Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #21
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Re: cloth diapers at hospital/birth plans...what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroblyer View Post
Just a not about the no products on baby for bath. I am a Childbirth nurse and wated to add that they will have a very hard time getting all the vernix (white cheesy stuff they are covered with inside) off with no soap of any kind. How does Cetaphil treat you? You could bring some of that to the hospital for the bath.
Shanon
Thank you for this tidbit! I honestly do not know about Cetaphil; I've not tried it. The bar soap I am taking is Aveeno fragrance-free; I would think that "could" be gentle enough for a baby? I can always try the Cetaphil tomorrow.

Any idea how gentle Aveeno would be? I can always take an extra bar to hand to them for the bath.

Thanks!

Advertisement

bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #22
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Just a not about the no products on baby for bath. I am a Childbirth nurse and wated to add that they will have a very hard time getting all the vernix (white cheesy stuff they are covered with inside) off with no soap of any kind. How does Cetaphil treat you? You could bring some of that to the hospital for the bath.
Shanon

I am no expert, but don't many people skip a bath all together and actually work the vernix into babies skin? I thought it was good for the skin?
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:50 PM   #23
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Wow, I just googled vernix and bath and came up with a ton of resources.

http://www.tipslimited.com/SkincareF...entialHarm.htm

http://www.expressyourselfmums.co.uk...asp?case_id=79
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #24
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3girls View Post
Wow, I just googled vernix and bath and came up with a ton of resources.

http://www.tipslimited.com/SkincareF...entialHarm.htm

http://www.expressyourselfmums.co.uk...asp?case_id=79
I will definitely look into this...I'd be just as happy with them NOT bathing him. Very interesting!
Old 06-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #25
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm interesting!!
Old 06-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #26
sroblyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: cloth diapers at hospital/birth plans...what to do?

Yes you can skip the bath and work in the vernix, depending on how much the baby has. If they are covered in it, it would not work very well. If they just have a little you could do this. The baby would be considered "dirty" (I know that sounds horrible), but all that means is that the staff would have to wear gloves when handing the baby, if no bath was given (due to your body fluids being on the baby).
Cetaphil is a soft gentle cleanser. I doesn't really even sudz. No fragrance and supposed to be allergen free. I have had to use it on my girls sensitive skin. I usually find it in the stores next to the facial cleansers (green container), if you want to try it. I would think that an adult Aveeno would not be sensitive enought for baby's skin, not sure though. Aveeno does make a baby line, but unsure if any of it is unscented.
Shanon
Old 06-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #27
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Yes you can skip the bath and work in the vernix, depending on how much the baby has. If they are covered in it, it would not work very well. If they just have a little you could do this. The baby would be considered "dirty" (I know that sounds horrible), but all that means is that the staff would have to wear gloves when handing the baby, if no bath was given (due to your body fluids being on the baby).
Cetaphil is a soft gentle cleanser. I doesn't really even sudz. No fragrance and supposed to be allergen free. I have had to use it on my girls sensitive skin. I usually find it in the stores next to the facial cleansers (green container), if you want to try it. I would think that an adult Aveeno would not be sensitive enought for baby's skin, not sure though. Aveeno does make a baby line, but unsure if any of it is unscented.
Shanon
Good info! I tend to go minimalistic when it comes to soaps and such. Aveeno is fine for me, because I'm trying to just avoid the fragrance, but I did also wonder how "gentle" it would be. I could try their baby line, but I'm discovering "baby" products are not as gentle as they want us to be believe.

My friend has extremely allergic/sensitive skin, and Cetaphil is all she can use. I'll have to see if I can get a sample size of their cleanser or something to try out on the LO. I'm often up a creek because, even if something says "no added fragrance", that does not make it fragrance free (I even have to stay away from a lot of health food store brands of things!); I don't remember this being a problem with Cetaphil. I know I can get it at my local Walgreens, so I'll check it out.

Now I get to go report all my newest discoveries to DH! He'll actually be quite thrilled that there are more options and we know the score a bit better now.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2007, 09:50 PM   #28
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, they actually use aromatherapy at a hospital? Are they insane? Most hospitals here are going 'fragrance free' where they are asking people not to wear any kind of perfumes because of people having health problems with it - migranes as well as asthma, etc. Wow.... sorry, can't believe it that...

I know some places are pretty agressive about bathing the baby. My sister is a NICU nurse and she said they have to within a few hours for infection control. I got up to maternity at 7pm and my husband was going home for the night a nd they wanted to bathe our baby over night. We politely declined and said we'd like to both be there and were comfortable doing it at home... they let us without an argument...

Good luck. It shouldn't be this much of a battle for you!!
clarinetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:31 AM   #29
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetb View Post
Okay, they actually use aromatherapy at a hospital? Are they insane? Most hospitals here are going 'fragrance free' where they are asking people not to wear any kind of perfumes because of people having health problems with it - migranes as well as asthma, etc. Wow.... sorry, can't believe it that...

I know some places are pretty agressive about bathing the baby. My sister is a NICU nurse and she said they have to within a few hours for infection control. I got up to maternity at 7pm and my husband was going home for the night a nd they wanted to bathe our baby over night. We politely declined and said we'd like to both be there and were comfortable doing it at home... they let us without an argument...

Good luck. It shouldn't be this much of a battle for you!!

Yup, aromatherapy! I wasn't planning (or not planning) a water birth, but I wanted to make sure I could relax in a warm tub. So, after discussing the perfume issue further and exactly WHAT scents set me off (lavender, orchids...any flowers are the death of me!), she *mentioned* I would want to stay away from the birthing tub because they use aromatherapy.

I know people think it is relaxing and helps your state of mind, but for me it will relax me darn near into comatose status; well, not quite comatose, but I get very unresponsive. I've dealt with it for so long that, when I encounter a bad scent for me, I instinctively stop breathing. I CAN breathe, but I don't breathe until I can get away from it. The less I take in, the more protected I am.

I was a bit surprised they are using things like aromatherapy as well. That's a mixed message: Tell the nurses not to wear perfumes but then use smelly spa stuff IN the rooms. Goofy.

ETA: It is not just perfumes, it is colognes and aftershaves as well. This should be interesting!
Old 06-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #30
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It shouldn't be this hard for you! I know people find aromatherapy relaxing, but it really isn't something I thought they would ever use at the hospital.

Do you have a midwife or an OB? Is there a possibility of staying at home for most of your labour? We're in Ontario, Canada and the midwives are all associated with hospitals as well as doing home births, so you can labour at home as long as you want, even if you want a hospital birth. It's nice because it gives you all the options.

If you're printing signs, I'd print them on coloured paper! They're much harder to miss if they're coloured.

Good health to you and the baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean3 View Post
Yup, aromatherapy! I wasn't planning (or not planning) a water birth, but I wanted to make sure I could relax in a warm tub. So, after discussing the perfume issue further and exactly WHAT scents set me off (lavender, orchids...any flowers are the death of me!), she *mentioned* I would want to stay away from the birthing tub because they use aromatherapy.

I know people think it is relaxing and helps your state of mind, but for me it will relax me darn near into comatose status; well, not quite comatose, but I get very unresponsive. I've dealt with it for so long that, when I encounter a bad scent for me, I instinctively stop breathing. I CAN breathe, but I don't breathe until I can get away from it. The less I take in, the more protected I am.

I was a bit surprised they are using things like aromatherapy as well. That's a mixed message: Tell the nurses not to wear perfumes but then use smelly spa stuff IN the rooms. Goofy.

ETA: It is not just perfumes, it is colognes and aftershaves as well. This should be interesting!
clarinetb is offline   Reply With Quote