Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
DwellMama
Dwell Wool Knits
Formerly: mumtotwoboys
seller

My Mood:
Sell me on playsilks!

I'm seeing these pretty playsilks sold all over and am considering getting one. Could you tell me what kind of things you do with your child with them, or what your child does with them? I have a 2.5 and a 5 month old.

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #2
eirbjorn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sell me on playsilks!

Playsilks have been, handsdown, the most played with item we have in our home, for both DS and DD. They are still played with several times a day, and they are 6 and 8.
They are used for dressing up a lot, cloaks, capes, dresses, skirts, tops, wigs, you name it, they've tried it! They are also used as tents, rugs, oceans, mountains, rivers, banners, meadows, sky, and everything else for use with their toy animals, blocks, and little dolls. DS even uses them for landscape and battle banners and such with his bionicles and exo-force legos.
They're used as blankies, pillows, and beds for baby dolls, stuffed animals, and even our cat. When DD was a baby I tied one about an inch down from the middle (like a hankerchief doll?) and hung it form the ceiling over her crib, it flowed really nicely when we had the fan on in her room. They are also really pretty over windows for a subdued lighting during the day, if you get a larger one.
We play games with them, throwing them up in the air and trying to catch them before they fall. DD will have me tie some to scrunchies that she puts on her wrists then spins around and dances with them. They have served as backdrops (hung by clothespins on a clothesline we had in a doorway) for puppet shows.
These are the only things I can think of off the top of my head. I wouldn't leave a baby alone with one, as they can be choked on (very thin) but are great for peak-a-boo and hiding toys under during playtime with baby.
I was amazed at how much the kids played with them and recommend them to everyone now!!!

HTH!
Old 06-15-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
DwellMama
Dwell Wool Knits
Formerly: mumtotwoboys
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirbjorn View Post
Playsilks have been, handsdown, the most played with item we have in our home, for both DS and DD. They are still played with several times a day, and they are 6 and 8.
They are used for dressing up a lot, cloaks, capes, dresses, skirts, tops, wigs, you name it, they've tried it! They are also used as tents, rugs, oceans, mountains, rivers, banners, meadows, sky, and everything else for use with their toy animals, blocks, and little dolls. DS even uses them for landscape and battle banners and such with his bionicles and exo-force legos.
They're used as blankies, pillows, and beds for baby dolls, stuffed animals, and even our cat. When DD was a baby I tied one about an inch down from the middle (like a hankerchief doll?) and hung it form the ceiling over her crib, it flowed really nicely when we had the fan on in her room. They are also really pretty over windows for a subdued lighting during the day, if you get a larger one.
We play games with them, throwing them up in the air and trying to catch them before they fall. DD will have me tie some to scrunchies that she puts on her wrists then spins around and dances with them. They have served as backdrops (hung by clothespins on a clothesline we had in a doorway) for puppet shows.
These are the only things I can think of off the top of my head. I wouldn't leave a baby alone with one, as they can be choked on (very thin) but are great for peak-a-boo and hiding toys under during playtime with baby.
I was amazed at how much the kids played with them and recommend them to everyone now!!!

HTH!
WOW! Sold! ***Off to go buy some!***

If anyone has suggestions one where to buy them, please list them!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We got some accidentallywhen ds was about a year old- wrong order from a company- and my son LOVES them! He is 2 now and especially likes to walk around with it over his head because he can see blue or yellow or whatever. He loved peek-a-boo when he was littler. He likes to use it as a cape to be a superhero or wrap an animal in it like a blanket. He uses them all the time.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Playsilks are also the most played with item in our house! I won't type it all out as I would be repeating the great post from eirbjorn.

As for where to find them You can check my HC
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3girls View Post
Playsilks are also the most played with item in our house! I won't type it all out as I would be repeating the great post from eirbjorn.

As for where to find them You can check my HC
This is where I went just the other day for mine!!

I have 2 or should I say, Miranda has 2. lol She likes to sleep with them and use them as blankies.

I was ordering one for my friends daughter who's turning six, when I remembered I was getting her something different so of course I already ordered the playsilk so I just had to Customize it for miranda instead... Darn! LOL

She uses them as capes and blankies mostly.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #7
eirbjorn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtotwoboys View Post
WOW! Sold! ***Off to go buy some!***

If anyone has suggestions one where to buy them, please list them!
I'm sure there are many mamas out there that sell their hand-dyed playsilks. I know I have a couple from Color Farm on HC that are really pretty.
But where we got our last batch of them for Christmas presents last year was A Toy Garden http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm .

I'm sure you and your kiddos will love them!
Old 06-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

They are awesome, they're used all the time here too.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #9
meco
Registered Users

They are the best. They can be everything.

We use them for forts, to make curtains for surgery rooms/puppet shows/etc, as capes, clothing, babies in the belly, casts, slings, you name it. My son uses them for just about everything. They use them to be pirates, trees, fairies, animals, people. My son uses them more and more the older he gets. They are regularly used.

A silk as a turtle

My son wanted a marching drum, add a silk and he has one:

sorry for the red eye.

Last edited by meco; 06-15-2007 at 01:22 PM.
meco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:

my dd has a few small ones and those are napkins for fake kitchen, she has a couple of larger ones that we put on her as "skirts" and she plays peek a boo with toys and us. I really love them and they are super softies
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote