with our relationship as it is, but it just isn't fair that I am sooo frazzled when he gets home and I am just biting everyone's heads off by that point.

DS just got out of school (was in full day K) and this is our first full week of them together all day.... and I am already falling apart.

Is there anyway that anyone has found effective for nixing the screaming... or should I just buy ear plugs and install a padded room

Advertisement

Last edited by mhibberd; 06-14-2007 at 09:39 AM.
mhibberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
mhibberd
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Need help dealing with a screamer

Anyone? maybe I shouldn't post in the middle of the night
Old 06-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

All I can say is that my father disciplined me repeatedly and consistently for screaming. He treated it like hitting or kicking or biting - TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

I was immeidately removed from the situation, told that I had words and needed to use them, and it was made VERY clear that unless I was bleeding, significantly injured, or being molested or abducted that NO screaming AT ALL would be tolerated. It worked.

R

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
mhibberd
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks Rosella, This is what I am trying to do, but I guess it's hard with a 20 mon old. She is at least starting to understand what she is doing wrong. She does connect the word with the action. Sometimes she actually does it just to get a rise though. You can tell by the look on her face. She is such a sass.

I think with DS she is mostly frustrated that she does not know how else to tell him to stop, or express her excitement, so she just screams.

I just wish she would talk more. DS talked soooo early and this is just so very frustrating. We all though, oh, she'll talk so early and so good with such a great role model.... boy were we eeeeever wrong.

But thank you for tip. Good to hear that there is hope. I just seems that when we go somewhere that there are kids playing, that where there are girls, there is screaming... and I just don't think I can take this day after day after day. I just need to know that a girl can be taugh not to scream
Old 06-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

Repeatedly and consistently are the key words! It took dad half a year or more to get the NO screaming idea through to me - but I remember the day he did like it was yesterday. And I completely agree with how he handled it now.

Hang in there!

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
Momof1+2
Registered Users

One of my 21mo twins does the same thing. She also has a terrible temper. I managed to do away with the tantrums but the screaming continues. We are using sign language (signing times dvds) and it seems to work most of the time. I try to camly tell her to use her words or to show me (either by taking me to what she wants or by signing). Sometime hard to do if my 5 yp or her twin sister want something at the same time. My dd1 is also done ft K...so now I'm havign to deal with all 3 at the same time all day.
Good luck not sure I helped at all but know you are not alone!