Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #21
baby1577
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car Seat? 5 pt Past 40lb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadjarea View Post
Just my

Britax Regent all the way.

yup. i agree. might as well get the seat you can use the longest.

http://littlefolks.stores.yahoo.net/brrecarsefru1.html

a friend ordered from them Monday and her seat is already there, in her car.

Advertisement

I am living the dream selling Plexus! Message me for info about a line of products that can help your family achieve overall wellness. Free shipping for all my DS mamas! Join my team today and find financial freedom! I have! http://shea7.myplexusproducts.com
baby1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:35 PM   #22
kycanonist
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
might as well get the seat you can use the longest
This is why we ended up going with the Apex. With the ability to use it as the booster seat after the 5-pt harness, we won't have to get another carseat or booster at this point.

Jacqui
kycanonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #23
baby1577
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycanonist View Post
This is why we ended up going with the Apex. With the ability to use it as the booster seat after the 5-pt harness, we won't have to get another carseat or booster at this point.

Jacqui
well, i don't consider the booster part because we won't ever use a seat as a booster with the seat belt.

so b/c the regent will harness to 80lbs it gives you by far the longest amount of use.
I am living the dream selling Plexus! Message me for info about a line of products that can help your family achieve overall wellness. Free shipping for all my DS mamas! Join my team today and find financial freedom! I have! http://shea7.myplexusproducts.com

Last edited by baby1577; 06-15-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #24
mama2madj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1577 View Post
well, i don't consider the booster part because we won't ever use a seat as a booster with the seat belt.

this has me curious? what do you mean by this? that at 80lbs no matter what you will move the child to a regular seat/buckle?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #25
baby1577
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mad View Post
this has me curious? what do you mean by this? that at 80lbs no matter what you will move the child to a regular seat/buckle?
Once he is 80lbs he will use the e-z-on 86y.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #26
mama2madj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1577 View Post
Once he is 80lbs he will use the e-z-on 86y.
what is that? how much does it cost? what weight does it go to??
im relieved to know you wouldnt just move him to a regular seat! that was my worry, but now you have me curious about this other thing as i have a 7.5yo who is past the weight limit for a booster (yes, shes over 100lbs), but she's ONLY 7.5!!!! i found one thing that would harness to 120 or 140lbs, but it was about $300 and something had to be installed into the car that ran about $100 and there is no way for me to afford that
Old 06-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #27
Papooses
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycanonist View Post
I drive a Ford Escape and I have the Apex on one side in the back and a Britax Roundabout in the middle. There is plenty of room for one person to sit in the backseat with the two seats in there.
I had 2 Escapes, 1 Hybrid the other not -- the Apex is just as wide as the Regent & there was absolutely no way to *safely* secure a carseat in the center with either my Husky/Regent or Apex outboard.... Please make sure that each seat is independently secure: we're often fooled when seats are simply pressed up against each other (if you remove the Apex, it's highly likely that the Roundabout will not meet the less than 1" movement at the beltpath rule)
Old 06-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #28
Papooses
Registered Users

My Mood:

You've gotten some great advice from other techs & knowledgeable advocates, so I'll just add a bit of personal experience with the following seat options....

Regent: keeps kids harnessed the longest, is extremely comfortable & installs most vehicles correctly (it's hefty & is not good for travel)

Apex65: needs high enough vehicle seatback to support at least up to eye level (think long term here) & it's quite flimsy in comparison with every other option here -- we use this as our spare/travel seat since it is lightweight & can be installed rather easily.

Britax Marathon/Boulevard/Decathlon: positions kiddo high in the vehicle for added visibility, fun cover options for added kid approval/cooperation, fits the majority of vehicles correctly, you can use a GogoKidz for rolling kiddo through airports (must not be attached when installin in vehicles). Decathalon does not have the new "Rip Stitch" feature which helps reduce crash force upon the child.

Sunshine Kids Radian: can keep kiddo harnessed slightly longer than the MA/BV/DC but the tether slots are close together so some kids feel "choked" & while its narrow base makes it great for tight squeezes it also squeezes bigger kids' hips/thighs. Folds for travel & has carrying strap, but is really heavy.

Evenflo Triumph Advance: superduper easy to use in every way possible! If it tethered RF, I would be in heaven, LOL -- my 5 year old still fits & she outgrew most combination seats at about the same age as your son.... 35# RF weight limit, 50# FF weight limit. Very comfy & cost is comparable to the Radian.

Recaro Como/Signo: Recaro (like Britax who is also considered an innovator of the industry) is a very well respected manufacturer, evidenced not only by their pricetag, but by the fact that they use the strongest grade plastic & do extensive testing -- they've been making racing seats for years! Their carseats install well in most vehicles & are extremely comfortable.

RideSafer Travel Vest: we have this & it's decent, but I do not recommend it for daily use, it's best saved as a travel/emergency seat (fantastic low cost for special needs kids, though!)

SafeGuard Child Seat: Made by IMMI who manufactures & supplies over 75% of all items included in almost all carseats + school bus & ambulance systems. At least as reputable (probably more so) than Recaro & Britax because of their intense research & dedication to innovations for enhanced safety.

EZOn: KidY or 86Y can be used only with the RideRyte booster (highback or lowback, depending on vehicle head support available) -- these are very cost effective, but not as comfortable as any of the other options + it lacks side impact protection (important for outboard positioning or if the vehicle does not have side curtain airbags)

Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe: based on the Marathon & made by Britax -- lower price tag because it lacks RF tetherability + lock offs, has slightly lower FF weight limit (same top harness slot measurement) & the cover options aren't as nice. Price is slightly less than the Radian & new Triumph Advance.

My website may have some more helpful information for you if you need to share with or convince family/friends

Last edited by Papooses; 06-15-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Papooses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #29
baby1577
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mad View Post
what is that? how much does it cost? what weight does it go to??
im relieved to know you wouldnt just move him to a regular seat! that was my worry, but now you have me curious about this other thing as i have a 7.5yo who is past the weight limit for a booster (yes, shes over 100lbs), but she's ONLY 7.5!!!! i found one thing that would harness to 120 or 140lbs, but it was about $300 and something had to be installed into the car that ran about $100 and there is no way for me to afford that
http://www.ezonpro.com/products/fami...yHarness.shtml

there is the info on it, and at the APP site it says they're $60-$80. i'm not sure if that's accurate or not, as I haven't looked into pricing. we still have YEARS before we need to think about getting one.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #30
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papooses View Post
You've gotten some great advice from other techs & knowledgeable advocates, so I'll just add a bit of personal experience with the following seat options....

Regent: keeps kids harnessed the longest, is extremely comfortable & installs most vehicles correctly (it's hefty & is not good for travel)

Apex65: needs high enough vehicle seatback to support at least up to eye level (think long term here) & it's quite flimsy in comparison with every other option here -- we use this as our spare/travel seat since it is lightweight & can be installed rather easily.

Britax Marathon/Boulevard/Decathlon: positions kiddo high in the vehicle for added visibility, fun cover options for added kid approval/cooperation, fits the majority of vehicles correctly, you can use a GogoKidz for rolling kiddo through airports (must not be attached when installin in vehicles). Decathalon does not have the new "Rip Stitch" feature which helps reduce crash force upon the child.

Sunshine Kids Radian: can keep kiddo harnessed slightly longer than the MA/BV/DC but the tether slots are close together so some kids feel "choked" & while its narrow base makes it great for tight squeezes it also squeezes bigger kids' hips/thighs. Folds for travel & has carrying strap, but is really heavy.

Evenflo Triumph Advance: superduper easy to use in every way possible! If it tethered RF, I would be in heaven, LOL -- my 5 year old still fits & she outgrew most combination seats at about the same age as your son.... 35# RF weight limit, 50# FF weight limit. Very comfy & cost is comparable to the Radian.

Recaro Como/Signo: Recaro (like Britax who is also considered an innovator of the industry) is a very well respected manufacturer, evidenced not only by their pricetag, but by the fact that they use the strongest grade plastic & do extensive testing -- they've been making racing seats for years! Their carseats install well in most vehicles & are extremely comfortable.

RideSafer Travel Vest: we have this & it's decent, but I do not recommend it for daily use, it's best saved as a travel/emergency seat (fantastic low cost for special needs kids, though!)

SafeGuard Child Seat: Made by IMMI who manufactures & supplies over 75% of all items included in almost all carseats + school bus & ambulance systems. At least as reputable (probably more so) than Recaro & Britax because of their intense research & dedication to innovations for enhanced safety.

EZOn: KidY or 86Y can be used only with the RideRyte booster (highback or lowback, depending on vehicle head support available) -- these are very cost effective, but not as comfortable as any of the other options + it lacks side impact protection (important for outboard positioning or if the vehicle does not have side curtain airbags)

Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe: based on the Marathon & made by Britax -- lower price tag because it lacks RF tetherability + lock offs, has slightly lower FF weight limit (same top harness slot measurement) & the cover options aren't as nice. Price is slightly less than the Radian & new Triumph Advance.

My website may have some more helpful information for you if you need to share with or convince family/friends
Thank you!! I think I have made a decision. We are going to go with the Recaro Como. I like the look way more then the Regent. The strap height is almost the same and it is not quite as wide.
Leilani '10
mom2riley is offline   Reply With Quote