Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #21
mommypooh
Registered Users

Re: Dr appointment, low weight

My DD was born at 7 lbs 14 ozs. At a year she was only 17 lbs. So having a child that is big at birth does not mean they will be big their whole life. I say watch her, if she is hitting her milestones on schedule or early she is fine. I think a lot of doctors are not educated to take care of a BF baby. Google the WHO Breastfeed Baby Growth Charts and look at where she is according to those and print one out to take to the doctor, also go to Kellymom.com and there should be some articles about weight gain that you might want to take as well and educate your doctor.

Advertisement

mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #22
cowmommy
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

maybe you might be able to find something here to help ya mama
http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...read.php?t=336
Old 06-23-2006, 02:09 PM   #23
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that some are just small...and that is healthy for them! I've seen plenty of healthy babies that were called underweight, but seemed just fine!

I have a friend who has 5 kids, and her milk supply was less and less with each child. She drinks lots of the milk making tea, and eats and gives her youngest lots of nutty foods like avocados, tahini, almond butter, etc. Oh yeah, almonds and walnuts have something in them that's good for healthy brain development. Almond milk would be a safe alternative to formula. I once read a natural formula made of almond milk, apple juice, and spirulina. Just more ideas to help your little one grow. Breastmilk is always beneficial with the antibodies, and of course the comfort.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:50 PM   #24
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

OK great, I will definitely get some of that stuff to feed her, and almond milk in a cup. Thanks!
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:56 PM   #25
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Some kids are just small! My friends 2 kids...her daughter is almost 29 mo and she JUST hit 20 lbs. Her son just turned a year last sunday and he's 13 lbs. They don't LOOK like they're underweight....they're just small! At her sons 1 yr appt, he started to say something about his weight...then took a look at her daughter and said...he's doing great! Off the percentile scales, but doing great anyway.

I wouldn't fret unless she's going hungry.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #26
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

If you are worried about her not getting enough hind milk, you can try nursing off of the same breast twice before offereing the other. It helps ensure the breast is completely emptied and she gets the hindmilk.

I think the best is to stick with breastmilk though, oz for oz, its got more calories and fat that a jar of baby food, the baby cerreal is a filler. If you want to ensure she's getting some healthy fats into her, you can try sprinkling ground flax on some oatmeal, stir in a teeny bit of walnut oil (if you are sure there are no nut allergies). We did this with Fox since he started eating solids/cereal. They are both very high in Omega 3 and 9 fatty acids...I think those are the numbers anyway lol (the two omegas that are hard to get into our diet). I'm thinking safflower is another good oil, because for some reason, I have it in my fridge beside the walnut oil - but, it has a definate smell and taste, so I don't think Fox liked it. If you go with ground flax, grind it in a food processor or coffee grinder in small amounts and keep it in the freezer - the oils break down really fast, freezer helps.

Some babies are just tiny though. Fox has always been at the 10% or lower range, but 50%-75% for height. There were several months where he only gained .5 lb if that. He was 19.5 lbs at one, today at 2 yrs 2 mos, he's a whopping 25 lbs lol Not a single roll of chub on this boy...not even a hint of a crease. But he's always been healthy, so it doesn't worry me

Taking a break to focus on God & family

Last edited by MamaJo; 06-25-2006 at 08:58 AM.
MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:13 PM   #27
mom2t
Registered Users
seller

My dd is below the weight chart. 18 months 20 lbs. 33 inches tall (95+%).
Do not try to fatten her up. This could lead to adult obesity. Some babies are lean, some chubby. She may be more active etc... If she is tired all the time and does little activity or is sluggish, then worry. She is probably getting what she needs. You are doing a great job raising her. Cut yourself some slack.
mom2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #28
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My middle dd is in the 5th% too. She's just a smaller kid. She's 4 now and is totally fine but still in the 5th%. My other dd's are 50th%. I was worried and my dr. just said well, someone has to be in 5th %.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #29
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

well im glad you not panicking anymore :grin:
david is 3yrs 2mo and he is 27lbs, he tiny tiny. he is 36in long. in his shcool he the tiniest.
GOODLUCK!!!!
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #30
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

My DS is almost 15 months, he weighs 22lbs, 9 oz, but he is almost 33 inches tall! He is in the 25th for weight and 75th for height...he has been like that forever, and my ped said b/c his growth curve is good, there is nothing to worry about, he's just a tall, skinny kid! Both of my kids are like that, my DD is 4.5, she weighs about 46 lbs and is about 43ish inches tall, I think...