Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
bean3
Registered Users
seller

cloth diapers at hospital/birth plans...what to do?

First, let me say our birth plan is NOT excessive in the least. It does contain the things that are vitally important to my health (migraine prevention) so I can take care of the baby.

I have tried twice to get into the ONE tour the hospital has each month; both times it was booked early. I called the coordinator of the L&D instead and explained to her that I would be doing things like cloth diapering, kicking people out of my room if they are wearing perfume, etc. Apparently, I cannot use the birthing tub because they use aromatherapy in it (that will surely knock me out cold!). Okay, I can deal with that.

She said she really didn't know what to do with my situation and referred me to the L&D unit coordinators; there are three. I went to leave a voicemail for the one, but she is on maternity leave. I left a message for the second, and she has not returned my call. I left a message with who I believe to be their supervisor and, again, nothing. I'm due in two weeks; this was several days ago. This was after several misrouted voicefiles; I think I've left four with various people.

So what to do?

My plans so far are:
1. Make a copy of my birthplan to put on the door, the bulletin board in the room (assuming they have one), my chart, and my doctor's office chart.
2. Make a huge sign for the same places indicating no perfume/cologne allowed.
3. Obviously, DH will be very vocal for me, and he will have a copy of the above to hand out.
4. Bring the cloth with (this eliminates the chemical/perfume smell of sposies) and use it whether they like it or not.
5. Have my oxygen prescription on file (required for migraine abortion); I require a specific setting with a certain type of mask. The coordinator assured me it would be available, but most oxygen places I've worked with don't even know what a Ventimask is.

My whole point in contacting them directly was so I could work WITH them, not AGAINST them. I'm sure there are things I can do to help them out in this so they comply with my needs. This isn't going to happen if they don't CALL ME BACK!

Any advice?

My next plan of action is to just go to L&D early and pull one of the unit coordinators off the floor and make them walk through the points with me, one at a time. I don't want to do this, but geez!

Advertisement

bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: cloth diapers at hospital/birth plans...what to do?

My advice is to do what you have to and get it done!
It will set your mind at rest.
I tend to not follow through with exactly how I want things because I don't want to be a b*tch but then I was disappointed with how things turned out.
Good luck mama!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would have your OB try to contact them on your behalf. So much, if not all, of your requirements are related to a medical condition.

I would go outside the birthing center and contact hospital administration asap. Let them know the L&D has been unresponsive and it is unacceptable.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysforme View Post
My advice is to do what you have to and get it done!
It will set your mind at rest.
I tend to not follow through with exactly how I want things because I don't want to be a b*tch but then I was disappointed with how things turned out.
Good luck mama!
See, if these things were "optional" or just my "desires", I wouldn't be as concerned. My concern is that these things are actual medical necessity for a really rare form of migraines; a form most health care providers do not even know exist. They nod their heads like they know what I'm talking about, and then they usually insist on giving me typical migraine meds, which, if they knew about basilar migraines at all, would know can cause a stroke in us.

I don't want to walk in there with my "no perfume" rule and then have to explain why while I'm tanking. Literally, if someone gets around me with a flower-based perfume (and some women bathe in this stuff!), it impairs my neurologic function. I've been pretty protected by the hormones of pregnancy so far, but the closer I get to delivery, the more episodes I have. The hormonal shift of labor, delivery, and postpartum makes these things VERY unpredictable! I could be just fine, or I could be struggling...never know.

I'm just going to get my ducks in a row and go about things like I normally do. If this information gets to them beforehand, all the better. If not, I tried to warn them!

If anyone has any more ideas, I'm always open to them!

Last edited by bean3; 06-16-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancifulFanny View Post
I would have your OB try to contact them on your behalf. So much, if not all, of your requirements are related to a medical condition.

I would go outside the birthing center and contact hospital administration asap. Let them know the L&D has been unresponsive and it is unacceptable.
That's a good idea. I can give a copy of my requests to the doc to incorporate into a letter to L&D. That's one I didn't think of yet.

It was interesting that L&D referred me to my doc, and my doc referred me to L&D. Go figure...

I don't want to be hasty, but there is a deadline on all of this. I will see my doc on Monday, so I can get things jumpstarted then as well.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would get your dr to call them . and talk to someone .. Bc if you go into labor.. tomorrow.. they will wisk you in there.. and start doing what they usually do .. then you are fighting them.. it is better to try to get your dr involved..
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbehaven007 View Post
I would get your dr to call them . and talk to someone .. Bc if you go into labor.. tomorrow.. they will wisk you in there.. and start doing what they usually do .. then you are fighting them.. it is better to try to get your dr involved..
I'm not worried about fighting them; been fighting docs for many years about various issues, ESPECIALLY this one. My DH definitely is as vocal as I am and very much the "wall" when it comes to getting things done for me. He was military management for a long time, so he is very "diplomatic" in getting things done.

I'm not worried about being wisked away and being out of control, but they need to know that, if they choose not to cooperate with these issues, they are compromising my ability to actually deliver this kid. It is to their benefit to work WITH me. I'd like them to know this BEFORE I get there!
Old 06-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
Suzanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your requests are not in any way too much to ask, nor are then frivolous in any way. I think your doctor should be in contact with L&D to discuss the seriousness of your medical concerns. The L&D floor needs to be made aware of your special concerns. You have a good plan for preventative measures, but the hospital staff needs to be on the same page!
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
Your requests are not in any way too much to ask, nor are then frivolous in any way. I think your doctor should be in contact with L&D to discuss the seriousness of your medical concerns. The L&D floor needs to be made aware of your special concerns. You have a good plan for preventative measures, but the hospital staff needs to be on the same page!
Agreed!

Thanks for everyone's input...I have a better plan now!
Old 06-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
rebyell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any advice, but , when I was in labor my nurses perfume really bothered me. Not that it gave me a headache, but I was pretty annoyed smelling her.

With my first DD, my "Doula in training" came in with a cup of coffee, it stunk so bad, and usually I like coffee.

I also get migraine, although I don't know what from, so I have a little bit of an idea what you go through.

Good luck and enjoy that little baby!