Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #11
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: cloth diapers at hospital/birth plans...what to do?

You could also simply walk into L&D with information printed out and explain yourself to the nurses on staff at that time - like go in Monday at some point - before you go into labor. If they're not going to return phone calls I would be in there face.

Just as with any situation - people do better when given the information to deal woth things. Let them know exactly what you deal with and what your needs are because of it. Like you said, not many people know of your form of migranes - educate the nurses on staff before you get there. if the supervisors won't you're going to have to be your own advocate and that should embarrass hosp administration sufficiently.

Advertisement

FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
Granolamomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm ragging on ya... but I would've started trying to express these needs earlier than 2 weeks before you are due. Just because you are doing a hospital birth and hospitals can well...jerk you around from person to person. Like you I deal with migraines at an extreme level, so I would've started a few weeks earlier just to make sure that all of my ducks were in a row.

As for the cloth diapers *my* hospital gave me a hard time. Clearly they couldn't stop me from using them once DS was rooming with me (which is when I started using them) but I had a concerned nurse tell me to be glad that I didn't have them put one on DS beforehand because some nurse would've just trashed them.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #13
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granolamomma View Post
I hope this doesn't sound like I'm ragging on ya... but I would've started trying to express these needs earlier than 2 weeks before you are due. Just because you are doing a hospital birth and hospitals can well...jerk you around from person to person. Like you I deal with migraines at an extreme level, so I would've started a few weeks earlier just to make sure that all of my ducks were in a row.

As for the cloth diapers *my* hospital gave me a hard time. Clearly they couldn't stop me from using them once DS was rooming with me (which is when I started using them) but I had a concerned nurse tell me to be glad that I didn't have them put one on DS beforehand because some nurse would've just trashed them.
No problem...rag away!

I did actually start earlier. My docs have known all along, but my neurologist is in Chicago, and my OB is in Kalamazoo, MI (about 2.5-3 hours apart). I also rotate docs, so the one that really knew what was going on was the one I hadn't seen in a little while.

So they (docs) said "oh, it shouldn't be any problem...just make a quick call to L&D". I really started to get concerned when L&D said to talk to my doc. Okay...

The glory of it (and it really is glorious!) is that my OB docs have not seen these things in action, which means I have been protected by pregnancy hormones (it can really go either way). You can know something on paper, but to actually witness it is another thing.

DH has lived with me having these for seven years (half that time undiagnosed), so he can easily be my advocate should I not have the capacity. He can tell by the look in my eyes and my demeanor...I'm very fortunate!
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #14
katiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you really have problems w/nurses and doctors wearing perfume? They shouldn't be wearing any at all. When I was in nursing school (never finished because I figured out very quickly it wasn't for me) we were told not to wear perfume at all because it could bother patients. That's awful that it bothers you so badly and you get migraines from it -- I hope you get things figured out and that your baby's birth turns out like you hope! Good luck mama!
Old 06-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #15
haydensmom
Registered Users

I think you've gotten some great advice so far! Hopefully your doc will advocate well for you. I would actually ask him/her to call L&D while you're still in the office. Don't let him give you the "I'm busy," excuse! There's no saying that you'll actually go up to your due date. If it were me, I would go into L&D if I haven't heard anything by Tuesday.

Good luck with everything!!
haydensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #16
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most hospitals now have a fragrance free policy for just this reason (but if it is followed is another matter entirely). The next step I would do is to call the hospital and ask for the administrator on call. Tell him/her your issues and what you have done to communicate with the hospital. Be assertive! I hate to say it but you will need to work hard to protect yourself during your stay. People don't even realize what fragrances they pour on themselves everyday. You will need to do a lot of teaching being very specific about products you are sensitive to. A crib sign, door sign, allergy band, chart allergy sticker, MD orders in your chart, note in baby's chart, and educating hospital staff every shift is a good start. Most departments in the hospital don't communicate very well and don't be suprised if housekeeping, lab, or even the nurses "forget" your sensitivities. People get so set in their routines and blinded by it too that you may have people not even "see" your signs. It is not fair or right but hopefully you will win this war and educate a lot of people in the process.
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #17
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Will I have problems with nurses/docs with perfume? Maybe not; I worked for a neurology office with the no-perfume policy to protect their migraine patients. Even in this practice, while talking to one of my colleagues, she grabbed for some scented hand lotion, and I was slurring words within the minute. No one realizes where these scents hide.

When I get there, I plan to throw out their soap, any shampoos and such they may have, etc. I already have these packed in my bag.

Oddly, I had to hunt for a certain type of maxipad because the ones I used to use (use a Diva Cup now, but not for postpartum) now have "odor absorbers" that set off my migraines.

I love the advice you gals are giving me...I'm taking it all!

Don't remember if I mentioned, but I'm not even going to let them use products when bathing the baby, if they do bathe him at all. Just plain water...period. No talcum powders, lotions, etc...don't even want them in my room.

I'm hoping I'm being overzealous about this and I end up with no problems! I'm used to working hard to protect myself from these things, so I don't see shyness as being a problem with me! DH and I have already agreed that, should someone come into the room that sets me off, we will jointly send them on their way. If he has to catch, he has to catch!
Old 06-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #18
orteggleston
Registered Users
seller
seller

I hope all goes well for you mama! Do you have any idea at all how the nursery/post partum are organized...I know it varies from hospital to hospital.

When we had ds#2 the hospital was very hands off...private rooms, baby stayed with me for recovery, bath (plain water) was done in my room several hours later, baby only left my room once to be under lights for jaundice (otherwise he'd have never left), and nurses would peek in and check vitals and such but that was it.

It was a bit rough for the first couple days (I had a c-section so I couldn't get out of bed at first), but other than that I loved it! It was so nice not to be bothered, yet to be taken care of all at the same time

I agree that you should talk with your OB and see if he/she can help

ISO: Luxe Baby Wool
orteggleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #19
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by orteggleston View Post
I hope all goes well for you mama! Do you have any idea at all how the nursery/post partum are organized...I know it varies from hospital to hospital.

When we had ds#2 the hospital was very hands off...private rooms, baby stayed with me for recovery, bath (plain water) was done in my room several hours later, baby only left my room once to be under lights for jaundice (otherwise he'd have never left), and nurses would peek in and check vitals and such but that was it.

It was a bit rough for the first couple days (I had a c-section so I couldn't get out of bed at first), but other than that I loved it! It was so nice not to be bothered, yet to be taken care of all at the same time

I agree that you should talk with your OB and see if he/she can help
I know the unit was in a temporary location until April 15th while they were renovating the "new" unit. So I will be delivering in a brand new facility (the entire hospital has been under ongoing reconstruction for probably the last 10-12 years).

I figured they could at least forward me some type of general policy literature, which I have asked for, but they have not done this yet. There is no information on their website (nor was I directed to it) regarding their default policies. This would make things MUCH easier when trying to figure out how much of a nuisance to be!
Old 06-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #20
sroblyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: cloth diapers at hospital/birth plans...what to do?

Just a not about the no products on baby for bath. I am a Childbirth nurse and wated to add that they will have a very hard time getting all the vernix (white cheesy stuff they are covered with inside) off with no soap of any kind. How does Cetaphil treat you? You could bring some of that to the hospital for the bath.
Shanon