Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #11
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else with Hearing Impaired child?

Wow I am always amazed at the lack of healthcare you guys have. My heart really aches for you. I'm sorry about your mom to. I jsut dont understand it over there. I would seriously find out what can be done now to help you son, or you will end up having development problems. Hearing is important and if they can make him hear then they should. Our BAHA is paid for (thank G*d) it is 4000$. Also we get sign lessons (even with the BAHA he has a loss) speech therapy, plus lots of other services. Perhaps your Pead might know of someplace you can get some type of services. I wish I could help more but I really dont understand how everything works down there... Stay strong momma and dont give up!

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, yes its crazy! He goes in next week for his 6month check up so I'll really need to talk to his Dr I feel like its better to help him NOW so he doesn't fall behind! I'm in nursing school and I'm going to start sign language classes next semester.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:

Heres a really great ASL site if your interested...
http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm
Old 06-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snangel View Post
Heres a really great ASL site if your interested...
http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm
Thanks!!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #15
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you heard about Signing Time DVDs?

My son loves them and started watching the Baby Signing Time DVDs at 4 months old. My husband and I both love them too. They are alot of fun. It has been a good way for us to start learning ASL. My son doesn't sign much back to us at this point, but he knows lots of signs. I think the videos would be as good for a HI little one as a non-HI little one. They are fun videos for little ones to watch at least.

Right now we only have Baby Signing Times 1 and 2 and Signing Times 1-3, but I would like to get the rest of the volumes. I also believe they had a TV show on PBS? at one point.

My son is not hearing impaired. He did have chronic ear infections for a while (6months), which seemed to affect his hearing and balance. He started walking across the room the same day he had his ear tubes put in. Before that he would just take a step or two and fall forward. So I guess the infections were affecting his hearing and balance more than we thought.

I just wanted to share some cool, fun videos with you!

http://signingtime.com/

Last edited by wimama; 06-14-2007 at 01:00 PM.
wimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I'll look into that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimama View Post
Have you heard about Signing Time DVDs?

My son loves them and started watching the Baby Signing Time DVDs at 4 months old. My husband and I both love them too. They are alot of fun. It has been a good way for us to start learning ASL. My son doesn't sign much back to us at this point, but he knows lots of signs. I think the videos would be as good for a HI little one as a non-HI little one. They are fun videos for little ones to watch at least.

Right now we only have Baby Signing Times 1 and 2 and Signing Times 1-3, but I would like to get the rest of the volumes. I also believe they had a TV show on PBS? at one point.

My son is not hearing impaired. He did have chronic ear infections for a while (6months), which seemed to affect his hearing and balance. He started walking across the room the same day he had his ear tubes put in. Before that he would just take a step or two and fall forward. So I guess the infections were affecting his hearing and balance more than we thought.

I just wanted to share some cool, fun videos with you!

http://signingtime.com/
Old 06-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #17
mommofboys3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah i cant believe they are being so lax about it...to tell you to come back (that is what we went through) i had to fight for someone to listen to me...he got fitted for hearing aids right away...the sooner the better! good luck!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:47 PM   #18
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Mama!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommofboys3 View Post
yeah i cant believe they are being so lax about it...to tell you to come back (that is what we went through) i had to fight for someone to listen to me...he got fitted for hearing aids right away...the sooner the better! good luck!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #19
LittleHobbitsMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is deaf, we believe caused by medication in the NICU. She now has a cochlear implant and is doing awesome! We are hoping to get her an implant in the other ear in the near future!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:55 PM   #20
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was on several medications during my pregnancy(I had very sever hyperemesis) at oene point I had a blood infection caused by my picc line(while I was in hospital!) and there were only 2 medications to choose from, first one made me shake like I was having a seizure and my body temp dropped 3 dgrees in minutes, the other was not approved for pregnant women but we had no choice. The first medication would have caused me to miscarry if I continued it, so I often wonder if it was cause by all those medications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHobbitsMomma View Post
My daughter is deaf, we believe caused by medication in the NICU. She now has a cochlear implant and is doing awesome! We are hoping to get her an implant in the other ear in the near future!