Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #11
snangel's Avatar
snangel
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CDN
Posts: 1,282
My Mood:
Re: Anyone else with Hearing Impaired child?

Wow I am always amazed at the lack of healthcare you guys have. My heart really aches for you. I'm sorry about your mom to. I jsut dont understand it over there. I would seriously find out what can be done now to help you son, or you will end up having development problems. Hearing is important and if they can make him hear then they should. Our BAHA is paid for (thank G*d) it is 4000$. Also we get sign lessons (even with the BAHA he has a loss) speech therapy, plus lots of other services. Perhaps your Pead might know of someplace you can get some type of services. I wish I could help more but I really dont understand how everything works down there... Stay strong momma and dont give up!

Advertisement

__________________
CanaDiaN momma to BOYS!
snangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
MrsCrafty's Avatar
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,882
My Mood:
Re: Anyone else with Hearing Impaired child?

Wow, yes its crazy! He goes in next week for his 6month check up so I'll really need to talk to his Dr I feel like its better to help him NOW so he doesn't fall behind! I'm in nursing school and I'm going to start sign language classes next semester.
__________________
Denise, building a life with B my farmer, Mom to L 09.2006, W 12.2006, A 04.2013, and B 09.2014 and one angel 10.24.2013
MrsCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
snangel's Avatar
snangel
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CDN
Posts: 1,282
My Mood:
Re: Anyone else with Hearing Impaired child?

Heres a really great ASL site if your interested...
http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm
__________________
CanaDiaN momma to BOYS!
snangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
MrsCrafty's Avatar
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,882
My Mood:
Re: Anyone else with Hearing Impaired child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snangel View Post
Heres a really great ASL site if your interested...
http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm
Thanks!!!!
__________________
Denise, building a life with B my farmer, Mom to L 09.2006, W 12.2006, A 04.2013, and B 09.2014 and one angel 10.24.2013
MrsCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #15
wimama's Avatar
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,198
My Mood:
Re: Anyone else with Hearing Impaired child?

Have you heard about Signing Time DVDs?

My son loves them and started watching the Baby Signing Time DVDs at 4 months old. My husband and I both love them too. They are alot of fun. It has been a good way for us to start learning ASL. My son doesn't sign much back to us at this point, but he knows lots of signs. I think the videos would be as good for a HI little one as a non-HI little one. They are fun videos for little ones to watch at least.

Right now we only have Baby Signing Times 1 and 2 and Signing Times 1-3, but I would like to get the rest of the volumes. I also believe they had a TV show on PBS? at one point.

My son is not hearing impaired. He did have chronic ear infections for a while (6months), which seemed to affect his hearing and balance. He started walking across the room the same day he had his ear tubes put in. Before that he would just take a step or two and fall forward. So I guess the infections were affecting his hearing and balance more than we thought.

I just wanted to share some cool, fun videos with you!

http://signingtime.com/
__________________
Amy - wife to David and WOHM to J and E Sept 2011

Last edited by wimama; 06-14-2007 at 01:00 PM.
wimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
MrsCrafty's Avatar
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,882
My Mood:
Re: Anyone else with Hearing Impaired child?

Thanks! I'll look into that!


Quote:
Originally Posted by wimama View Post
Have you heard about Signing Time DVDs?

My son loves them and started watching the Baby Signing Time DVDs at 4 months old. My husband and I both love them too. They are alot of fun. It has been a good way for us to start learning ASL. My son doesn't sign much back to us at this point, but he knows lots of signs. I think the videos would be as good for a HI little one as a non-HI little one. They are fun videos for little ones to watch at least.

Right now we only have Baby Signing Times 1 and 2 and Signing Times 1-3, but I would like to get the rest of the volumes. I also believe they had a TV show on PBS? at one point.

My son is not hearing impaired. He did have chronic ear infections for a while (6months), which seemed to affect his hearing and balance. He started walking across the room the same day he had his ear tubes put in. Before that he would just take a step or two and fall forward. So I guess the infections were affecting his hearing and balance more than we thought.

I just wanted to share some cool, fun videos with you!

http://signingtime.com/
__________________
Denise, building a life with B my farmer, Mom to L 09.2006, W 12.2006, A 04.2013, and B 09.2014 and one angel 10.24.2013
MrsCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #17
mommofboys3's Avatar
mommofboys3
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 740
My Mood:
Re: Anyone else with Hearing Impaired child?

yeah i cant believe they are being so lax about it...to tell you to come back (that is what we went through) i had to fight for someone to listen to me...he got fitted for hearing aids right away...the sooner the better! good luck!
__________________
*amy* wife to chris and SAHM to Quenton 01, Carter 03, Kolten 06, and Keaton 08
mommofboys3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:47 PM   #18
MrsCrafty's Avatar
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,882
My Mood:
Re: Anyone else with Hearing Impaired child?

Thanks Mama!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by mommofboys3 View Post
yeah i cant believe they are being so lax about it...to tell you to come back (that is what we went through) i had to fight for someone to listen to me...he got fitted for hearing aids right away...the sooner the better! good luck!
__________________
Denise, building a life with B my farmer, Mom to L 09.2006, W 12.2006, A 04.2013, and B 09.2014 and one angel 10.24.2013
MrsCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #19
LittleHobbitsMomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 311
My Mood:
Re: Anyone else with Hearing Impaired child?

My daughter is deaf, we believe caused by medication in the NICU. She now has a cochlear implant and is doing awesome! We are hoping to get her an implant in the other ear in the near future!
__________________
Susan
Proud Fiance and Blessed Momma to DD & DD 11 years, DD 9 years, DS 8 year, and DS EDD 1/24/2013
LittleHobbitsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:55 PM   #20
MrsCrafty's Avatar
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,882
My Mood:
Re: Anyone else with Hearing Impaired child?

I was on several medications during my pregnancy(I had very sever hyperemesis) at oene point I had a blood infection caused by my picc line(while I was in hospital!) and there were only 2 medications to choose from, first one made me shake like I was having a seizure and my body temp dropped 3 dgrees in minutes, the other was not approved for pregnant women but we had no choice. The first medication would have caused me to miscarry if I continued it, so I often wonder if it was cause by all those medications.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHobbitsMomma View Post
My daughter is deaf, we believe caused by medication in the NICU. She now has a cochlear implant and is doing awesome! We are hoping to get her an implant in the other ear in the near future!
__________________
Denise, building a life with B my farmer, Mom to L 09.2006, W 12.2006, A 04.2013, and B 09.2014 and one angel 10.24.2013
MrsCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.