Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:
Time out help

HOW do you get them to STAY!? I am at the end of my rope here. I put her in the corner and she laughs at me and come right back out. Repeatedly.

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Time out help

Time out doesn't work for us, either. We do 'holding time' and I hold him lovingly but firmly in a way that doesn't hurt him and he can't hurt me. It's like killing 'em with love! When he's being defiant, it totally gets him to let out his crying and usually lasts a few minutes till he's begging to be free and independent again. It takes more effort than time out, but has been really effective for us, I think because unacceptable behavior is often from needing more attention, and this gives them more attention they wanted!

Good luck! I'm finally reeping the benefits of consistancy in discipline. He's finally figuring it out after a year of testing every limit and boundary. Consistancy is sooo important and works...eventually!
Old 06-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

face her to the wall and stay stern, if she gets up do not talk to her, just go sit her back down. it takes a few times for soem kids, my son knows he better stay if he is in trouble. goodluck mama
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
kugrinic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yea I hear you mama, I notice the more tired he is the more defiant he becomes. We have 'a' naughty chair for time outs. We use the same chair everytime unless I am somewhere else (like at Lowes when he had to sit on a pallet in the garden center.) Any who, when he gets up I put him right back and look at him at his level and say "Momm is not laughing, your having a time out for....." Oh he fake cries for a moment getting upset, but I hold on to the 2 minute (i minute per year) as long as I can (usually wimp out after one). But when he is still sitting there I look at him again and say "You had a time out for hitting etc..." "I love you, can you sorry" he always says sorry and hugs me really hard.