Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
ngabriel
Registered Users
seller

Question Tell all about your cloth!

Hey all! Time to share all about how cloth fits into your life! I am new to this and have only been a Cloth diaperer for a little under 2 months. But I LOVE it! I have moved along to, not only dipes, but wipes and mamma cloth!

So please tell all: How long you have been a cloth momma? what cloth products you use in your life? What your various stashes look like (diaper, mamma, wipes, etc.) What "cloth life" accessories you use, etc. (like wipe spray, bags, etc.)

Please share! I'm all ears and ready to learn!
n

Advertisement

Last edited by ngabriel; 06-14-2007 at 12:01 PM.
ngabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
kimmyjling
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell all about your cloth!

I am a Cloth-Lover! Sadly, I didnt realize this was a passion of mine until after ds started potty training, but we do still CD overnight.

This is the 'About Me' page from my website:

Quote:
My name is Kim, I'm a Work At Home Mom! (WAHM)

I have a beautiful, energetic little boy named Thomas. I've been a Stay At Home Mom (SAHM) for 3 years, until one day I discovered cloth, and felt I needed to share it with other moms out there like myself. Heres the short version of our journey to cloth.

As a SAHM, I always looked for ways to minimize spending, cut corners, and stretch every last penny. Yet, here I am every diaper change throwing away diapers and wipes, washing my hands and throwing away the paper towel, every time I threw something away, I was watching our money get tossed into the garbage, filling landfills all over the world!

I started to watch carefully, the things I was buying just to throw away. Floor Cleaning products, Paper Napkins, Paper Plates, Paper Towels, Diapers, Baby Wipes, Potty Training Pants....and looking even closer, Cotton Swabs, Dryer Sheets, Facial Tissues, Toilet Paper, and Monthly Menstrual Products.

With my reusable cloth grocery bags in hand, I headed to the local fabric stores and Goodwill's to put this to an end. I want to share my tips, natural cleaning recipes, and re-useable products with you.
I cant even believe the dent it has made in my spending! I feel so empowered browsing the isles of the grocery store, and walking right past the feminine products, the cleaning produsts, the picnic tossable products, the toilet paper and paper towels...I don't buy any of that anymore!! All I leave with from the grocery store is GROCERIES!!!

And even a better feeling, Wednesday-I only drag one garbage pail to the curb, and its only half full! The other one sits empty by the back door! I notice my cut down in household waste also! (that goes with reusing and recycling in the home as well, ie. jelly jars=mommy sippy cup on the go!)
kimmyjling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
rachaelmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great topic! I just recently started to use cloth diapers on my youngest boy when we found out he is allergic to disposable diapers. Now I wish we would have starte two years ago with my first! We have completly swithed both little ones over to cloth diapers, only been at it about a month now and loving it. I also just got my first wipes in, couldn't see having to dig the wipe out of a diaper to throw it away. I am in the process of convincing hubby we need family cloth, but that might take awhile to accomplish! I am looking for ideas on how to cut out other "tossable" products from our household, like papertowels, napkins, plastic bags, trashbags, cleaning products, etc! Got a good website? Send me a link! I am willing to try anything at least once!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
mikkismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So please tell all: How long you have been a cloth momma?
Approaching a year now.

what cloth products you use in your life?
Diapers, Wipes, Momma wipes, planning on momma cloth when I get there, napkins, boogy rags, floor wipes, bags, looking for more ideas.

What your various stashes look like (diaper, mamma, wipes, etc.)
Diaper stash is in transition. Its pretty small, but gradually working up to accommodate two. Mainly pfs and covers, but slowly getting more OS pockets. Wipes stash is growing too. Mainly washcloths from target. I like those.
NO momma yet, will build that in a few months when AF is here to stay.

What "cloth life" accessories you use, etc. (like wipe spray, bags, etc.)
for wipes, I just put a few drops of tto/lavendar in an old wipe container and dunk wipes. Working on knitting a wetbag.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been using cloth since Ethan was about 4 months old and he's 18 months now. I tried as a newborn w/o success, gave up and tried again. I was a pocket mama for a year and now I loooove fitteds and covers, fitteds and wool, and pfs and covers. I plan to stick w/ that as long as it still works! I use cloth wipes,and mostly water as amy wipes solution, and I enjoy hanging diapers on the line very much. I'm anal, and I have a system for hanging them, so it looks very nice LOL. I also am a new mama cloth convert and Ilove it! I also use cloth napkins, and cloth grocery bags, cloth cleaning towels. I've used cloth for a long time- I've been using cloth napkins exclusively since I graduated college (long time ago LOL ) and cloth grocery bags- long before I knew was "crunchy" really was. Cloth diapers just naturally fit into my life- it just seemed the thing to do. H is really on board w/ it as well and I"ve turned him into a cloth user. I don't think he remembers a time when he bought paper napkins now LOL
Old 06-14-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Cloth diapering was my gateway into healthier and more friendly options for me and my family as well. We've been back and forth on things. I took a 9 month hiatus from cloth diapering DD#1 when we moved. Now that I stay at home she's back in cloth 95% of the time. I started using a Diva Cup early last year instead of having to mess with buying tampons on the regular. I also find myself only reaching for the bottle of vinegar and water to clean (I add TTO and lavender too). I have Seventh Generation dish soap, and we use baking soda for cleaning too. I also started getting into reusable grocery bags.

We still use normal toilet paper as that's something that my boyfriend refuses to give up. As well as paper towels, but that's been cut drastically (a roll a month) since I use old wash clothes to clean. Bleach is also the other thing that my boyfriend is unwilling to give up (me too for that matter).

All those changes came about slowly from my getting started using cloth diapers.... it's a vortex that sucks you in.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
ngabriel
Registered Users
seller

Wow! That is great!!! Like I said, i am just getting started, but I can tell that that is definitely the direction I am heading.

Oh! I jsut realized, I haven't done my beginners tell all..

I started out with cloth diapers with my little one. I use mostly~ about 20 BG 2.0, 5 or 6 kissaluvs, and about 10 various other cloth diapers and covers.

Ok then, when baby came along, and I started using them, We bought a big 3 pack of wipes from Sams club. We used these with the cloth diapers for a while. HOWEVER, when my beautiful cloth started getting messed up in the wash, all pilly from the silly sposie wipes, I called that the last straw. Besides they didn't smell good anyways, I had to use LIKE 5 or 6 with each change, and when baby was 2 weeks old the sposie wipes 3 pack was finished! I yelled out "Honey, we need more.." then I paused and thought - oh! Heck no, I'm not gonna be doing this every 2 weeks!

So I pulled out the 50 something extra baby washclothes we got at our showers and stacked them up next to my changing staion, and cloth wipes were born into my life!!! When hubby came upstairs, he said "what do we need more of?" And I said "nothing! We're using cloth wipes now.." LOL

Then I thought I would try a mamma cloth for after the baby came, and I LOVED it, so I got more and one of those happy tushies bags (which I LOVE, soooo well made!). and the rest is history!

Matter of fact, I was still using a few sposie wipes that we had left over, only when we go out. But I decided this morning, I'm done with that too.. So Now I need some suggestions on bum sprays - eith ready made or homemade recipes that you all use to wipe bums when out and about.

I love cloth.. :-) hehe
ngabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
kaspears17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been CDing for about 6 months now. I totally love it. I so wish I had learned about it back 8 years ago with my first DS. My stash is made up of about 18-20 AIOs which I use for day care and overnight with woolies. 10 pfs, 5 fitteds and 7 covers. I also have several pairs of recycled woolies and 3 pairs of knitted ones. I want more covers, but since i got in to CDing to save $$, I can't justify spending more.

As far as other cloth products, we use disposable wipes, but the huggies brand you can throw in the wash with the diaps and reuse with warm water. We use cloth in the kitchen like papertowles and such. There's no way I'd get DH and my kids to use family cloth or whatever so I'm not even going to try...DH thinks I'm crazy as is.

Great thread, I like seeing what other moms are using.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
mandalynnne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great topic! I fell in love with cloth diapers when my first DS was 9 months old (now 18.5 months). I bought 3 FBs from a local mama and within a week had bought 11 more and was 100% CD. The new baby has never had a sposie touch his cute little booty (FYI: It was fun to watch the nurses in the hospital try to figure out how to put the CD I INSISTED they use on him). We use cloth wipes with warm water. We also only use cloth to clean with and napkins. I use mama cloth and have been using them every day since about a week after I gave birth to my 2nd ds (which is 3 weeks now --- every day). I actually got my mama cloth from kimmyjling and I love it!!!

WAHM behind TMD

ISO nothing! My girl is mostly pl'ed!
mandalynnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
ngabriel
Registered Users
seller

I love hearing everyone's ideas! Hey, for the mammas who use the family cloth.. how does that work? (without being too graphic ) Does the FULL regimen of cloth (ie. dipes, mama, family, napkins, bags, etc.) make for an enormous amount of laundry?

n